#1 wilbragirl

wilbragirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:29 AM

[font=Times New Roman][size=7]

Does anyone have this problem? I don't know if my body is getting rid of toxins or what.
Seems like I am up every hour or so until about 3AM. Then I sleep right up to 5!

Shari
Vermont :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeAl

GlutenFreeAl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:19 AM

Hi Shari,

I've noticed that I have the same problem when I get glutened. I literally pee every 30 minutes or so. I also get really hyper and can't sleep.

When I'm off gluten, I only get up once or twice during the night to pee (still seems excessive, but that's how my bladder works!)

Are you sure you've eliminated all sources of gluten from your diet?

A secret source I found was herbal tea, which I used to drink a bunch of. Many have barley malt that you need to watch out for.

Good luck!!!

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:33 AM

Are you new to the gluten-free diet and have cut out a lot of starches? It could be that you are eliminating a lot of excess water from your system. I went through this. Even now, I still get up 1-2 times a night, usually 1 time, depending on what I eat, drink, or whatever.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 TestyTommy

TestyTommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have this problem, too. I get up 2-4 times per night to urinate. I also need to urinate every 60-90 minutes during the day, couple with an unquenchable thirst.

I was noticably less thirsty and needed to urinate less after about 6 weeks gluten-free (where I am now), both during the day and during the night.

Anyone else notice less thirst/less need to urinate after going gluten-free?

#5 Nashville

Nashville

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:25 AM

I have always had to urinate a lot, but I seem to be a little more often after going gluten free (about three months now). I have been feeling pretty good of late (my problems were more fatigue than anything else) but I get dehydrated very easily and drink tons of water. I wake up feeling like I am hungover sometimes because I am so dehydrated. A tall glass of water usually takes care of the problem.

#6 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

TestyTommy - yes my frequency has reduced by maybe 70% since going gluten-free but I'v only been on the diet for 6 days so I don't know if this will continue. I am still drinking same amount of fluids (8+ glasses water per day plus hot tea or coffee). I have never had severe thirst issues on or off gluten however. I will be very happy if this is my symptom of being glutened since I don't have other GI issues I didn't know how I'd know if I'd taken in gluten by mistake or not.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#7 wilbragirl

wilbragirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

[font=Tahoma][size=7]
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that I am not alone in this. I am peeing less at night now, and infrequently during the day, but yes, I have noticed that I am thirstier than before. I usually have one decaf with cream in the am and then lots of cold drinks the rest of the day. Found that drinking anything after 7PM is a bad idea.

I HAD heard that herbal teas were bad, and just learned in a different post here this morning that annatto is also not a good thing. Any other additives I should know about?

Shari
Vermont :rolleyes:

#8 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

That was the story of my life from the time I was a small child until I went gluten-free. I would be up every 30 minutes. Now, I am up maybe 3 times a night and more often not at all since being gluten-free.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#9 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

I read a post about this a few weeks ago. People were saying they peed less after going gluten-free. I was still waiting for it to happen, and it finally has! I would go and then have to go 20-30 minutes later and get up several times a night. Now, I get up maybe once a night and I don't have to go as much during the day.

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone have this problem? I don't know if my body is getting rid of toxins or what. Seems like I am up every hour or so until about 3AM. Then I sleep right up to 5!

I have to go quite often and I have been gluten free for almost 2 years now.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

Does anyone have this problem? I don't know if my body is getting rid of toxins or what.
Seems like I am up every hour or so until about 3AM. Then I sleep right up to 5!

Shari

Yeah, I have the same problem. At first my urologist thought I wasn't voiding completely before bed (I am a middle-aged male with BPH) but the real problem was I just seem to produce a large volume of urine at night - up to a liter. I was getting up 4-6 times per night. This was not impacted by going on a gluten-free diet.

Have you measured your volume? My urologist put me on a synthetic hormone called DDAVP that quiets the kidneys. It is commonly used by Pediatricians to treat bedwetting in children. Apparently, however, some people, as they age, produce insufficient quantities of the natural form of this hormone that nature (God) gives us to decrease urine production at night when we are supposed to sleep. DDAVP mimics this and now I am only getting up 1-2 times per night. It's expensive, however, and my insurance company was only willing to cover it for a limited time.

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

"I HAD heard that herbal teas were bad, and just learned in a different post here this morning that annatto is also not a good thing. Any other additives I should know about?"

SOME herbal teas have barley, but not nearly all. You just have to check.

Annatto is perfectly gluten-free.

richard

#13 Timber4est

Timber4est

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

OMG, I thought I was alone with this issue. I drink a gallon plus of water in a day and am always thirsty. I pee so much some days I think I should move a TV tray for the computer into the bathroom to save time.

I have not had more than four hours of sleep solid in years due to the issue. I sure hope within the month of being gluten-free that this subsides! It would be nice to sleep again through the whole night, or at least six hours solid.
Diagnosed January 2006 after a 35 year battle.

Interested in a Gluten-Free Cruise symposium style? Visit the following link to give your input:

Gluten Free Cruise vacation and lecture series idea

#14 G-Free

G-Free

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

Shari

OMG, I thought I was alone with this issue. I drink a gallon plus of water in a day and am always thirsty. I pee so much some days I think I should move a TV tray for the computer into the bathroom to save time.

I have not had more than four hours of sleep solid in years due to the issue. I sure hope within the month of being gluten-free that this subsides! It would be nice to sleep again through the whole night, or at least six hours solid.

Hi, I am new to this list, so please excuse me while I get used to the system. I wanted to reply to the post about frequent trips to the bathroom at night. I have had this for a long time. Lately it has not been as severe, but I have been taking a lot of vitamins and I think it has helped alot. I was wondering if anyone has experienced cramps in the legs. I frequently get a "charlie horse" which is quite painful. I have to get up and walk it off. I am newly diagnosed and trying to go gluten-free, but as you know it seems that Gluten is everywhere! Hope this may help someone.

#15 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:26 PM

Until I saw this post, I didn't realize I was peeing less since going gluten-free. But thinking back on the last couple weeks, I'm pretty sure I am peeing less frequently during most days and sleeping through the night most nights as well.
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: