This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamins

gointribal

gointribal Enthusiast

I am looking for some good vitamins, I've heard prenatal vitamins are really good (as long as they are gluten-free) and I was wondering if a lack of iron can make you cold? I am always cold and I don't know if it’s that or if it’s because I just have bad blood circulation?! I do, however, get really hot when I eat gluten, my face gets flushed and I get the chills (I kind of feel like I have the flu). Can anyone else relate? Oh and my hair starts to fall out if I eat gluten, what’s up with that? Is it a nutrient thing? I have so much to learn…lol…thanks guys for any input!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

I think it is. i have been FREEZINg for the lasy year since I developed the symptoms of Celiac's. I just got my blood test results back and I have very little iron! I just started taking my multi-vitamin again (my stomach couldn't handle it for awhile) and it seems to be getting a bit better. Last winter I had to wear termal underwear 24/7.

SueC Explorer

GNC has a great iron supplement. It is called Ironchel 18. It is pretty easy on the stomach.

nettiebeads Apprentice
I am looking for some good vitamins, I've heard prenatal vitamins are really good (as long as they are gluten-free) and I was wondering if a lack of iron can make you cold? I am always cold and I don't know if it’s that or if it’s because I just have bad blood circulation?! I do, however, get really hot when I eat gluten, my face gets flushed and I get the chills (I kind of feel like I have the flu). Can anyone else relate? Oh and my hair starts to fall out if I eat gluten, what’s up with that? Is it a nutrient thing? I have so much to learn…lol…thanks guys for any input!

I have problems with low iron and always cold. I've been told that the iron that is easiest for your body to use is ferrous fumerate. That came from a pharmacist. And your hair falling out after gluten - gluten causes major stress for your body and the hair falling out is a symptom of the stress, and the fact that your villi are damaged by gluten and so can't properly absorb nutrients. So stay gluten free - obsessively even.

Annette

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I know that low iron makes you cold--I always take Nature Made Woman +50 and I grabbed the one without iron in it and didnt realize it--its called Woman 50+. I couldnt figure out why I was so cold and tired all the time. So, yeah, iron does that. Gointribal, why would you eat gluten for any reason if you know you must be gluten-free. Save your hair and your health--no gluten--ok. Deb

gointribal Enthusiast

Berneses, I saw that you were from Portsmouth, NH! I from Epsom, NH, great to hear from a fellow New Hampshirite! Deb, you're right I should stay away from gluten, however, I don't even know if I have celiac?! So often I feel like its all in my head, my blood test came back normal, exept for a percentage (which I didn't really understand) and its not until Feb when I go in for my EDG. Waiting has been the hardest part :(

Guest BERNESES

Goin Tribal- Stay away from the gluten! And if youever want to get together for lunch or dinner- email me. I NEVER get to eat with fellow celiac's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

If your hair falls out when you eat gluten, I would think that is enough to tell you that you shouldn't eat gluten.

My blood test came back negative, but all my symtoms went away after I stopped eating gluten (I started on the diet after the blood test but before I got the results). I don't care what the tests say; I don't want to be sick again. I have felt so good lately that I have wondered if I'm imagining how bad I used to feel. I almost want to have a big bowl of pasta just to confirm to myself that this is really my problem, but then some part of me knows I will get really, really sick and it isn't worth it.

I'm having an endoscopy this week (for another reason) and while they are down there I asked them to check for celiac. Since my blood test was negative, I'm thinking the biopsy will be too, but I'm still sticking with my diet.

Once I feel much better we are going to try to get pregnant. I went ahead and started on the prenatal vitamins because I figured my body could use the boost. I wouldn't think that it would hurt to take them. My health food store thought it was a good idea. I am still always cold and I live in Florida. I keep a heating pad in the living room and turn it on when I'm watching tv, even when it is 70 outside. I hope that gets better.

Archived