This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Safe Alcohol

soul04

soul04 Apprentice

Ok. The list here says that some brands of alcohol are safe while others are not. Some add some sort of wheat product after distillation? How can I be sure that what I'm buying is actually gluten-free?

Also, does anyone have a link to a company that for sure has gluten-free beer available right now?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

"Gluten Free Honey Lager

The beer features a bright golden color and has an alcohol content of around 5.5%. To make a beer

gluten-free, no barley or wheat is used. It includes honey notes and a touch of molasses in the flavor. Only

"noble" hops are used for flavor and aroma. Brewed in dedicated fermenters using kosher yeast. We are

in the process of pricing and shipping costs. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us

directly, GNSRSES@aol.com. You may contact us directly for shipping 1-845-369-7827.

Ramapo Valley Brewery

Open Original Shared Link

We are located at 122 Orange Ave. Suffern, NY 10901

The beer is $30 plus shipping for a case of 24 12 oz bottles. They are also willing to ship out a six pack.

Chris in NY"

Here are some other alcohols that are gluten-free.

"Following is a list that was posted on St. John's last year. You can call the 800 number and get a fresh list. Smirnoff has LONG been known to be gluten-free. It's made from corn. Any potato vodka is definitely gluten-free, but really the only vodka I would be concerned about is one with flavors added. " --lovegrov

Diageo (800.767.3123) (from the ListServ 07/14/02)

"After calling customer service at 800 767-3123, I received the following list from Diageo on its gluten-free brands --lovegrov

GINS:

Booths

Gordons

Gordons Citrus

Gordons Wildberry

Popov

READY-TO-DRINK COCKTAILS:

T.G.I. Friday's On The Rocks

• Censored on the Beach

• Long Island Ice Tea

• Margarita

• Mudslide

• Pina Colada

• Strawberry Daiquiri

• White Russian

The Club Cocktails

• Brass Monkey

• Censored on the Beach

• Gin Martini

• Long Island Ice Tea

• Manhattan

• Margarita

• Mudslide

• Pina Colada

• Screwdriver

• Tom Collins

• Vodka Martini

• Whiskey Sour

BLENDERS:

Jose Curevo Blenders

• Authentic Margarita Mix

• Lime Margarita Mix

• Strawberry Margarita Mix

T.G.I. Friday's Blenders

• Amaretto Mudslide

• Margarita

• Mudslide

• Orange Dream

• Pina Colada

• Strawberry Shortcake

• Raspberry Chiller

• Vanilla Caramel Swirl

LIQUEURS AND SPECIALITIES:

Gran Marnier

Black Haus Blackberry Schnapps

Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps

J

soul04 Apprentice

Wow! Nice reply. Thanks!

jordanandnadia Rookie

Connie,

any idea why the Hornsby's draft cider is not gluten-free? The label doesn't indicate any different ingredients from their apple cider. Anything that could not be gluten-free anyways? Just curious, czuse i love my ciders...

N

road Newbie

hi all, is there any safe beer out there besides ramapo valley.....i have been in contact with major brewers and they assure me their beer is safe, can anyone help i am so confused and thirsty for a good beer....HELP!!!!!!!!!! arrrrrrgh

Connie R-E Apprentice

Nadia,

I looked, but could not find an answer!!

That was copied as-is from another list that didn't shed any light....

I haven't tried any ciders, and couldn't tell you :(

I emailed E.&J. Gallo Winery (I think they make it) with the question, and will let you know what they say.

Connie

Road,

I can't imagiane what major beers would be safe for us! LOL! They'll say anything for a profit!

Have you tried homebrewing?

Connie

calisherbear Rookie

I emailed Wyder's and received this reply:

Thanks for your inquiry. Our Peach and Apple ciders do not contain any

gluten. However, our Pear and Raspberry ciders may have some gluten so for

safety reasons unfortunately we would have to recommend that persons

allergic to gluten not consume our Pear or Raspberry ciders.

Looks like the Pear Cider isn't safe after all.

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

Thanks calisherbear!!

We must always remember to check before we drink/eat--many times the company will change their ingredients or processes.

I updated the list.

Connie

Connie R-E Apprentice

Okay, here is the reply from the winery:

"Mrs. Rieper-Estes,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We appreciate your interest in our winery.

In response to your inquiry, our winemakers advise that our cider beverages under the "Hornsby's" label do contain gluten.

We appreciate your giving us this opportunity to answer your questions. We hope this information is helpful.

Sheryl Hoffman

Consumer Relations"

Well, that wasn't what we wanted to hear :( But, now we know!

Connie

• 4 weeks later...
smack Rookie

Smirnoff Ice in Canada is Gluten Free, so is pur source and pur source light (it's like a premixed 7 up and vodka with a really good after taste)...I wonder why they would add malt to smirnoff ice in the US? hmp.

• 4 months later...
Canadian Karen Community Regular

Does anyone know if Smirnoff Vodka is gluten-free?

Thanks!

Karen

joem5644 Newbie

Smirmoff vodka comes from grain. So, it is not gluten free. However there are vodkas which are gluten free and they are potato vodkas. One brand that I have found is Luksusoswa potato vodka. It is a Polish vodka.

j9n Contributor

I am confused since the Celiac.com webpages states that Smirnoff is made from corn and is ok

j9n Contributor

I have been searching around the internet and I can not find out any more info. I did have some Smirnoff and I think I am reacting to it. I tried to email them but I can not seem to get into their web page.

• 4 months later...
tom Contributor

I have multiple sources stating that smirnoff is from corn, and is ok.

dreamhouses Newbie

Hi, I thought all wines were okay, so I was surprized to see the few on the list...does anyone know why some wines would be off the gluten-free list since they are from grapes? Or are those just some that the vineyard has verified? Thanks, Valerie

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know of any list that has all the gluten-free products in the world on it. Virtually all wines are gluten-free (I would say all but allegedly there are a handfull somewhere that use wheat to finish it off somehow). I'm sure you're safe if you stick with an American wine.

Oh, and the wines you saw listed on this thread -- those are the only wines that company carries. That's why they are the only ones listed.

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) sometimes what we feel might be a gluten reaction is just a tummy ache---after going gluten-free your system is hyper sensitive and alcohol hits us like a rock---maybe that is the problem sometimes when we react to the wines---deb
dreamhouses Newbie

Does anyone know if wine in general is gluten-free? Being from grapes it seems as though it would all be okay. Thanks, Valerie.....OOPS I found the answer but I don't know how to cancel this post (computer challenged!)..

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks.

bmorrow Rookie

I work at winery, so I can state that it is a fact that our wines are gluten free, but all wines can contain small amounts of yeast, and some use an egg additive as a clarifier. Citric acid is also used as an additive, but normally doesn't contain gluten in the U.S.

• 5 weeks later...
DrLeonard Newbie

Not to add to the confusion, but I also got the word that Hornsby's ciders are NOT gluten-free. Earlier in a different message, I had said that I was able to drink them without problem but that's because I thought they were gluten-free---not taking that chance anymore.

Here's what the Gallo people say about their other products:

"In response to your inquiry, all of the wines and champagnes produced by E. & J. Gallo Winery, Modesto, California are completely free of gluten or any gluten by-products.

Under our Bartles & Jaymes product line we produce two kinds of coolers; a wine-base and a malt-base as indicated by the label. The wine cooler is gluten free. Under the Boone's and Boone's Farm line we produce both wine-base and malt-base products. The wine base is gluten-free. In addition, our winemakers advise that our cider beverages under the "Hornsby's" label do contain gluten. Also, our winemakers advise the brandy made by E&J Distillers, including Cask & Cream, may contain trace amounts of gluten.

We appreciate your giving us this opportunity to answer your questions. We hope this information is helpful.

Tammy Adcock

Wine Consultant

Archived