This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone Else Not Really Gain Or Lose Weight After Becoming gluten-free?

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I always see posts of people who either gained a ton of weight or lost a ton of weight after becoming gluten-free, but did anyone just kinda maintain their same weight without really trying?

When I first started eating gluten-free (The first 4 months or so), I lost maybe 8 lbs., but for me any weight loss is a lot because I'm really thin to begin with. I'm still probably a few lbs. less than what I was previously but really not that much change. And I eat a fair amount of the gluten-free cookies, cakes and candy.

I'm not complaining because it's not like I want to gain 20 lbs. but I'm just wondering if anyone else had this same experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I lost 25 lbs. total and have only gained back about 8 of it. Its been about 5 months now with no change. I'm bummed because I'd love to have all my weight back but right now I'm only 103.

jerseyangel Proficient

My weight issues with Celiac weren't dramatic, either. In the months before my Dx, when I was the sickest, I lost 15 lbs. Within 2 months of starting the gluten-free diet, I gained 10 lbs. back and have since gained 2 more. I seem to be staying at this weight--although I wouldn't mind losing the 15 again, but this time in a healthy way!

gabrielle Contributor

I have the same weight issues as well. I lost a total of 20 pounds. Now, I am only 103 pounds and sometimes I fluctuate between 101-105. But really no big weight gain/loss (Since going gluten-free). I am only 5'2" so I guess I really don't need the extra weight, but I figured once I went gluten-free that some pounds would come back. Not so.

Felidae Enthusiast

I initially gained about five pounds and my weight has not changed since. I eat constantly too since I'm always hungry. I wouldn't mind another five pounds but it just remains stable. Before I was gluten-free my weight always fluctuated so I guess this is a good thing.

burdee Enthusiast

I had lost about 3# when I had very painful symptoms, before going gluten free. Then I gained back 4# in my first few weeks abstaining from gluten. Now I stay in the same 3# range. I've been 105-110# at 5'4" for 38 years, so I didn't really expect a big weight change. Besides I like my clothes and can't afford many new ones. :lol:

BURDEE

elonwy Enthusiast

I didn't gain or lose weight, but I did lose the bloating, which had always made me feel ten lbs heavier. I never really had weight problems though. I'm 5'1 & 3/8" and weigh 130lbs.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

I lost 53 pounds, which I needed to lose, just not this way. :P The doctor said that I would gain some back but I have not. I am 5"8 1/2 and weigh between 131 1/2 to 133 1/2 pounds. I have been gluten free for 2 years this Feb. 3rd. After we moved to this townhome last June, I dropped another 10 pounds from the 135 I was at. He did an MRI for colon cancer and I was fine, but for the first time in my life I had to count calories up to gain most of the 10 pounds back. The problem was that I drank 2 Ensures (soy allergy) and 2 Frappachinos (dairy allergy) each day. There was no way I could eat that many calories without going into my food allergies. I was using my nebulizer so many times a day, just trying to stop the asthma. And my body just itched something horrible. But no way was I going to stay in a size 6 pair of jeans. I had already sold all my bigger clothes and bought and had alterations done on what I could keep. I was not going through that again. :lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I have the same weight issues as well. I lost a total of 20 pounds. Now, I am only 103 pounds and sometimes I fluctuate between 101-105. But really no big weight gain/loss (Since going gluten-free). I am only 5'2" so I guess I really don't need the extra weight, but I figured once I went gluten-free that some pounds would come back. Not so.

I'm exactly the same as you. Same height, same weight, same fluctuations. I probably will never gain all my weight back but I'd love to get to at least 115. Oh well...at least I'm over 100 now..6 months ago I was at 94 lbs.

mookie03 Contributor

well, its obvious that with celiac, eating gluten and not eating gluten affect every single person differently- some gain before and lose after, some lose before and gain after, and some remain pretty much the same. I didnt ever lose weight prior to going gluten free. When i first went gluten-free, i gained a few pounds in the first 6 months- but more b/c i was ODing on the gluten-free snacks. Now im pretty much back to where i always was, so no net change. And when i say a few pounds, im small like u, so i really mean A FEW POUNDS- like 5. My weight has never fluctuated more than a few pounds.

I think that if ur diet hasnt done a huge overhaul, theres no reason ur weight should change. Replacing cookies for gluten-free cookies isnt likely to make you gain weight if the rest of ur diet has become more healthy-- are u eating more fruit and veggies now? fewer bad carbs? i know for me, this diet has caused me to eat a bit healthier in general so the extra calories from the gluten-free snacks doesnt cause me to gain weight. but everyones bodies are different so i think the excessive weight gain/loss has more to do w/ an individual's absorption

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Proir to diagnosis I lost about 25 pounds and after diagnosis I didn't put any weight on, I seemed to either drop a few pounds or maintain the weight. In the last six months I have put back on a few pounds and am now 5'7" and when I weighed last week I was at 125. So that means I have put on about 10 pounds, but it has taken me 3 years to do it. I think if I get to 130 and maintain that I would be happy. I think a lot of it is that we have taken out the bread, pasta's things like that, the ones that seem to have a lot of calories. Just a theory.

gabrielle Contributor
I'm exactly the same as you. Same height, same weight, same fluctuations. I probably will never gain all my weight back but I'd love to get to at least 115. Oh well...at least I'm over 100 now..6 months ago I was at 94 lbs.

Yeah, 115 would be nice... I hate people saying to me, "You're too thin...eat something." But I eat all the time!! I just can gain the weight. It's comforting to know that others understand your situation- especially when you feel like no one in the world could understand!

• 3 weeks later...
ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm still loosing, about 103 lbs at 5 feet 6..I stopped most of my cardio, but still do my weight lifting. in the winter ppl think i'm anorexic because i'm covered up, once the summer hits they're in shock at the muscle tone, I've had ppl apologize to me for things they were thinking about my weight

Moongirl Community Regular

105 pre dx....Im 5'3 and 2 months gluten-free, I lost about 3 pounds since, and im about 102 right now...i would love to be able to get back up to 110-115. I used to be 125 when i was about 21, now Im 26.

key Contributor

I have lost about 2 lbs gluten free. I think I just don't eat as much. IT is hard being vegetarian. I had lost though before because of celiac. I am 5'2inches and 103lbs now. Everyone thinks I am too skinny. I am kind of sick of it. My husband thinks it is fine, but people think I should gain weight. I don't try either way. I just stay the same basically. I do exercise, because I enjoy it. It gets me out and clears my mind. I have three boys under six years old and I homeschool, so it is more for my mental health and overall health. NOt for weight loss.

MOnica

jenvan Collaborator

Hmmm... I gained 6lbs after going gluten-free, after about 6mos and I've lost 3 of that :) So in a few more I'll be back to my normal, which for me is a healthy weight. I attribute part of those 6lbs to not having energy to work out and trying to many gluten-free baked goods! :)

marcmtl Newbie

I weigh 145 which is 15 lbs less than i did 5 years ago when first told i have celiac. I have not been able to gain weight. I do go to the gym 4 times a weeks and thought that would help and did to some extent but i find that i am thin for my size. I eat my 3 meals a day and some snacking but tend to eat very healthy. I have a cousin with the same condition and like me all we ever hear is you are too thin but we feel good so maybe this is just how we are supposed to be.

Archived