Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

Yes--Cool Whip is gluten-free. BTW--it's a Kraft product, they will list any gluten on the label.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 let-the -sun-in

let-the -sun-in

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

THANK YOU AM GOING TO MAKE A TARAMISU AND THE RECIPE CALLS FOR COOL WHIP.

#4 imouse1

imouse1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

I don't know if this is still relevant, but the Cool Whip I picked up a couple weeks back had Modified Food Starch in it. It did not say from what source but I assumed that because it didn't say wheat, rye, or barley that it was probably fine. Wasn't fine. I hate not half a cup of cheesecake pudding* and was throwing up for a week and was extremely swollen. I've only had food poisoning once in my life and that wasn't it. The only shady ingredient in mine was the modified food starch from the Cool Whip. SO, I decided that when I could stand upright and eat normal food again, that I would re-try the recipe with regular whipped cream (out of the can) using twice the whipped cream as I would normally use cool whip. I was fine. I've never had a bad reaction to yogurt before (in fact, I eat it regularly) and eat ricotta quite often. I came up with the recipe from what I used to use to make baked cheese cake when I was dying on my gluten-heavy diet but now that it's too big a pain in the @$$ to make crust, I just eat the innards as a cold pudding and minus the baking parts. I've included the recipe in case may powers of deduction are wrong on this front.

* Cheesecake Pudding Recipe
2 containers low fat/fat free cream cheese, softened
1/2 container Ricotta cheese
2-3 fruit-flavored yogurts
1 small container Cool Whip (or 2 cans whipped cream)
Splenda or Sugar to taste

Mix Cream Cheese and Ricotta cheese until mixture is smooth. Small lumps will still set but the smoother the better, depending on whether or not you enjoy bites of cream cheese. (Can be done by hand.) Mix in Ricotta cheese. Mix in yogurts. Mix in Sugar. Fold in Cool Whip or whipped cream. Let set 1 hour in fridge.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Kraft, who make Cool Whip, will not hide gluten. Cool Whip is definitely gluten-free.

Modified food starch is usually tapioca--perhaps you have a problem with tapioca. I know some people here do, but I am not one of them.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 chersull_99

chersull_99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I know many yogurts are not gluten free...could this have been the issue? Dannon makes the following (rather defensive) statement on their website - DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they can't be considered gluten free. The natural system for stabilizing flavor might contain ingredients derived from gluten sources. Since there is a current lack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten, and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, DANNON yogurt cannot be classified as "gluten free."

I have no idea what they mean by "the natural system for stabilizing flavor" but it seems to me if they are using "ingredients derived from gluten sources" they it's pretty cut and dry. They aren't gluten-free.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Yoplait is the way to go. They will list any forms of gluten, which is only in the cookies/granola, on their ingredient listing. I believe they will label gluten free now.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: