Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

California?

56 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am from the carlsbad, oceanside area.

Sushi is great, I found a great little sushi place by my house, only thing is it gets very expensive. I want to start making my own sushi but the only thing is I have no idea where to buy sashimi grade fish. I've checked albertesons and ralph's. The quality of the meat and fish at Ralph's is sketchy.

Has anyone ever had a torched sushi roll? those are the best!

Ads by Google:

Mmmm, I envy you. You're close to the water. There have to be one or two fish markets, or asian markets? Asian markets often carry the freshiest fish. There was a Ranch 99 market in N. Hollywood where I lived for several years where some of the fish was still moving when they turned it out onto the table, LOL. Do you have a Ranch 99 market near you? They stock a lot of asian foods and specialty stuff and almost always have a good fish counter. The downside there is you'll probably have to debone and skin yourself, but the quality make sit worth the trouble. I've never had a torched sushi roll? What is that? I'm still struggling to make a decent seared tuna.

Violet

Hi everyone,

Sushi is great, I found a great little sushi place by my house, only thing is it gets very expensive. I want to start making my own sushi but the only thing is I have no idea where to buy sashimi grade fish. I've checked albertesons and ralph's. The quality of the meat and fish at Ralph's is sketchy.

Sadly, I won't be having any soy sauce of any sort. My brain just woke up in early June while trying soy elimination test. So I'm NoSoyBoy from here on out!!! :) :)

But I expect to still enjoy sushi, albeit in a new way, w/ no soy/wasabi mixture. Argh! It better still be awesome!!

Try seasoned rice vinegar instead of soy sauce. It's not bad. :)

Hi everyone,

I was very skeptical of sushi for years but once I tried it I fell in love. I did alot of research about making Sushi at home and you need to get the fish from a specialized food market, like whole foods or an Asian market with a fish counter. I'm going to be traveling down to Carlsbad in a few months. Any places you'd strongly recommend for dining options?

I'm is Stanford, (Palo Alto) and I have been gluten free all my life. I would say that you should join the Yahoo group BayAreaCeliacs, it is a lot of help. I run the Bay Area ROCK group with my mom and other people around us. If you want to come to San Jose Area Maggianos is Santana Row best place it is Italian food, and they make gluten-free pizza and have Tinkyada pasta always there, just call ahead and make sure they know that you are gluten-free and they will make sure to have supplies. There are many other places in this area, e-mail me and I can tell you more places, but the celicbayarea is really the best place to start for places to eat out.

e-mail me and I can help more, celiacmolly08@mac.com

:D Thank you for this post!! I can't wait to go to Maggianos for gluten-free pizza!

Stephie

I just read this thread as I have just joined as well. I'm in Merced and drive to Stockton for work. I recently found a store run by a nice lady that is called "It's Gluten Free" in Turlock. The store is off of Monte Vista, west of the 99 and is in the Costco Parking/ Shopping center area. I was pleased with the amount of products available (way more than Raley's in Merced). I look forward to more learning on this forum.