55 replies to this topic

#16 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

I'm in Fresno County about an hour out of Fresno, but I come to Fresno a lot for shopping/doctor appointments, etc.

Have you been to the new PF Changs yet! It is awesome. They have a gluten free menu and ALL the staff knows about gluten free! The first time I had chinese food in over 2 years. :D

We also eat at Mimi's Cafe, In-n-Out, El Pollo Loco (chicken only), we used to eat at Boston Market, but they are renovating their menu and we are now waiting to see what is going to still be on the menu that will be safe for us. There are some items at the Elephant Bar and I'm sure there are other places I am not thinking of right now. As for mexican, my kids don't like it enough for us to bother trying to get gluten free Mexican food...

Let me know if you ever want to try to get together for a gluten-free lunch or something. There used to be a Fresno Celiac group that met once a month, but I think it sort of fell apart. I never made it there because it was on a weeknight and my kids are young...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 corinne

corinne

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

I'm moving to San Luis Obispo in July for work. Montana is beautiful but I can't wait for the warmer weather (it was 30 below a week ago) and for better food shopping. The closest town big enough to carry a good selection of gluten free foods is 300 miles. I love internet shopping.

#18 Mindy35

Mindy35

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

:D Hi I am in Lodi, California. I have been gluten free for about two months now. It is getting easier but I still make mistakes. I had some potatoes from Safeway today and realized they had a seasoning on them. I checked on the website and found out that they were made with wheat flour. Oh well I am still learning.

#19 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

pturse--
Do you live near Davis, CA? Have you heard of Natural Food Works? I shop at the Davis Food Co-Op, do you?

I am from Sacramento. Not far from the Bay Area. I am curious what store you are talking about. I agree, Whole Foods is great but also expensive (friends have nick named it Whole Paycheck).

Thanks!

Oh, I see, you're from Sac. I'm from Dixon. Do you go to the Celiac support group? I haven't gone yet, but I think I should. I would reccommend Trader Joes for shopping... their Thai Kitchen stuff is excellent. I like rice/soy noodles, and the Food For Life Rice bread is really good. If you go to the support group, let me know.
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

#20 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

I'm in San Francisco. I've been shopping at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Rainbow Grocery.

As far as Mexican food goes, it seems like all the things you need to worry about only apply to Americanized chains. We have tons of authentic taquerias and Mexican markets in SF. I've made lots of Mexican food from scratch before with ingredients from these stores. You have to worry about cross-contamination from the grill in taquerias, but soy sauce (in the marinade) isn't in real Mexican food. Aside from flour tortillas there just shouldn't be any wheat in real Mexican food. A lot of real taquerias make their stuff from scratch every day. The grilled/asada stuff *might* have something to give it that bbq flavor, but the stewed meats definitely don't have wheat if they are made the authentic way. You can totally make stuff yourself! Mexican markets are all over California.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#21 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi....I'm in Nevada City (in the foothills, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe). I went to graduate school in Fresno, so I know the area (we lived in Clovis) ! Hang in there....I think it will get easier. I'm feeling overwhelmed right now too, but I have my mom as an example...and she learned to live with celiac quite well, all alone, with no support group at all. So if she could do it, so can we all!

Hey, I am from Sacramento and I competed in the Celebration of Life Triathlon last September at Scott's Flat lake. My friend's family lives & owns an art shop there too. Nevada City is a great little town. I wasn't following the diet when I was there but you seem to have quite a few restaurants (that vegetrian healthy one in particular) that might cater to you if you asked.

Nevada City was great. We stayed over night and had a great time.

#22 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hey, I am from Sacramento and I competed in the Celebration of Life Triathlon last September at Scott's Flat lake. My friend's family lives & owns an art shop there too. Nevada City is a great little town. I wasn't following the diet when I was there but you seem to have quite a few restaurants (that vegetrian healthy one in particular) that might cater to you if you asked.

Nevada City was great. We stayed over night and had a great time.

I actually find a lot of gluten-free items up here. We have two health food stores that stock various items, and I've even found a few specifically gluten-free foods in our local market. And the health food stores are very accommodating...they say as soon as I get a list of requested items they'll see what they can get. They say there are a fair number of celiacs up here who look for things.
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#23 luvsports486

luvsports486

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

I found a pretty good selection of gluten free products (at a reasonable cost) at Elliot Foods in Sacramento. It is across from Country Club. I was pretty excited about some of the foods. :P

#24 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

I found a pretty good selection of gluten free products (at a reasonable cost) at Elliot Foods in Sacramento. It is across from Country Club. I was pretty excited about some of the foods. :P

My mom goes there. I also found a fair number of items at Sunrise Natural Foods in Sacto...can't remember exactly where it was. That store had a bit more than the Sunrise in Auburn. :P
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#25 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

Wow. Thanks for the tips about Elliots and Sunrise! I will have to check those out. Next time I am in Nevada City I will check out some of the stores up there as well.

#26 Lillyth

Lillyth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

I'm near San Jose. I'm with you on the not knowing what to eat. I'm going to Disneyland in about a week and a half and am terrified even though I hear it's one of the better places to eat if you have special dietary needs, lol.

I'd be interested to know how that went for you - I had an AWFUL time trying to eat there...

Have you ever seen this? - Guidelines to Eating gluten-free at Disneyland

http://www.kintera.o...LjP7E&b=1173337

It says some of the places there carry Kinnikinnik bread. Crazy!

Damn...

Sure wish I'd seen taht BEFORE my trip. I mostly starved while I was there... :(

Oh, and I'm in San Francisco.

By the by - if any of you in the Bay Area are looking for a good Japanese restaurant, try Minako Restaurant on Mission (between, I think 17th & 18th - or somewhere areound there). The owner is a good friend of mine, and it is a total family operation - her mom makes everything. She also says people bring thier own wheat-free tamari sauce in all the time. I've found that eating out in ethnic restaurants can be a hassle if you can't communicate with the staff (a real problem with "authentic" places). But rest assured, they speak fluent english & Japanese & the food IS authentic.

#27 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

I'd be interested to know how that went for you - I had an AWFUL time trying to eat there...

Well, I won't say it was easy, but I survived mostly. I took a lot of my own stuff with me like Bumble Bars, Lara Bars, home made trail mix and a jar of natural peanut butter. Our room had a refrigerator so I was able to eat my bumble bars with peanut butter for early breakfast, then we'd go eat at one of the diners that was just a half block from our hotel. They had a great low carb burger which I modified to be completely gluten free. Inside the park I ate turkey legs and was so happy to see they had lots of fresh fruit at little stands. I had a bad stomach pain on two days...it was hard to tell exactly what it was from. I had the turkey leg both days, but also ate at the restaurant both days and on one of those days had McDonald's french fries. I took the trail mix and some of the bars with me into the park for snacking just in case I couldn't find anything else to eat.

The hotel we stayed at was really great about making me a great lunch the first day we were there...my two friends were actually jealous of my lunch, lol.

#28 schuyler

schuyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

I'm glad that you survived at Disneyland! When I went there, I didn't know about all of the gluten free options, so I starved the whole time! At least I'll know for next time.

Thanks to everyone who posted stores that sell gluten-free foods. The best local place that I have found in Raley's, but they don't have a huge selection of things, so I can't wait to check out these other places. Oh, and by the way, I live in Modesto and it's nice to see some local people on here.

-Danielle
Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light

#29 bbo1

bbo1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

:D Corinne - I live in SLO County - South end of the county. You'll love it here... very friendly and a wonderful farmers market every Thurs. night. SLO has some good health food stores also, and restaurants are eager to SERVE their customers. I find I can eat out easily.

Am looking for a group here. Anyone in SLO or Santa Barbara counties know of a group locally?

~~Barbara

I'm moving to San Luis Obispo in July for work. Montana is beautiful but I can't wait for the warmer weather (it was 30 below a week ago) and for better food shopping. The closest town big enough to carry a good selection of gluten free foods is 300 miles. I love internet shopping.

#30 corinne

corinne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Barbara - I'm starting a teaching job at Cal Poly and I'm SOOO excited. I didn't get to see much of the town when I came out for the interview (which was pretty much my first time in California), but it looks like a beautiful area. The farmer's market sounds good and I love seafood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: