55 replies to this topic

#46 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'm in Big Bear in San Bernardino County south east of Los Angeles.

I've taken to making my own sushi. There's a sushi place in town but it's so expensive. Discovered making sushi isn't all that hard really. I'm picky about the fish I use, but homemade sushi has become a staple.

I don't bother with restaurants much. I can't have corn or anything with sodium nitrates either, so trying to eat in a Mexican restaurant would be pretty pointless. One of the local italian restaurant makes a good anti pasta salad and I have them leave the meat off. They've been pretty careful, plus they have a kitchen where I can watch them work, LOL.

We have one small organic store which stocks some special gluten free stuff, but by and large it's not worth it to me because of the price. I go there mostly because they carry the wheat free soy sauce and the red chili sauce from Thai Kitcen.

I can't quite bring myself to drive all the way down the mountain to shop at a Whole Foods or something that might offer a bigger selection of gluten-free stuff. I can't justify the hour down and hour back up and the gas. So I eat mostly whole foods and almost no pre-packed stuff.

violet
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

I've taken to making my own sushi. There's a sushi place in town but it's so expensive. Discovered making sushi isn't all that hard really. I'm picky about the fish I use, but homemade sushi has become a staple.

Hi Violet!

I can barely believe I haven't tried making my own!!
I'd seen a SIL make sushi many years ago, and it STILL didn't come to mind!

So . . . . . .any tips on where to get fish that's good enough? :o
Or on which to attempt making 1st?

Do u do anything special to the rice? I think at a restaurant it's called 'vinegared rice'.

Thanks for the idea!!
Mmmmmmm I can't wait. :) :P :)
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#48 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

Hi Violet!

I can barely believe I haven't tried making my own!!
I'd seen a SIL make sushi many years ago, and it STILL didn't come to mind!

So . . . . . .any tips on where to get fish that's good enough? :o
Or on which to attempt making 1st?

Do u do anything special to the rice? I think at a restaurant it's called 'vinegared rice'.

Thanks for the idea!!
Mmmmmmm I can't wait. :) :P :)

I've been making my own sushi a lot lately. You can google tons of good recipes. For the rice I add Rice vinegar and sugar. We buy our fish at a small asian market, but I always talk to the proprietor about what is fresh. We go there often enough, and once or twice he's said "not for sushi" but most of his stuff is pretty fresh, the place is pretty busy. I can't really offer to many good tips beyond what's on the websites you'd see if you google "make your own sushi" but one thing I found recently that works great, that I've never seen on a website-

Lots of sites will tell you to use Saran Wrap to roll "inside out rolls" where rice and some topping are on the outside. I was finding this tough, as it sticks to itself and is hard ot work with. I ended up using gallon sized ziploc bags. the rice won't stick, and it has enough "weight" to it to use to pick it up which helps when flipping it. Serve someone a homemade rainbow roll, stuffed with fun stuff and topped with avocado, tuna and salmon, and I guarantee they'll be impressed.

Geoff
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

#49 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

We buy our fish at a small asian market, but I always talk to the proprietor about what is fresh. We go there often enough, and once or twice he's said "not for sushi" but most of his stuff is pretty fresh, the place is pretty busy.

Ahhhh yes!
Thx for the info Geoff!

I'm sure small asian markets will work for me too.

I didn't know whether there were more gluten-free tips beyond tamari.
I guess not.

I haven't had vinegar or sugar or tamari for >2 yrs so I might end up w/ just fish!! :lol:
And I'll love every bite!! :P
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#50 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

I've mostly used salmon for sushi, in part because we've got limited options up here. Well, and I love raw salmon. The wild salmon is tough to work with, but has a different flavor than farm salmon, just a little wilder tasting and not as uniform a texture. Occasionally Vons will have a good piece of tuna that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Tuna really needs to be nice and red. If it's pale or the color of swordfish I pass on it.

I love salmon and avocado rolls. That's my staple :) I use aluminum foil to wrap the sushi with. It' helps get it rolled up. I use a little garlic rice vinegar in the rice, and I buy the sushi rice. Sushi rice is a must because it's shorter grain and it's stickier so it's easier to get it to hold together. A wooden spoon for the rice and a sharp knife for cutting are essential too.

I start the rice and then begin slicing the fish and whatever else and getting the pieces of foil laid out. Usually by the time everything else is ready the rice is done. I turn the rice out into a glass bowl and mix in some vinagar and let it cool a little. Not too cool though becaseu the warmth of the rice helps soften up the nori

Mmmmmm, I think I just talked myself into salmon rolls for dinner tonight.

Violet

#51 ashleemc

ashleemc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I am from the carlsbad, oceanside area.

Sushi is great, I found a great little sushi place by my house, only thing is it gets very expensive. I want to start making my own sushi but the only thing is I have no idea where to buy sashimi grade fish. I've checked albertesons and ralph's. The quality of the meat and fish at Ralph's is sketchy.

Has anyone ever had a torched sushi roll? those are the best!

#52 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

Mmmm, I envy you. You're close to the water. There have to be one or two fish markets, or asian markets? Asian markets often carry the freshiest fish. There was a Ranch 99 market in N. Hollywood where I lived for several years where some of the fish was still moving when they turned it out onto the table, LOL. Do you have a Ranch 99 market near you? They stock a lot of asian foods and specialty stuff and almost always have a good fish counter. The downside there is you'll probably have to debone and skin yourself, but the quality make sit worth the trouble. I've never had a torched sushi roll? What is that? I'm still struggling to make a decent seared tuna.

Violet

Hi everyone,

Sushi is great, I found a great little sushi place by my house, only thing is it gets very expensive. I want to start making my own sushi but the only thing is I have no idea where to buy sashimi grade fish. I've checked albertesons and ralph's. The quality of the meat and fish at Ralph's is sketchy.

#53 p38lightningbolt

p38lightningbolt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Sadly, I won't be having any soy sauce of any sort. My brain just woke up in early June while trying soy elimination test. So I'm NoSoyBoy from here on out!!! :) :)

But I expect to still enjoy sushi, albeit in a new way, w/ no soy/wasabi mixture. Argh! It better still be awesome!!

Try seasoned rice vinegar instead of soy sauce. It's not bad. :)

#54 SacGFGirl

SacGFGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I was very skeptical of sushi for years but once I tried it I fell in love. I did alot of research about making Sushi at home and you need to get the fish from a specialized food market, like whole foods or an Asian market with a fish counter. I'm going to be traveling down to Carlsbad in a few months. Any places you'd strongly recommend for dining options?
Sacramento, CA

Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1986
Gluten Free since 2005

#55 Stephielane

Stephielane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I'm is Stanford, (Palo Alto) and I have been gluten free all my life. I would say that you should join the Yahoo group BayAreaCeliacs, it is a lot of help. I run the Bay Area ROCK group with my mom and other people around us. If you want to come to San Jose Area Maggianos is Santana Row best place it is Italian food, and they make gluten-free pizza and have Tinkyada pasta always there, just call ahead and make sure they know that you are gluten-free and they will make sure to have supplies. There are many other places in this area, e-mail me and I can tell you more places, but the celicbayarea is really the best place to start for places to eat out.
e-mail me and I can help more, celiacmolly08@mac.com

:D Thank you for this post!! I can't wait to go to Maggianos for gluten-free pizza!

Stephie

#56 Kenny B

Kenny B

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

I just read this thread as I have just joined as well. I'm in Merced and drive to Stockton for work. I recently found a store run by a nice lady that is called "It's Gluten Free" in Turlock. The store is off of Monte Vista, west of the 99 and is in the Costco Parking/ Shopping center area. I was pleased with the amount of products available (way more than Raley's in Merced). I look forward to more learning on this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: