55 replies to this topic

#1 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

I am new to this site.....any celiacs in central California? Would love to hear from you. Also would like to know about restaurants.....can we EVER eat mexican food again??? :(
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hi where are you in central California? I live in Manteca (near Stockton/Modesto) but spend the majority of my time in the Bay Area cuz of friends/family and work.
Welcome to the board. :)
Rachel

#3 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Hey! I am in Fresno, RIGHT in the center of the state. Can't remember how far Manteca is, seems to me it's about a two-hour drive? I don't spend much time in the Bay area, used to, but not too much now. Oh, I am a little daunted by the thought of travel now....just diagnosed four days ago, what would I eat??? :o
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Oh, I am a little daunted by the thought of travel now....just diagnosed four days ago, what would I eat??? :o

Awww...don't feel bad. I'm gluten free for several months now and still dont know what to eat. :huh:
If you dont have other intolerances the diet is fairly easy (for me it was anyways). I got alot of other problems so its basically just meat and veggies for me right now....and yeah...no traveling. :(

Theres so much you can eat thats gluten free though. Seriously, theres a store here in the Bay Area thats got everything gluten free. Its great. Whole Foods has alot of stuff. You'll learn alot from this board. My regular grocery store hyas a big gluten free section...I never even realized it was there until I looked for gluten-free stuff. You'll be surprised at all you can eat. Its not that bad. :)
Rachel

#5 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:39 AM

I'm near San Jose. I'm with you on the not knowing what to eat. I'm going to Disneyland in about a week and a half and am terrified even though I hear it's one of the better places to eat if you have special dietary needs, lol.

#6 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

Seriously, theres a store here in the Bay Area thats got everything gluten free. Its great. Whole Foods has alot of stuff. You'll learn alot from this board. My regular grocery store hyas a big gluten free section...I never even realized it was there until I looked for gluten-free stuff. You'll be surprised at all you can eat. Its not that bad. :)

I am from Sacramento. Not far from the Bay Area. I am curious what store you are talking about. I agree, Whole Foods is great but also expensive (friends have nick named it Whole Paycheck).

Thanks!

#7 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

I'm near San Jose. I'm with you on the not knowing what to eat. I'm going to Disneyland in about a week and a half and am terrified even though I hear it's one of the better places to eat if you have special dietary needs, lol.

Have you ever seen this? - Guidelines to Eating gluten-free at Disneyland

http://www.kintera.o...LjP7E&b=1173337

It says some of the places there carry Kinnikinnik bread. Crazy!
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

I am from Sacramento. Not far from the Bay Area. I am curious what store you are talking about. I agree, Whole Foods is great but also expensive (friends have nick named it Whole Paycheck).

Thanks!

Its a little health store in Cupertino. Its called Cupertino Nutrition. They carry alot of supplements but also the biggest selection of gluten-free foods I've seen in one place. Thats how I found out about them. They have a huge sign that reads "Biggest selection of gluten-free products in the Bay Area". :)
Rachel

#9 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Thanks! I might have to check it out some time. Davis has something similar though it has more "supplements" then food.

Thanks for the info!

#10 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

Have you ever seen this? - Guidelines to Eating gluten-free at Disneyland

http://www.kintera.o...LjP7E&b=1173337

It says some of the places there carry Kinnikinnik bread. Crazy!

Wow, thanks for the link...it has some great information!

Cupertino Nutrition is WONDERFUL...they are so helpful and they did indeed have a great selection.

Pturse - I've had one of the Whole Foods employees joke about Whole Paycheck, so something tells me they've heard that before. :D

#11 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

That's funny that they know!

Hey Cupertino Nutrition has a website!

www.cupertinonutrition.com

Nice!

#12 Guest_Tish_*

Guest_Tish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hello I Live in Northern California and have been a "CELIAC" for about 4 years now and most of what I have learned has been trial and error and products especially the last two years have really turned around.

I loved to travel to the bay area because there is alot more to choose from but I all these products are spendy and there is nothing worse than buying products but not able to eat them so my word of advice for you is check out this site first before shopping. They rate all the products and I have found it to be a great indicator when purchasing products such as bread, snacks and so forth. Now if you order from them there is shipping and handeling where I have found a few times I have ordered to check it out such as LARABAR's and once I tasted it I was on the hunt where I just recently found these bars close to home and cheaper..

http://www.glutensol...s.com/store.asp

Also a year ago I broke down and purchase a gluten free dining guide which I have used several times.

I hope this information helps.

Good Luck
Pat Embury

#13 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hi....I'm in Nevada City (in the foothills, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe). I went to graduate school in Fresno, so I know the area (we lived in Clovis) ! Hang in there....I think it will get easier. I'm feeling overwhelmed right now too, but I have my mom as an example...and she learned to live with celiac quite well, all alone, with no support group at all. So if she could do it, so can we all!
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#14 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hey! I'm from Central California, Dixon near Sacramento. And, yes, we can eat Mexican food. Thank God for corn tortillas. The only real Celiac store is in Davis, CA and it's called the Natural Food Works. Lots of gluten-free stuff.

Let me know where exactly you are!
Camila
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

#15 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:21 PM

I'm is Stanford, (Palo Alto) and I have been gluten free all my life. I would say that you should join the Yahoo group BayAreaCeliacs, it is a lot of help. I run the Bay Area ROCK group with my mom and other people around us. If you want to come to San Jose Area Maggianos is Santana Row best place it is Italian food, and they make gluten-free pizza and have Tinkyada pasta always there, just call ahead and make sure they know that you are gluten-free and they will make sure to have supplies. There are many other places in this area, e-mail me and I can tell you more places, but the celicbayarea is really the best place to start for places to eat out.
e-mail me and I can help more, celiacmolly08@mac.com
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: