This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Test Results

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

ok, had stool tests done too when they finally tested for celiac disease. Know the Genardia (?) was ck'd and parasites i think going to go ck my tests results.

how do they ck for the adrenals...didn't he do that and it was ok.

I'm thinking that my thyroid is low now so want all this stuff ck'd at one time.

They were doing to celiac disease panel--minus the gene test..won't pay. to see if #'s came down.

Judy

I had stool tests done through my HMO but they would only check for Giardia (sp?). They wouldn't check for anything else.

I went to an outside lab and had a stool test for parasites, bacteria, etc...It came back normal. My new doctor ordered the stool test from a different lab and I came back positive for the C. Diff....looked at my old test results and C. Diff was never checked before. I guess thats why nothing was ever found previously. :(

One thing has bothered me for a long time now. When I got my Enterolab results back the malabsorption was quite high. I've seen plenty of people post their test results but nobody with such high malabsorption. Even when their tTg and IgA are much higher than mine....they still dont have that high malabsorption. I always wondered if it could be something else causing it other than just gluten....especially since I'm still not absorbing well.

This was my result for malabsorption

Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 912 Units (Normal Range < 300 Units)

and this is what it said on the report with my results:

Possible causes of elevated fecal fat scores besides gluten-induced damage

to the intestine include:

* Another inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease which is

associated with gluten sensitivity)

* Deficiency in the production or secretion of pancreatic enzymes or bile salts

* Overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine

* Diarrhea itself causing the fat to rush through the intestine unabsorbed

* Consuming very large amounts of dietary fat, eating unabsorbable

synthetic dietary fat substitutes or taking "fat blockers"

* Resection of the small intestine causing "short bowel syndrome"

I remember asking my doctors if I could get tested for bacteria overgrowth...I tried to show them these results. They wouldnt look at it and just told me "No...you dont have a bacteria infection ...you dont even have malabsorption." Apparantly they could tell all this just by looking at me. :blink:

Obviously all my other tests are proving them wrong but I've been suffering with this for a long time now. :angry:

I just want to start gaining some weight back.

My adrenals were checked with a saliva test. The results werent extremely bad but not normal either. I'm not too worried about it....more worried about the bacteria.

Ok...so is this something I need a prescription for? or do I buy it over the counter? Which brands are gluten-free?

What doesage do you take and for how long?

No...you dont need a prescription...they have probiotics in most grocery stores, drug stores, etc. I prefer to buy them from health stores because its better quality. You want to get the refrigerated kind...suppossedly they are much better. You can also eat lots of yogurt for probiotics. I'm not familiar with all the brands, which are gluten-free, etc.

You may want to search the forum for probiotics to see what others are using....or you can start a new thread asking what type of probiotics are gluten-free.

Sorry, I cant help more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kathy1 Contributor

I was tested by a breath test this fall and Dx with bacterial overgrowth of the small intestines. I have had Gi problems myself even though it is my husb and son dx with celiac disease. I have always been told that I have IBS even though I do not have many of the symptoms. the Dr decided to run this test, which came back postive.Also tested me for Celiac which came back negative. They put me on Flaygl and I immediately felt better. Now as time has passed the symptoms have returned. I just havent made it back to the drs to investigate since I am dealing with other medical issues in the family right now.

Thanks for the info on the probotics.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well...I'm back from my appt. and not too happy. :(

I kind of lagged on taking my test for H. Pylori so the lab didnt get my sample until today. Too soon to know the results. The doctor said he will not give me antibiotics for the C. Diff until he knows whether I have H. Pylori or not. I have major brain-fog tonite so I may not of understood him correctly but I *think* he said something about H. Pylori causing low stomach acid. The stomach acid is necessary in protein digestion but also aids in fighting off bad bacteria. Something about low stomach acid causes undigested food to ferment and creates perfect environment for infections. I guess his point was that it would be "backwards" to treat C. Diff first because it will just come back if H. Pylori is present. I have to wait one more week. :angry:

I just want to get on the meds to see if I feel better. I'm in a big hurry and dont have a ton of patience when it comes to this. If I dont get better from treatment we will have to go back to taking more tests.

I just dont know how I could have this w/out having diarreah. He said its not like IgG testing where you can still test positive for something thats already passed. He said C. Diff toxin A was found in my stool and this indicates that I have an active infection right now. I'm so confused.

Somebody pm'd me saying they've had C. Diff before with severe diarreah and distress and that they've never heard of it w/out "D". Also, that 1/3 of people who get it....die from it. I've felt like I was dying lots of times....even started to say good-bye to people at one point. But I'm still here...and I still don't have "D". :huh:

Hopefully next week I'll have better news to share. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Rachel--when I saw you posted just now, I was interested to see how you did at the Dr. Sorry you have to wait another week. Bummer, I know. Keep your chin up--just remember-- you have a dr. that is interested in finding out what's wrong. That's huge! You're going to get to the bottom of it, I just know it :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hi Rachel-. Bummer, I know. Keep your chin up--just remember-- you have a dr. that is interested in finding out what's wrong. That's huge! You're going to get to the bottom of it, I just know it :)

ditto Patti

Rachel, I'm sorry, hang in we love ya

Judy in Philly

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks guys! :)

I'll be in better spirits after I get some sleep. I'm really super tired tonight so its bringing me down I think. Thanks for your support...I felt better reading your posts. :)

thomas3000 Rookie

Hi Rachel,

Please trust this doc and don't lose hope!! They found the infection and he is absolutely right in waiting for the treatment. At least you don't have parasites to treat as well, because you would be on multiple meds..Biohealth reversed 50 out of 50 autoimmune cases in one year, I don't think anyone else has that kind of success. Dr. Timmins is a genius and your doc learned from him. Be patient and stay positive through this, because they know what they're doing. H. pylori also is the bacteria that causes ulcers and stomach cancer, but not everybody gets it. C. difficile causes major intestinal symptoms in some but not all. Just like gluten causes different symptoms in many people. I would stop researching if I were you and let your doctor, god, and your body work it's healing magic. My prayers go out to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi Rachel,

Please trust this doc and don't lose hope!! They found the infection and he is absolutely right in waiting for the treatment. At least you don't have parasites to treat as well, because you would be on multiple meds..Biohealth reversed 50 out of 50 autoimmune cases in one year, I don't think anyone else has that kind of success. Dr. Timmins is a genius and your doc learned from him. Be patient and stay positive through this, because they know what they're doing. H. pylori also is the bacteria that causes ulcers and stomach cancer, but not everybody gets it. C. difficile causes major intestinal symptoms in some but not all. Just like gluten causes different symptoms in many people. I would stop researching if I were you and let your doctor, god, and your body work it's healing magic. My prayers go out to you!

Thomas,

Great post!! Thank you....I really needed to hear that today. :)

I'm going to take your advice on this. I end up exhausting myself with all my research. :rolleyes:

I do have faith in the doctor so I'll just let him do his thing. Also God has been helping me through this from day one so I couldn't be in better hands. I will try to have more patience.

Thanks alot for your support, prayers and positive messages. :)

Also I had been concerned about C. Diff being difficult to get rid of. I had read numerous stories on C. Diff message board where it keeps coming back after treatment. The doctor said those people would have underlying issues such as gluten intolernance which is why infections would be reoccurring. He said I'm already ahead of the game in having already been gluten-free several months before seeing him. This I feel really good about because I've been completely comitted to the diet since last April...I know its going to make the healing process go much quicker. He's working on healing my gut with L-glutamine now. In the past L-glutamine has been harsh on my intestines but he gave me something that will be much more soothing so will start taking that today.

My doc really does believe gluten to be a major factor in many illnesses. He's from the camp that believes gluten is no good for anyone who is genetically susceptible...his thinking is right in-line with what is discussed in Dangerous Grains.

Nancym Enthusiast

Oh! I just caught this reference to Biohealth and looked it up. It is in my town! I have a sneaking suspicion I might have some autoimmune disease brewing or something else causing me problems. These guys are good?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh! I just caught this reference to Biohealth and looked it up. It is in my town! I have a sneaking suspicion I might have some autoimmune disease brewing or something else causing me problems. These guys are good?

Nancy,

I go to a clinic called HealthNow and all the tests they have run have been through Biohealth Diagnostics. Its out of the mainstream and the doctors use functional tests and functional medicine. So far for me its been an awesome experience...makes me wonder how all the people I've seen previously can even call themselves doctors. I'm finally getting somewhere with my health problems instead of feeling like I'm at a deadend wanting to pull all my hair out in frusteration. Can't say enough good things. :)

I'm new at this but Thomas3000 knows alot about Biohealth. He can probably refer you to a doc in your area.

thomas3000 Rookie

I have heard many interested stories on how these infections can wreak havoc on the body and mind. One story is about a family of four. The dad became ill with severe skin rashes and fatigue and went to numerous docs and they gave him drugs for the skin condition and depression. He got tired of that approach and went to Dr. Timmins from Biohealth. They found a Giardia Lambia infection in all his stool samples and blood tests. He was treated for it and the condition disappeared in 4 days. It then came back and the cycle repeated. He was treat again for the infection and the condition disappeared again, only to resurface a few months later. Dr. Timmins urged to get the entire family to get tested and they all had the parasite. They all received treatment and the mother said she felt better than she had in years and the 2 daughters grades went from C's to A's immediately. This lab and it's doctors truly want to help people and don't believe in the "It's all in your head" diagnosis. Every base is covered with them. If they treat an infection with drugs, they inform you to retest and take healthy bacteria afterword. It's a truly holistic approach and it works. They really educate patients to live a healthy lifestyle to reverse and prevent health problems. I am in no way affiliated with them, but promote them whenever I can. Depresion/anxiety/and bipolar run in my family, and through my doc and my own research, are family is very gluten intolerant..The problem is my family doesn't want to give up there pizza and spaghetti. They would rather take Prozac and live dangerously. Oh well, I can't control anyone but what I do, so I've given up on them. Although my dad took my advice and his blood pressure is normal for the first time in 30 years, but he wants to stay on the drugs(dependency maybe)???

Jen H Contributor

Hey Kathy1,

I started taking probiotics (a.k.a. acidopholus) while I was on a month of antibiotics. In the beginning of my course of meds, I was enduring a lot of stomach pain. Once I started acidopholus, a lot of the pain went away. I take 1 caplet 2 times a day. I just followed the directions on the bottle. I found out that Whole Foods has a version which is gluten free. They keep it in the refridgerated section of the supermarket. Also, Naturesmade makes a gluten free version which is not refrigerated. I found that at CVS. I have heard that the refridgerated kind is better for you to take because it stays more potent.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well...I just got back from the doctors and I'm pretty excited right now. I tested negative for H. Pylori. :)

The good news is now I can finally (after 2 long weeks) start treatment for C-diff. I start on the antibiotics tomorrow and I've got plenty of probiotics to back me up. :) I'm anxious to see if getting rid of this thing can get me back to living a normal gluten-free life. The doc said its a good possibility. I think I must have asked him about 10 times if this one infection could make me this sick and could this one infection mess me up so bad. Its a little hard for me to grasp because in April of last year I felt I was near death but the diet pretty much saved my life. I figured out there was more to my illness than just gluten and I'm really praying that this is the end of it for me. I just want to be able to eat a normal gluten-free diet sometime in the near future and maybe have a drink or two. :D

Anyways whatever happens...I'm prepared for it. If I dont get better I just keep truckin' along cuz the answer is there somewhere and I'm gonna find it. :)

debmidge Rising Star

Rachel:

Best Wishes for a speedy resolution and getting good health!

Debbie

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel:

Best Wishes for a speedy resolution and getting good health!

Debbie

Thanks so much Debbie! :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Anyways whatever happens...I'm prepared for it. If I dont get better I just keep truckin' along cuz the answer is there somewhere and I'm gonna find it. :)

Love your attitude, Rachel!

i'm sure it's what's kept you going all these years.

I'm so glad your found some answers..God knows you've been trying hard enough.

Judy in PHilly

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--was wondering how you did at the dr.--fell asleep last night at 9:30! Anyway, good to hear you can start the antibiotics. Here's hoping they will do the trick :)

floridanative Community Regular

Rachel - wow I hope you're finally on the road to feeling great! You sure are a trooper and an inspiration to the rest of us. You should pat yourself on the back! You are doing everything in your power to get better instead of giving up. I'm so happy to hear you've kept your bubbly attitude through all this. Have a most wonderful Valentine's Day my dear.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks....you guys are the best and you're posts have made a good day even better! :D

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI, I have/had H.Polri too in the past. I've taken what's called a tip pack (I think that's the name) where it had three different typs of antibiotics and a nexium (or something like that). Now, if memory serves me right, I think the H. Polori can stay in your system for a few months, even if it's cleared up in your belly.

Nicole

Rachel--24 Collaborator
HI, I have/had H.Polri too in the past. I've taken what's called a tip pack (I think that's the name) where it had three different typs of antibiotics and a nexium (or something like that). Now, if memory serves me right, I think the H. Polori can stay in your system for a few months, even if it's cleared up in your belly.

Nicole

I actually dont have H. Pylori. They checked for it during my biopsy and both my blood and stool were negative. If I *did* have it the doc had already explained the treatment to me. It was probably what you had...some kind of triple treatment. There were 3 drugs involved but I lucked out in testing negative cuz now I only need to take one antibiotic for the C. Diff. The only thing is I think C-Diff is harder to get rid of then the H. Pylori but I wont worry about that right now. :)

penguin Community Regular

I've had the h. pylori blood test about sixteen THOUSAND times, and that's what they biopsied me for a few years ago with the endoscopy. Everyone was CONvinced that my horrific stomach pain was from an ulcer. Idiots. How many times do you need to do a friggin' test before you can say that's not it?! They also did several occult blood stool samples. Negatory every single time.

Then a dr told me I had bulemia :huh: Uh, sure.

The drs just started throwing narcotics at me and told me to go away. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, make sure they do other tests for ulcers, in case that's another problem.

Also, the h. pylori blood tests aren't terribly sensitive, so vigilance is key! I don't know about the other ones...

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Also, the h. pylori blood tests aren't terribly sensitive, so vigilance is key! I don't know about the other ones...

The stool test is suppossed to be much more sensitive than the blood test. Hopefully the tests are right and I dont have it and never get it. :D

I think since every test was negative it can be safely ruled out. Plus I have no ulcers (that I know of) and I really dont have stomach pain. I have mild abdominal pain. I guess its abdominal...I dunno...its really low though. :unsure: How do they check for ulcers? Would it have been something seen during my endoscopy? My doctor only wanted to check for H. Pylori since it apparantly causes low stomach acid which can contribute to other bacteria infections. Since I have the C-Diff he just wanted to make sure H. Plyori wasnt contributing to that.

Guest BERNESES

Hi Rachel- i'm glad the h pylori is negative and they can start treating you for the c Diff. You WILL get to the bottom of this because you are woman and we hear you roar!!!!!!! Sending out healing thoughts and prayers for you, Beverly

PS Don't even tell me your HMO was Kaiser. So as to avoid getting off topic, PM me if it was.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
PS Don't even tell me your HMO was Kaiser. So as to avoid getting off topic, PM me if it was.

Umm...yes. However did you figure that one out? Don't even get me started on that.

Thank God in Heaven above that I'm no longer a member. :D

Archived