This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waking Up Every Hour To Pee

wilbragirl

AFprincess Newbie

yeah... i actually was having my blood sugars checked because i thought that i was diabetic! it only happened after a large meal (that at the time i wasn't aware was full of gluten!). I randomly fell across all sorts of forums about celiac disease...so i decided since nothing else was working, and docs couldn't tell me what was wrong, that i would try gluten free. It took about 4 days and things were getting better! not up all night, not dizzy all the time, not in that mental fog, and most of all, no more painful tummy!!! i am back on gluten so that i can get the official testing done. But i was finally going to the bathroom on a normal basis, and sleeping almost through the night!!! felt so so good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AliSha097 Rookie

I noticed that I am up almost every hour, every night. It is quite annoying. I wish I had the answer to our problem! The restless sleep makes for a rough day.

• 3 weeks later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

I'm so glad I found this post. I have thought that I was the only one who had this problem (for my age at least...I'm 32). I sometimes wake up as much as 4-6 times per night to pee. Even if I don't have to go that much, I have to pee or otherwise I can't get back to sleep. I've been taking clonazapan every night now and that has greatly reduced the # of times I wake up in the night. Sometimes I don't wake up at all! But I had no idea that this was related to celiac disease.

I also feel like I need to pee all the time during the day. I feel like I'm constantly having to take trips to the bathroom. I haven't noticed being thirsty so much as just having to pee a lot.

I also sometimes have painful or burning urination when I eat foods that are high in oxalic acid. Although I'm not sure if the allergies to oxalic acid have anything to do with celiac disease at all.

lilbit Apprentice

Amazing. I'm not the only "freak of nature" out there who has to pee every 20 minutes! :P It started when I was 20 and slowly got worse and worse over the years

I feel like jumping up and down and waving my arms in the air yelling " ooh! ooh! Me too! Me too!"

I love this board! For me it started when I was 25 and just kept getting worse! (33 now) and I went to the doc who said well, its not diabetes... Don't drink so much!

I try to force myself not to drink alot because its frustrating to get up every hour to pee! During the day its easier to hold it for longer...

I have my upper endo next week and if its not celiac I'm gonna be very annoyed. Not that I want a disease... But I DO want an answer!

bekkaz Apprentice

I just stumbled accross this thread and it caught my attention. I am not yet diagnosed with celiac, but am suspecting I could have it. I don't wake up in the night to pee. However I have these flare up's that keep happeing with horrible bladder pain they happen on and off. I have seen an natropath and a OBGYN who has referred me to a Urologist. I am currently waiting for my appointment. They think I might possibly have Interstical Cystitis IC. My nautropath told me every person she has seen with IC has almost always had a food allergy/intolerance that's caused it. Hopefully this information helps some of you.

Coolclimates Collaborator

You might have an allergy to oxalic acid. I do. For me, it causes tiny crystals in my bladder and when I pee, it burns like hell, not to mention for hours afterwards. You might also want to check out the thread on vulvodynia in the related conditions section.

I just stumbled accross this thread and it caught my attention. I am not yet diagnosed with celiac, but am suspecting I could have it. I don't wake up in the night to pee. However I have these flare up's that keep happeing with horrible bladder pain they happen on and off. I have seen an natropath and a OBGYN who has referred me to a Urologist. I am currently waiting for my appointment. They think I might possibly have Interstical Cystitis IC. My nautropath told me every person she has seen with IC has almost always had a food allergy/intolerance that's caused it. Hopefully this information helps some of you.

Looking for answers Contributor

I had this problem until I was treated for adrenal fatigue, which often results from the dietary stress gluten placed on our bodies. Glad to say today, it is gone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
texasgirl19 Apprentice

Hi I am new to this, I have to use the restroom all the time...I thought it was just me but apparently it has to do with the gluten... :(

munchkinette Collaborator

What is wrong with me? All this time this thread was here and I didn't realize it. I just posted a thread about this problem in the "Related Disorders" section. I'm having major sleep deprivation issues because of water retention and peeing. It looks like it's pretty common on this board. I have recently been glutened, but I haven't had this problem after a glutening before.

I had this problem until I was treated for adrenal fatigue, which often results from the dietary stress gluten placed on our bodies. Glad to say today, it is gone.

What is the treatment for this? I've wondered before if this is an issue for me.

Skylark Collaborator

Here's a weird one. I had bladder pain and urinary frequency. Doctors looked for interstitial cystitis and did an IVP. All negative and I just learned to live with it. I got better all of a sudden when tried a Candida cleanse product and took Threelac when I started on my vitamin supplements. I don't even BELIEVE in "candidiasis" but my stupid bladder seems to. :huh: If I get pain/frequent urination a couple weeks of a good probiotic and maybe a little caprylic acid does the trick.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Interesting. Seems I missed this thread, but now that it has been resurrected, I figure I may as well chime in.

After a while of having to go every hour, I figured it might be an electrolyte imbalance. Mainly because if I didn't keep replenishing by drinking water all the time, I'd get very thirsty in a short period of time. That told me I wasn't retaining it very well. Extra salt helped a little, but not much. So I started taking potassium. Bingo! I could tell it was working after just a day or two, and it took about two weeks or so to completely normalize.

Interesting. Seems I missed this thread, but now that it has been resurrected, I figure I may as well chime in.

After a while of having to go every hour, I figured it might be an electrolyte imbalance. Mainly because if I didn't keep replenishing by drinking water all the time, I'd get very thirsty in a short period of time. That told me I wasn't retaining it very well. Extra salt helped a little, but not much. So I started taking potassium. Bingo! I could tell it was working after just a day or two, and it took about two weeks or so to completely normalize.

I thought about this for my own situation, but I don't think it worked. I was doing the paleo diet until a few weeks ago, and getting at least 4000 mg of potassium a day naturally through all the vegies I was eating. (RDA is 4700 for me.) I was getting very little salt on this diet as well. I stopped the diet and started getting more salt than potassium again, which is normal for most American diets. How much potassium were you taking?

missy'smom Collaborator

My potassium levels were tested and found to be low. I looked up veggies and fruits that were high in potassium and started eating bananas and broccoli, etc. in larger servings and everday and by the next check, my levels were up. When I was looking up potassium at the time, I found that diabetes was on the list of causes for low potassium. Turns out I do have diabetes and as posted earlier, managing blood sugar made a big difference in that frequent urination(another symptom of diabetes). Not suggesting that you guys have diabietes but just FYI to anyone out there about this combo of problems/symptoms.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I thought about this for my own situation, but I don't think it worked. I was doing the paleo diet until a few weeks ago, and getting at least 4000 mg of potassium a day naturally through all the vegies I was eating. (RDA is 4700 for me.) I was getting very little salt on this diet as well. I stopped the diet and started getting more salt than potassium again, which is normal for most American diets. How much potassium were you taking?

See, that's the fallacy - that just ingesting the nutrients in food is going to mean the body will fully benefit from it. If that were true, there wouldn't be so many of us with nutrient deficiencies. And it wouldn't require the high dosages many find they need to keep levels up. Malabsorption is one of the main problems Celiac causes.

I eat lots of veggies and other wholesome foods which have plenty of potassium, but apparently my digestive system doesn't absorb it very well. I take a multivitamin/mineral and other things for the same reason.

I was, and still do, take the amount suggested on the label. It's not 100% of the RDA, but I find it is enough for me. Besides, potassium chloride can be rather toxic if you overdo it. I started with potassium gluconate, which I'd really prefer, but it costs a lot more. Both are pure powders (more like crystals). I always try to use pure powdered supplements whenever possible, to limit the amount of other ingredients used in pills as fillers, flow agents, etc, and to hopefully maximize absorption. Potassium chloride is also sold as a salt substitute, but I find it tastes awful that way. The gluconate form doesn't have an off taste (if memory serves), and can be sprinkled onto any moist food, or added to smoothies and such.

I suppose one thing you might try is a so-called "sports drink". The kind used to replenish electrolytes. Whether it works for you or not, you'll at least have some answers.

See, that's the fallacy - that just ingesting the nutrients in food is going to mean the body will fully benefit from it. If that were true, there wouldn't be so many of us with nutrient deficiencies. And it wouldn't require the high dosages many find they need to keep levels up. Malabsorption is one of the main problems Celiac causes.

Oh man, I should know this better than anyone. :) The whole reason I figured out the gluten intolerance in the first place was 3 years in a row of anemia despite the supplements, which went away just a few months after changing my diet.

I think I need to get back on the multivitamins again. I always take my probiotics and vitamin D, but I haven't been taking the multivitamins since I eat so many vegies. I probably should try double-dosing of vitamins and vegies for a few weeks to see how I feel.

Skylark Collaborator

I sometimes wonder whether the foods even have what they used to. How can foods grown in depleted soil on chemical fertilizers possibly have the same nutritional value as what our great-grandparents ate?

RiceGuy Collaborator

I sometimes wonder whether the foods even have what they used to. How can foods grown in depleted soil on chemical fertilizers possibly have the same nutritional value as what our great-grandparents ate?

I've heard it from multiple sources that food crops today don't have nearly the nutritional value they once did. Though it probably isn't equally bad with every nutrient, there certainly is less of various minerals, and probably some vitamins too. Having a garden or buying fresh, locally grown, organic produce is definitely a good idea whenever you can. I've been wanting to start growing sprouts, since that's pretty easy, and they're supposed to be quite healthy.

This is absolutely true, for multiple reasons. First, many fruits and vegies are selectively bred for size, sugar content, and taste. When you select for one trait you often select against another trait, like nutrient value. Although I don't have a problem with genetically modified produce in general, sometimes that's another way to lose nutrient value. The soil and available nutrients factor in as well. We use chemical fertilizers, but in nature most plants have some kind of symbiotic fungi in the roots that help fix those nutrients and make them available to plants.

Animal protein is often less nutritious as well. Grain-fed herbivorous animals just don't have the same nutrient composition as grass-fed, or in the case of birds, grass/grub/insect/etc. fed. This is why farmed fish just isn't as good for you either. Grain-fed fish don't have the same high omega-3 content as fish that have been eating algae or smaller fish that ate algae.

And I don't know what the deal is with dairy, but I can eat it in many other countries. I can't handle more than a couple bites of any dairy product in the US.

Archived