4 replies to this topic

#1 soul04

soul04

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:23 AM

Has anyone had any good experiences with store-bought gluten-free bread. I don't have time to bake my own bread, and the only kind I've tried (rice bread), was, in my opinion, awful. Please help. I need to make my sandwiches ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:39 AM

I haven't found any great bread either. Everything I have tried has been NASTY!! So I have sort of givin up on that route of sandwich making. Instead of bread, I just do a meat roll-up with cheese and sometimes mayo in the middle. Lay the meat out flat, add your cheese or whatever in the middle and then roll it up. It isn't bad at all.

Sometimes I also put a piece of lettuce on the outside and roll it up with the lettuce on the outer layer, then you don't get uckey lunchmeat fingers.

Good luck on your bread search, but in the meantime you can try that!!
-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Susan123

Susan123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:46 AM

I know you said you tried rice bread but I like Food for Life Brown Rice Bread. I have tried numerous ones only to gag everytime I swallowed it. Tasted like Sawdust. The Food for Life is better tasting when toasted. Also, I am not sure who makes it but there is a gluten-free French Roll that kind of looks like a big english muffin. It almost taste like a real english muffin but it is big enough to make a sandwich. I have found them in Trader Joe's markets.

#4 julia mom

julia mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:01 AM

Kinnikinnick makes the best sandwich bread in my opinion. I lightly toast it and it blows all the others away. My three year old eats it and she is just reciently gluten-free. My
health food store has it but it can also be ordered at http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

#5 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:24 AM

I whole heartedly agree with julia_mom, kinnikinnick does make the best bread. And they have doughnuts and cinnamon rolls too!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: