This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Had A Breakdown In Whole Foods

Kingschild

Kingschild Newbie

My daughter's been gluten-free for 4 months now. I've been handling it pretty well. But yesterday, I was just overwhelmed by the money I'm spending on groceries and how my daughter is always asking, "Mom, what can I eat?" *sigh*

So, in the middle of Whole Foods...I just started crying. :(

I feel like a bad Mom right now. I don't feel like I'm doing enough to make sure she has enough variety in what she eats. Mommy guilt, I guess.

Oh well, I know this will get easier as time goes by.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I just wanted to send you cyber {{{{{HUGS}}}}}. I've been spending a lot as well, and it definitely can get overwhelming. I do believe it gets better. I've been spending a lot on some of the foods I CAN have that I normally wouldn't eat, but have just felt like I needed to treat myself. Hopefully my "need" for those will decrease soon, lol.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Mysti, don't be so hard on yourself. This is very frustrating I know - my dh and I have been doing this for 7 months now, and I still wonder what I can eat everyday. I try to buy as little specialized gluten-free food as I can, and just go to the regular grocery store and buy mainstream foods that are naturally gluten-free. Fruits, veggies, potatoes, chicken, beef, pork, etc.

Hang in there, it will get easier!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Sending you some cyber hugs too......{{{{{{{{{{ hugs }}}}}}}}}}

The expense can be overwhelming. I know in Canada, celiacs can claim the difference between a regular item and gluten-free one (you have to keep receipts, keep a log, etc) on their income tax. I don't know if you have the same option in the States.

I take comfort in the hope that as this disease becomes more mainstream, so will the foods and therefore the prices will go down (due to supply and demand....)

Hugs.

Karen

key Contributor

I am sorry you are feeling so bummed. I have been gluten-free for like 9 months now and it does get easier. I find if I make up some casseroles that are gluten-free and have them available, it does make it easier. My son was younger, so it is nice for him that he doesn't have to miss certain foods. He doesn't know any better, but I miss some foods badly.

Try and eat more simply, with brown rice, soups, beans, corn tortillas. I try and shop at Wal-mart super center for my other foods now, because it is at least cheaper for the rest of our food. I only buy a few specialty gluten-free products. YOu will find your favorites.

Have you tried Pamela's pancake mix? My kids love them, but they are a bit pricey.

Hugs,

Monica

jknnej Collaborator

Hopefully the new food labeling law will help you now that all foods have to be clearly labeled for wheat. (except what was left over on the shelf from last year). I agree with whomever posted about the regular grocery store. I don't shop at specialty stores anymore; who can afford it? I go to the regular store and buy stuff I know is gluten free. We make BBQ chicken or pork chops or steak and I eat baked potatoes and veggies. It's much cheaper than Whole Foods!!

Try to hang in there-it will get a lot easier!

floridanative Community Regular

Kingschild - big hugs from me too. I never thought in a million years that I would pat myself on the back for going grocery shopping without crying. My first trip to WF was Wed. and I was alone. I wanted to go on a non weekend day since I knew I'd be in peoples way (reading labels) on a weekend day. I came close to tears fairly quickly but the only time I really almost lost it was when I was looking at all the soups (lots of gluten-free ones) and a lady reached for the crab bisque. I decided to check it and of course if was not gluten-free. I felt like an idiot getting so upset that I could not have a stupid soup when people die every day from starvation - some in this country. But then I realized that I was not making myself feel this way...it was just natural..I coudn't help myself and neither can you. Heck I was so happy to find the Pamela's pancake mix (with help of store clerk) that I didn't even look at the price. My hubby decided to see what I'd spend $72 on - after all that shoping we didn't have anything in the house for dinner the next night that was safe. He was aghast to see the pancake mix was $5.99. I said I will not live without pancakes too - get over it. :) I must believe like others here have said, it will get easier but sometimes you just have to cry yourself out and dont' beat yourself up for it.

And to all you mothers out there, my hat is off to you. We don't have kids and this thing is driving me batty. I don't know how the heck you do it. You must all be saints.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Please look into a co-op. I found 4 other Celiac familys to split bulk gluten free specialty items with. The one I joined is www.unitedbuyingclubs.com with the advice on the great products and what not to waste the money on helped so much in the beginning too. Now I stock up when the items I use go ON SALE from the co-op. I've never seen the health food store give 15 -40% off yet on gluten free products.

Laura

tarnalberry Community Regular

I agree with focusing on all the food she can have. My kitchen is filled with gluten-free stuff. Lots of fruits and veggies and nuts. Meats and grains too, of course, but as those tend to require cooking, I try to make sure I always have some leftovers in the fridge, of a couple different things, so I always have something I can grab.

chrissy Collaborator

i completely understand!! i've had to fight back tears in the store before, and i am worried about feeding my kids properly, too. it seems like i am spending so much more for food------we have 8 kids at home and i already felt like i barely had enough grocery money pre-diagnosis. i sure am hoping that as this becomes more "natural?" for us, it will be easier to spend less money.

christine

Guest nini

I have had my breakdowns in the grocery store many times...

believe me, it gets easier as time goes by. I've found so many mainstream foods that are naturally gluten free that I try to stick with those for the most part. I write articles for my health food store's newsletter and that gets me a hefty discount on the specialty gluten free items, believe me, I need it! My daughter is five and I have to not only keep her and me fed, but I have to have foods for her that are as "normal" as possible so that she doesn't feel like an alien eating lunch with her friends. Plus she is responsible for bringing in the class snack once a month and I do NOT buy specialty foods for that. We stick with things like fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, pudding cups, raisins, cheetos, funyons... stuff like that so that the other kids don't think her food is weird or different.

In fact, today was her day to bring snacks. I went to Wal Mart and got the Hunts pudding cups and a pack of plastic spoons... she said the pudding cups were a huge hit and all the kids loved them.

I have to say that I really really love Wal Mart for labeling their Great Value brand products that are gluten free. It really makes it so much easier to look at something and know for sure! They are still phasing these labels in, so just keep looking.

Whole Foods is pricey, but they do have a list on their website of safe stuff, and you can ask for a copy at customer service if you forget to take it with you.

It's getting better. Just three years ago it was a lot harder to find good gluten free foods for cheap.

Guest BERNESES

(((((Hugs))))- It can be really overwhelming. If you post or PM me your email, I will send you the delphi gluten free lisy which is 70 pages of mainstream, affordable stuff. Whole foods is great, but it's expensive. The first time I went in there to shop, I thought I was going to faint!

debmidge Rising Star

Ahhhh..I got teary for you just reading the post. It'll get better and then you'll stick your tongue out at gluten and say "I don't need or want YOU any more!"

Archived