This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whats Wrong With Me?

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

I dont know what is wrong with me. I feel like i'm dying.. I've only had slight contamination twice in the last 5 days, little enough that I barely even felt stomach pains. Nobody touched my foods, because this contamination only occured when I left the house. And it never, ever gets this bad..

But right now, I feel like I did when I first got celiac, before i even went on the diet.

I feel like my entire body is shutting down on me. But I dont have fever/runny nose, nothing like that...

heres the symptoms I'm suffering from right now:

~dizzyness

~headache

~heavy feeling in eyelids

~blurred vission

~sore eyes

~blocked nose (but I always have that)

~loss of hearing

~hoarseness

~rapid heartbeat/asthma

~nausea

~diahrrea

~slight stomach pains

~poor appetite

~dermatitis is SO acting up

~shivering fits

~aches in joints/muscles

~anxiety

~general feeling of misery

~irritability

~confusion

~restlessness

~poor concentration

~insomnia.

....could it be stress from a zillion tests/tough assigments at school???

Like I said, I havent felt this sick since before I went gluten-free....

Any opinion will be great.

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

It could be a gluten contamination, but might also want to think of tainted food or plain old fashioned flu.

What ever it is, I sure hope you feel better soon.

Guest nini

I was going to say that it sounds like the flu to me...

Lisa Mentor

Lisa, I don't know if I can help, but I felt that way when I ate some seafood out of season. Had the fever, aches and pains and bit the heads off anyone who entered the room. I do think that being gluten-free offers other "koodies" into out system. Maybe we are more sensitive to other invaders.

I hope that you are feeling better by now. Drink lots of water and try to flush the "kooties" out of your system. I know that you have lots to do and if you can't, remember that Celiac is a disabilty and you have several rights afforded to you at school. Look into Disability Services and with proper documentations, you can test when you are able, and take as much time as you need. Don't disregard that avenue that the school can provide for you. Take every advantage.

Hope that you will feel better soon.Lisa

jerseyangel Proficient

Considering the time of year, and that you're in school with so many others, I think you could have the flu or some other virus. Sorry you're so ill :( . Try and get as much rest as you can, and keep well hydrated!

gabby Enthusiast

I'm confused about your post. Did you knowingly gluten yourself?

thanks

Gabby

num1habsfan Rising Star
I'm confused about your post. Did you knowingly gluten yourself?

thanks

Gabby

nope, definitely not known about gluten. I dont even know the last time i purposely ate or touched gluten...

and all these symptoms are getting worse by the day. I'm waiting for the moment of just collapsing..

My teacher said go to the doctor, and if I miss school then I miss school. Because she said understand that having Celiac isnt easy, etc. So next week I guess I'll have an appointment (if I can get in)..

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Yep, could be the flu or a virus. There are a few really miserable strains going around this year. If you eat any mainstream processed foods, you may want to read the ingredients because sometimes they change their recipe and add gluten for one reason or another.

It could be cross contamination at home too. There's a zillion ways that can happen of course. If you're feeling the same way now that you did before you went gluten-free, that's a strong possibility.

I've found that depending on what it was that I was cc'd with (actual wheat flour vs. modified wheat starch, for example), my reactions are different. With modified wheat starch, I get awful stomach cramps and nausea, and the emotional roller coaster, but it's usually over within 8-10 hours. With wheat flour it lasts a couple days, I get really itchy and super dry skin at first, then the nausea, then the next day I get the emotional roller coaster.

It could be a combo of everything though. And stress always makes things worse.

Hope you feel better soon.

Nancy

num1habsfan Rising Star

In case anyone cares, you can now add "vomiting' to that above list..

And today, my teacher told me go to the doctor because I cant keep coming to school like this... :blink:

~lisa~

jerseyangel Proficient

I care--can you call your doctor and tell them you need to see them right away--an emergency appt? Or maybe it's time to go to the emergency room--is there someone who you can call to take you there? I know you were recently sick with a kidney/bladder infection--I think you need to see someone right away.

num1habsfan Rising Star
I care--can you call your doctor and tell them you need to see them right away--an emergency appt? Or maybe it's time to go to the emergency room--is there someone who you can call to take you there? I know you were recently sick with a kidney/bladder infection--I think you need to see someone right away.

If i went to the doc office i'd never get in til next week...

So thats why tomorrow i'll go to outpatients/emergency...same thing, same place...

hopefully i'll survive til then..

but if there is any change i will put it in here..

jerseyangel Proficient

Why wait until tomorrow--you've been sick for quite a while now, according to what I can see. Can't you go now?

Guest nini

I agree, don't wait until tomorrow... go now... this has been going on too long, you don't want to get dehydrated on top of everything else. It may be a virus, it may be something more serious, it may not be, but don't wait. You may get much worse over night and that wouldn't be good. GO NOW!!!

num1habsfan Rising Star
I agree, don't wait until tomorrow... go now... this has been going on too long, you don't want to get dehydrated on top of everything else. It may be a virus, it may be something more serious, it may not be, but don't wait. You may get much worse over night and that wouldn't be good. GO NOW!!!

I cant go now, I'm still in class for another 1.5 hours almost...and then have to wait for another hour and a half for my dad to finish work. So i wont get home until around 9:45 PM, and then I have to go to my uncles place and print out a report (thats worth 10% of my mark) for tomorrow...

And tomorrow I have to leave with someone at 7 a.m. or else I just wouldnt get to school...

So tonight the doc will already be gone and i dont know in my small town if they'd call it an emergancy and before 7 am i wont be ready...

so i have no choice :(

~lisa~

Oh, btw...

I got over my bladder infection in the 5 days...and this feels worse than a bladder infection...

Jen H Contributor

Lisa,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I had the stomach flu last week and a lot of the symptoms I had overlap yours. It would be a good idea to go to the doctor and get checked out. I would think as time goes on you should begin feeling better if it's the flu. Sometimes it takes a week to get it out of your system. It sounds like you're really in a lot of pain, so a doctor would be the best person to ask.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I cant go now,

~lisa~

I got over my bladder infection in the 5 days...and this feels worse than a bladder infection...

Lisa--how long has it been since you had your bladder infection? Were you on antibiotics.

I was deathly ill with most of your symptoms after the infection was gone (by testing) and it was delayed reaction to antiobotics and ended up in the ER.

It could be flu or food poisioning but what ever...I hope the paper is for the teacher who is 'telling you to go to the dr' if so. DO WHAT SHE SAYS ..It's a rough time in college and trying to get around depending on others for transportation.

pLEASE let us know how you are later tonight.

Judy in Philly

Rusla Enthusiast

It sounds like the flu everyone but me at work has been down with it and for more than one week. My mother had it so bad for three weeks. Actually at the beginning of it at the walk-in clinic I thought she died and I think she almost did that night when for 4 minutes I could not get her to react or breath.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Lisa--how long has it been since you had your bladder infection? Were you on antibiotics.

I was deathly ill with most of your symptoms after the infection was gone (by testing) and it was delayed reaction to antiobotics and ended up in the ER.

It could be flu or food poisioning but what ever...I hope the paper is for the teacher who is 'telling you to go to the dr' if so. DO WHAT SHE SAYS ..It's a rough time in college and trying to get around depending on others for transportation.

pLEASE let us know how you are later tonight.

Judy in Philly

Yeah the report is for the teacher who said go to the doc. Its weird though that I dont have the diahrrea anymore..but absolutely anything I eat, even 100% gluten free, gives me pains like they were gluten filled and make me feel like i'll throw up!

Thats the weird thing I never get with a flu, the pains..(and i've had some mighty bad ones since i've had celiac -- bad enough that I was ordered to stay in bed for more than a week)..

Its been hmm couple weeks since my bladder infection, and I was antibiotics for 5 days (thats as much as I got), but those symptoms went away in 4 days..

I dont know what it is, but I know its got my friend worried too (he said he could tell I'm not myself lately)..

~lisa~

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Yeah the report is for the teacher who said go to the doc. Its weird though that I dont have the diahrrea anymore..but absolutely anything I eat, even 100% gluten free, gives me pains like they were gluten filled and make me feel like i'll throw up!

Thats the weird thing I never get with a flu, the pains..(and i've had some mighty bad ones since i've had celiac -- bad enough that I was ordered to stay in bed for more than a week)..

Its been hmm couple weeks since my bladder infection, and I was antibiotics for 5 days (thats as much as I got), but those symptoms went away in 4 days..

I dont know what it is, but I know its got my friend worried too (he said he could tell I'm not myself lately)..

~lisa~

WELL how are you today???

did you get the paper done and get to the dr?

Judy

num1habsfan Rising Star

I'm definitely not feeling better. Today was worse, much worse I was even MORE careful about contamination, that I even only ate cheez whiz (from my own jar) on plain rice bread for lunch. And I thought I would die.

So i went to outpatients when I got home after school, and it was funny the doctor was like "all my friends are coming back to see me" (because this is my 3rd time seeing him in the last few weeks) :lol:

Anyways, he listened to my stomach and stuff, asked me some questions I wont repeat, and put me on 3 medications:

Metronidazole..250 mg.. 2 tablets, 3 times daily .. for 7 days

Buscopan..10 mg.. 1 tablet, 3 times daily .. for 7 days

Prednisone..5 mg..1 tablet, twice daily .. 7 days

I think in a way, its kinda ironic/funny...that eating makes me nearly die of pains, yet 2 of the 3 meds you gotta take them with food :P

Anyways, thats my update..

~lisa~

johanna Newbie

Lisa, I don't know if I can help, but I felt that way when I ate some seafood out of season. Had the fever, aches and pains and bit the heads off anyone who entered the room. I do think that being gluten-free offers other "koodies" into out system. Maybe we are more sensitive to other invaders.

Could you explain what you mean about being gluten-free and increased susceptibility to "koodies"? Does our immune system actually get weaker gluten-free?

num1habsfan Rising Star

OK so, bit of an update .. the pain, it does not go away anymore...

the meds only work enough that they zonk me out so i dont feel it for a couple hours...

still anything I eat makes my tummy instantly churn and make noise...

tonight during classes I nearly had an asthma attack, I had to go take my inhaler because of how much pain there was (I couldnt breathe--no joke)...

AND

the worst of all...

I weight myself today, and in the last couple of weeks I have lost 8 pounds :blink:

From 136, down to 128 today...

I'm going to go back to ER tomorrow night, tell them to do SOMETHING because I am NOT going to be in any state to study and write midterm exams that start next wednesday!!

~lisa~

SurreyGirl Rookie

Lisa, sweetheart, you have me very worried. It was you who talked about UTI a few weeks ago? And then the bladder infection? I hope you can prove me wrong, but it does look to me that you have something wrong with kidneys.

You MUST have your kidneys assessed URGENTLY. Please don't go treating just the latest symptom. Your symptoms suggest that there is something wrong with elimination of toxins via kidneys. This gives the food poisoning/flu symptoms as well as swollen/heavy eyelids and most (if not all) symptoms you describe. It can get VERY serious, so please see doc's urgently - and make sure you tell them all the history.

jerseyangel Proficient

Lisa--Good to hear you are going back to the doctor. Been wondering how you were doing. The weight loss is not good. There's definately something else going on--very possibly stemming from your kidney infection. I believe you said you were on antibiotics for 5 days. That may not have been enough time, and the infection may have come back. Let the doc. know what has been happening, what you took for it, how long, etc. I'll be saying a little prayer for you--please let us know how you do.

num1habsfan Rising Star

So I went back to the hospital tonight when I got back into town, around 7:15 ..

And I didnt get home til almost 9 ..

She asked me when was the last time I had a colonoscopy, I said basically 2 years ago ..

And then I had to get x-rays, and evil bloodwork ..

The bloodwork turned out fine, she said everything is at a normal level ..

She said right now, according the x-rays, my colon/intestine is really blocked .. not blocked, but she said theres stuff all over the inside of my colon .. (and I HAVE had some uh .... bowel movement, actually 4 times today and not even an hour before i had the xrays done) ..

I got more prescription for Prednisone and Buscopan. And if they dont improve my stomach any by the time the prescription runs out, then call the office ..

Its so weird .. but yeah, thats my update ..

~lisa~

Archived