30 replies to this topic

#16 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:28 AM

I found that I can't take it every night because I quickly build up a tolerance. I have not noticed any ill effects or even become remotely addicted to it. For occaisonal use it works really well.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

To all who use melatonin. I used it and it worked terrific. 9 pm and i konked out. after that it didn't work and then i started getting sick again and the only thing we were doing differant was Melatonin and then we talked to a health food lady and she said that Melatonin shouldn't be used by Gluten-Free people. I use Valaerin (or however you spell that) now but I'm not supposed to use it on a regular basis.
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

#18 PeggyV

PeggyV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

I took it every night for about 2 years, but that was 4 years ago. It helped me fall asleep, but sometimes I would wake up still middle of the night. I used to take a couple pills a night, about 6 mg. It never hurt me. I have always had problems absorbing meds. Having taken anything since I have been gluten free, so I dont know now. This was during a period when I was eating lots of gluten. I use to eat a lot of carbs because I did long distance cycling. I also had chronic D during this time. When I stopped eating all the carbs I got better.
"The only thing constant in life is change"
Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change
Gluten free since 10/06

#19 sspitzer5

sspitzer5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Any thoughts on melatonin?

I've been taking time released melatonin for a few months. My problem wasn't falling asleep, it was staying asleep and the time released melatonin really helps!

S

#20 p38lightningbolt

p38lightningbolt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

we talked to a health food lady and she said that Melatonin shouldn't be used by Gluten-Free people.

Walgreen's brand melatonin is gluten-free. I've used melatonin for years with no ill effects, and with considerable benefits. I know when I forget to take it, because I'll be laying in bed wondering why I can't sleep, and then I'll realize that I forgot my melatonin. I only take it when I feel like I will have trouble falling asleep, though. It stops working if you take it every night.

#21 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

To all who use melatonin. I used it and it worked terrific. 9 pm and i konked out. after that it didn't work and then i started getting sick again and the only thing we were doing differant was Melatonin and then we talked to a health food lady and she said that Melatonin shouldn't be used by Gluten-Free people. I use Valaerin (or however you spell that) now but I'm not supposed to use it on a regular basis.

That is too general a statement. She should have backed it up with facts saying why.

My daughter has never been able to sleep without it. She has been taking it off and on but mostly on for about 8 years now. She cannot get to sleep or sleep peacefully with out. Some people are deficent, their bodies are supposed to produce it and they don't. So far it is the safest sleep aid we have found for her.
She is at 3 mg now.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#22 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

Melatonin is my lifesaver. I take 3mg every night now for almost 3 years. Knocks me out! If I wake up in the middle of the night to pee I sometimes take a little more. It does not cause you to wake up groggy.

#23 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

I used to have sleep problems so my dr. suggested melatonin. I tried it and now it's part of my night-time routine. Here are some suggestions:

I take 1mg. each night. It's a perfect dose for me and if there's a night where I really need my sleep, I can take two or three.

I take the sublingual kind (it goes under the tongue). This goes directly into your blood stream and you get the benefits sooner. I can doze-off in 20 minutes or less (when it usually takes me an hour or so without). I think by taking the 3mg orally, it takes longer to get to your blood stream, therefore prolonging the effects.

It doesn't hurt to take this, especially the amount that I take. I get more sleep with it than without, so it's beneficial to my health in the long run.

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

#24 sneezydiva

sneezydiva

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

I love melatonin. It really helps me when I have trouble sleeping (which is a lot more lately since going gluten free), and I have no apparent ill effects from it. But I also recently noticed the autoimmune warning on the bottle when I was checking for gluten when starting the diet. That worries me, so I have been trying not to take it as often. Does anyone have more info about that?
Celiac blood testing negative July 2007
Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007
Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)
Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms
Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted
Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.
Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms
IBS symptoms
Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

#25 rowan108

rowan108

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

I've been taking time released melatonin for a few months. My problem wasn't falling asleep, it was staying asleep and the time released melatonin really helps!

S

Hello,
Can you tell me which kind of melatonin you use please
Thanks!

#26 rowan108

rowan108

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:03 AM

I used to have sleep problems so my dr. suggested melatonin. I tried it and now it's part of my night-time routine. Here are some suggestions:

I take 1mg. each night. It's a perfect dose for me and if there's a night where I really need my sleep, I can take two or three.

I take the sublingual kind (it goes under the tongue). This goes directly into your blood stream and you get the benefits sooner. I can doze-off in 20 minutes or less (when it usually takes me an hour or so without). I think by taking the 3mg orally, it takes longer to get to your blood stream, therefore prolonging the effects.

It doesn't hurt to take this, especially the amount that I take. I get more sleep with it than without, so it's beneficial to my health in the long run.

And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

#27 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

I take Source Naturals. I haven't seen other brands that have a sublingual, but I'm sure there are some out there. I get this from my local health food store and The Vitamin Shoppe.

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

#28 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

I took melatonin during my gluten days for a while. I found that a 1 mg pill would put me to sleep but I would not feel totally awake the next day until afternoon. So what I did was cut the pills in half with a knife, and then cut them again so they were quarters of the original pill. This worked good for me, and I would try to take them 45 minutes to an hours before I went to bed. After reading the Wiki article below, I am not sure I will keep taking it though. The article suggests melatonin increases immune system activity. But it does work well for me to get to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
n individuals with auto-immune disorders, there is concern that melatonin supplementation may exacerbate symptoms due to stimulation of the immune system.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#29 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

I have been doing research on Melatonin lately. My concern is the lack of information available about the effects of melatonin on individuals with auto-immune disorders. Sure it says it is not recommended, and that makes me worry about trying it. I have been experiencing a lot of peri-menopausal symptoms lately and sleep problems are a big issue for me. I HAVE to get some good sleep and soon! The brain fog is getting bad due to so little sleep, It isn't just a problem falling a sleep, it is staying a sleep all night.

My concern is not so much with the celiac disease, because I am extremely careful with my diet and my DH and other symptoms are under control. My main concern is that I also have psoriasis and suspected alopecia areata (due to a bald spot since age 12) and I don't want either of those to get worse! My skin and hair are important to me...

So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#30 leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.

This is what I'm also asking for in my thread "Occasional Insomnia", but nobody has replied yet...
~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008
9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)
Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines
July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"
Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"
Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301
Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history
National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: