This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Me Find The Gluten

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

The only new foods that I can remeber (bah! Memory stinks)

Ben and Jerry's Phish Food ( Store bought, pint size)

Real Brand Whip Cream

Hersy's Sunday Syrup

Joinur Mints (sp)

(yes we made sundays! was fun! heheh)

Thanks all that I can think of that was new, and I thought all that was gluten-free! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

According to my Clan Thompson list Ben & Jerrys Phish, Hershey's syrup and Junior Mints are gluten free. It didn't list the Real Branch Whipped Cream (at least I couldn't find it).

VydorScope Proficient

Erf add Private Selection (Kroger Brand) Hot Cocoa Mix to that list.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

According to Tootsie Roll Industries, all their products are made gluten-free. (If you start reading the manufacturers, they make a lot of good stuff!) :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
According to my Clan Thompson list Ben & Jerrys Phish, Hershey's syrup and Junior Mints are gluten free. It didn't list the Real Branch Whipped Cream (at least I couldn't find it).

According to Tootsie Roll Industries, all their products are made gluten-free. (If you start reading the manufacturers, they make a lot of good stuff!) :lol:

While thats great to hear, its kind of bad news in this case cause I still cant find the gluten!

lonewolf Collaborator
While thats great to hear, its kind of bad news in this case cause I still cant find the gluten!

Are you sure it was gluten and not a reaction to all that milk?

Guest BERNESES

Vincent- I found this discalimer about Kroger on the Delphi list:

Kroger (800.382.5219) (vp=05/22/02)

WARNING: Krogers said their ingredients may change and to call for verification…they will not send out a list…they will only confirm it over the phone but are very helpful.

Private Selection (Kroger Brand) Hot Cocoa Mix was lsited as gluten-free but you might want to call and check. Any cross-contamination possibilities?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent- I found this discalimer about Kroger on the Delphi list:

Kroger (800.382.5219) (vp=05/22/02)

WARNING: Krogers said their ingredients may change and to call for verification…they will not send out a list…they will only confirm it over the phone but are very helpful.

Private Selection (Kroger Brand) Hot Cocoa Mix was lsited as gluten-free but you might want to call and check. Any cross-contamination possibilities?

We did call once, a little while back, and the ingredient list looked fine. I guess CC is always possible

Are you sure it was gluten and not a reaction to all that milk?

I had the skin test for milk, and no reaction. I have considered going dairy free for a bit.. but kept puting it off till I was gluten-free for a bit to tell them apart, but I dont think its a dariy issue.. but admit it could be. (as I sit here eating mint chocloate chip breyers! LOL)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
We did call once, a little while back, and the ingredient list looked fine. I guess CC is always possible
I would consider cross contamination with one of the products. Maybe try contacting all four companies and ask them if there is a high risk of cross contamination.
VydorScope Proficient

I wish I was more confident about that being all I ate :blink:

So baiscly either it was ..

1) CC

2) I forget somthing (umm what were we talking about?)

3) Dairy (This answer is not allowd!!! MORE ICE CREAM!)

:huh: I was hoping someone would say somthing like WELL DUH THATS GOT WHEAT IT IN! but I geuss its better that Im not that ditzy :) right? :huh:

Guest nini

According to the info I got directly from Ben and Jerry's, ingredients and suppliers change and they will not guarantee any flavor as being gluten free.

VydorScope Proficient
According to the info I got directly from Ben and Jerry's, ingredients and suppliers change and they will not guarantee any flavor as being gluten free.

Nini, this is from thier site..

If our product contains gluten, its presence would be indicated on the label by the words “wheat flour” or “flour.” Should any of our products contain those grains (wheat, flour, barley, oats, rye, etc.) the label would reference them. We understand that there are tricky ways that gluten can be missed. We assure you that we have researched our ingredients carefully, and we know exactly what is going into our ice cream.

(from Open Original Shared Link )

THat kind fo disagrees with your information? :huh:

Guest nini
Nini, this is from thier site..

(from Open Original Shared Link )

THat kind fo disagrees with your information? :huh:

yeah well, I can't be responsible for what their customer service rep told me on the phone... I didn't check the website, just called the number on the container... I have avoided Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream based on that phone call... trying to remember when that was, at least a year ago so maybe the info has changed. Which would be good. :)

VydorScope Proficient
yeah well, I can't be responsible for what their customer service rep told me on the phone... I didn't check the website, just called the number on the container... I have avoided Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream based on that phone call... trying to remember when that was, at least a year ago so maybe the info has changed. Which would be good. :)

:lol:

Well maybe the rep was consfused because they do refuse to put out a gluten-free list, but they state that they clearly disclose gluten. Which may just be too much to follow for the rep you spoke with...

And its not realy a good thing, too much B&J will bankrupt you! :o

This is what they say about providing a gluten-free list..

Ben and Jerry’s is a member of the Food Allergy Network and the Food Allergy Resource and Research Program. Upon the advice of these consumer and industry groups we do not provide a list of flavors that do not contain gluten. There is always a concern with any list that the list would be replicated and the end recipients would not receive updates that would be required with a formulation change. The safe approach recommended by these organizations is to read the label each time a purchase is made. We are very sorry that we can not provide you with a list. Recognizing that reading food labels can be time-consuming and tedious, we wish to encourage you in your daily effort to read all food labels, as it is the best way for us to insure that you receive the information you need to make an informed and confident choice.
Guest nini

well at least I know now!

VydorScope Proficient
well at least I know now!

Just rember I am NOT responsibel for any wieght gain this information causes in your life! :lol:

Guest nini
Just rember I am NOT responsibel for any wieght gain this information causes in your life! :lol:

considering that I've just lost 100 pounds, I'm not in any hurry to put it back on and I will be carefully monitoring my B&J intake!!! LOL! I used to be addicted to the stuff back when I lived in Florida, now I just have to be careful!

debbiewil Rookie

Vincent,

I'd double and triple check the whipped cream. If that's the kind in a can, I believe they often use something to stabalize it. Most brands use powdered sugar, but I think flour can be used as a stabalizer also. So it's possible that there was a little wheat flour in it.

Debbie

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent,

I'd double and triple check the whipped cream. If that's the kind in a can, I believe they often use something to stabalize it. Most brands use powdered sugar, but I think flour can be used as a stabalizer also. So it's possible that there was a little wheat flour in it.

Debbie

There was nothing menton on teh can. It was "Redi-Whip" or somthign like that made by Real, in the spray can format.

gointribal Enthusiast

I am so glad I found this post :D I am looking for dairy free (not just lactose) and gluten free ice cream? Any help out there? B)

lonewolf Collaborator
I am so glad I found this post :D I am looking for dairy free (not just lactose) and gluten free ice cream? Any help out there? B)

The best, absolutely best, ice cream substitute is Sharon's Coconut Sorbet, found at Trader Joe's and maybe elsewhere. It's white, rich and creamy. My kids will gladly pass up regular ice cream for it, but it's a little spendy. Just thinking about it makes me want to break my diet...

jerseyangel Proficient

Liz--does that come in any other flavors? I can't eat cocoanut :angry: . It sounds really good, and I have a TJ's nearby. Thanks

lonewolf Collaborator
Liz--does that come in any other flavors? I can't eat cocoanut :angry: . It sounds really good, and I have a TJ's nearby. Thanks

It comes in Raspberry, Passion Fruit and one other flavor that we don't ever get. The Passion Fruit is really good mixed with Vanilla Rice Dream. Okay, now I'm salivating and it's only 10 am here. And I've been doing so well on my diet (lost 4 pound, 21 to go!).

gointribal Enthusiast
It comes in Raspberry, Passion Fruit and one other flavor that we don't ever get. The Passion Fruit is really good mixed with Vanilla Rice Dream. Okay, now I'm salivating and it's only 10 am here. And I've been doing so well on my diet (lost 4 pound, 21 to go!).

Way to go, keep up the good work with the diet! So, I don't have a TJ where I am, any others places or products? Is the Vanilla Rice Dream dairy free?

Mango04 Enthusiast
The best, absolutely best, ice cream substitute is Sharon's Coconut Sorbet, found at Trader Joe's and maybe elsewhere. It's white, rich and creamy. My kids will gladly pass up regular ice cream for it, but it's a little spendy. Just thinking about it makes me want to break my diet...

The coconut sorbet from TJ's IS the best ice creamy substitute ever!!! If you don't have a TJ's, and can tolerate a little bit of soy, I like the Soy Delicious ice creams as well (I guess they just changed the name of it to So Delicious). Here's a link to the gluten-free section of their website and a chart that indicates which of their products are gluten-free:

Open Original Shared Link

I really like the Vanilla flavors...and the Butter Pecan!

Archived