Supplements Question

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

LISA,

We have a lot in common! I think many that suffer from Celiac have gone down the same road, I think the key to unraveling it all is to continually ask "why?". For instance, Epstein Barr is a virus that is related to Mono and when your diagnosed as having it, that only means you have an immune system that allows a high count of the virus to hang out in your system. Everyone in this country (virtually) carries the virus, it just depends how high your count is....so, "why?" why are our immune systems too weak to kick it out? Almost everyone in this country does what it takes to become infected with Candida, why are some infected and others go on to lead a normal life? I think eventually you get to the bottom of it, if it is genetic then fine, if it is enviromental, o.k., but we have to know what to fight, right? Continually putting out fires and not stopping the guy running around with the match isn't gonna cut it. ;) Your on the right road, don't stop until you understand all that you need to...

As far as the Candida goes, that is still an issue with me...there is another discussion on the topic if you do a search for it you'll see all that we all have learned about fighting it. I am getting somewhere, but I have been looking into Probiotics (I can send you some links to look at if your interested) lately because they seem to be what I am missing. Haven't tried them yet, from what I've learned, those with HSOs (Soil based organisms) are the only ones that will truly do much to repopulate your intestines with the good bugs. Anyway, that is a long story!

Donna,

What are you taking? That sounds great! I need more energy badly, the packets I take really help, and so many things are improving but we need all the help we can get.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:07 PM

Hi Carol,

The only one I've tried is Market America. I know there are brand on-line, but this is a powder you mix with water (I can't swallow pills!) and it's absorbed 95% in 5 minutes. A friend of mine recommended them to me last year when I was REALLY sick and thank God, because I couldn't swallow my vitamins any more. I take all my supplements this way now.

You can find more information about OPCs at www.opc.cc I think this site has a link to another brand that sells it also, but Doctors Klatz and Goldman recommended the Market America brand above the rest - so that's what I use, plus I get them at cost through the company now too so it's more affordable!

Lisa,
That's how I felt. I new those ingredients wouldn't hurt me, but I had NO idea they'd do so MUCH either. I've never gone a day without the OPC since. I've gone off the ORACs a few times, but then I heard it may be even more powerful than the OPCs so I went back on it.

The biggest drawback is their cost. Being healthy always has it's price, doesn't it? Even good food costs more!

#18 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Donna. I'm sure we have some good stuff. Just wondered what you took. Do you do the recommended dosage or do you take more. I will definately check out that site. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#19 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:47 AM

Oh yeah, dosage...

To start with, you take a loading dose (2x the maintenance dose) for 7-10 days. Goes by weight too. It MUST be taken faithfully (every morning on an EMPTY stomach). If you miss just one day, you'll notice a difference and disrupt your progress b/c it is all-natural and will be completely out of your system within 24-36 hours (?). I know people who were on it a while and missed a day and got a cold right away! I also know people who weren't faithful to it from the start and therefore never saw results.

Let me tell you, there is NOBODY that this stuff won't help! But you've got to take it right or it won't. Now, of course, I've been told by Market America people that the other brands don't work as well (but you know how that goes!) - but there is the testimony of those 2 doctors who push the M.A. brand in their book.

Look up OPC on the web - I'm sure there's more to be read about it and other distributors too.

OH!!! Don't forget the aloe vera! Aloe has long been known to have wonderful healing properties. It also contains many enzymes which play a part in the reduction of indigestion and inflammation. It's great for heartburn, stomach upset, gas, diarrhea and constipation. Someone I knew had gastroenteritis and is no longer bothered by it thanks to Aloe and OPC alone - even went off the meds he used to take.

I HIGHLY recommend ALOE, and OPCs and ORAC - But most of my experience is with the ALOE and OPC. I only know about ORAC from what I've read - and since I've taken OPC faithfully for 7 months now and only ORAC occassionaly, my testimony is on the OPC. But I agree that ORAC could potentially be even better!

Please look into it! You'll be SO happy you did!

-donna

#20 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

I have aloe vera in my frige. Need to remember to add it to my smoothies. When I first got this bottle I was down sick with something and not sure what caused it (my IBS was acting up) so I didn't take it and then forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#21 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

Hi Lisa922,

I was just read some of your old threads. How are you feeling? Did the gastroenterologist test you for any nutritional deficiencies?

BTW, I use natural progesterone cream and can't live without it! My endocrinologist isn't non-supportive of the cream but neither is she looking to promote its use.

#22 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hi, Tammy - thanks for checking on me! I have been feeling rather miserable the last week. I really think I am having another partial blockage of my bile duct because I'm having the same pains I had before they did the ultrasound to notice I had a stone in my bile duct. They did an ERCP w/sphincterotomy and that helped a lot, but now the pains are back! I see the gastro dr again in early August, so I'm sure he'll address it then. He did do the nutritional testing, althought the lab made a mistake and forgot to run the vitamin D! He actually ran them kind of as a favor because I see my endocrinologist in July and he wants her to advise me on the supplements. I asked if he would run the tests so I wouldn't have to wait as long to get results. So far, everything is looking pretty good! Most of my results are in the normal range, and are a little under the half-way mark, so that makes me feel very good!! I am currently taking 3 Viactiv chews a day and will continue with that until my July appt and I see if she wants to increase it. I haven't purchased any other supplements yet, since I'm going to wait for that appt first, but I am going to follow some of the advice I received on this thread. It has been wonderful!! I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment with getting the stuff in order to have my children tested. I received my kits from Prometheus yesterday and am in the process of getting the paperwork I need from the doctor's office and for the lab. The hospital said to come back Thursday since Tues and Wed are their chemo days, so ARGH, I guess I'll have to wait until then! I wanted to get it over with today, but I don't want to disrupt anyone's chemo schedule - that would be rude! I'm glad the progesterone cream is working for you. I have heard great things about it. I see my gyn in July also, so I am going to ask him to run some hormonal testing to see where my levels are for that. I had to have my uterus removed last Sept. so I want to make sure the old ovaries are doing what they're supposed to.

LISA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: