This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Guidelines For Losing Weight?

Guest stef 4 dogs

Guest stef 4 dogs

Hi all, wondering about the use of diet supplements to loose some of the weight I gained eating healthier?

has anyone tried it and did it work?

Desperate!!!!!!!

Stef

dlp252 are you there?

stef

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest stef 4 dogs
Hi all, wondering about the use of diet supplements to loose some of the weight I gained eating healthier?

Desperate!!!!!!!

Stef

dlp252 are you there?

stef

Listen anyone! I'm only one month into diagnosing and I'm alittle concerned about the weight gain. I'm only a little active and have no room to grow!!! Has anyone tried using diet pills being a celiac and did it help?

Stef

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Personally, I think diet pills are the worst thing for you and definitely not a permanent solution.

I work out every morning and monitor my diet pretty closely (3 meals a day and 3 in between snacks - normally yogurt, fruits or "ensure")

Here are some things that can help you lose weight

1. Work out in the morning

2. No carbs after 7 p.m.

3. No processed foods

4. Use "Better Eggs" or "Egg Substitute" in the mornings with some corn torillas and salsa -- gotta get you morning off to a good start.

5. When you eat lunch or dinner, only eat portions that are the euivalent size of your fist -- any bigger than that and you will gain weight (you can eat more veggies if you like).

6. Only drink Coffee, water and skim milk (soda is sooooooo bad for you -- even processed juice stays with you and turns into fat easily)

Hope this helps --

Give people some time to reply to the post -- it looks like you posted a second time 14 minutes after your first -- we will get to ya, it just takes time when you work during the day -- a lot of people check this stuff at night/late afternoon

Guest stef 4 dogs
Personally, I think diet pills are the worst thing for you and definitely not a permanent solution.

I work out every morning and monitor my diet pretty closely (3 meals a day and 3 in between snacks - normally yogurt, fruits or "ensure")

2. No carbs after 7 p.m.

3. No processed foods

4. Use "Better Eggs" or "Egg Substitute" in the mornings with some corn torillas and salsa -- gotta get you morning off to a good start.

5. When you eat lunch or dinner, only eat portions that are the euivalent size of your fist -- any bigger than that and you will gain weight (you can eat more veggies if you like).

6. Only drink Coffee, water and skim milk (soda is sooooooo bad for you -- even processed juice stays with you and turns into fat easily)

Hope this helps --

Give people some time to reply to the post -- it looks like you posted a second time 14 minutes after your first -- we will get to ya, it just takes time when you work during the day -- a lot of people check this stuff at night/late afternoon

I thought egg subs were off the list for can't have's? Is it possible that the body goes through de-tox and it may take me sometime to loose? I've been told that before and I wonder if it's true.

IronedOut Apprentice

Hi - I think I did this right. Below is the kink to my post to your question. Think I just got it in the wrong place.

Open Original Shared Link

Keep checking back. Someone in 7,400 will have some knowledge about diet pills and Celiac weight gain.

dlp252 Apprentice
I thought egg subs were off the list for can't have's? Is it possible that the body goes through de-tox and it may take me sometime to loose? I've been told that before and I wonder if it's true.

I think it's true in my case....I don't know about the egg substitutes, but I am definitely feeling like I'm going through a detox!

Guest stef 4 dogs
I think it's true in my case....I don't know about the egg substitutes, but I am definitely feeling like I'm going through a detox!

I have to say I never even heard of this disease until 4 weeks ago. I thought I could loose weight eating healthier. It seems to me that alot of the gluten free stuff is ladden with cane juice no wonder there's weight gain! I haven't found much thats tasty gluten free. I've been sticking with fruits and veggies and meats. I feel like the extra weight i put on should melt off but thats not happening! I'm totally freaked out! I'm only 5'2' and I put on 30 lbs. Managed to shed ten and there she stopped like a train wreck! I'm bloated and miserable! It's like bad PMS!!!

Stef 4 dogs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I highly recommend this book (although it does not encourage the use of diet pills and deals with much more than just dieting)

It's easy to read and I found the information to be very beneficial. The author, Paul Chek, also happens to be an advocate of the gluten-free diet.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I had the same problem and it turned out I was hypothyroid. After I got that straightened out, I lost about 10+ lbs. Also, I went on the SCD (Specific carbohydrate diet), which basically cleans you out. You eat no processed foods. If you really want to lose weight and allow your intestines to heal, go on this diet!!!!

Guest stef 4 dogs
I highly recommend this book (although it does not encourage the use of diet pills and deals with much more than just dieting)

It's easy to read and I found the information to be very beneficial. The author, Paul Chek, also happens to be an advocate of the gluten-free diet.

thanks! I'll check out the book! Did you go through any weight issues when you first started this?

Stef

I had the same problem and it turned out I was hypothyroid. After I got that straightened out, I lost about 10+ lbs.

I am Hypo thyroid, and have mono. Docs thinks its pretty much the result of this mess! She said I'm borderline anemia too. System crash from too long without a dx? I think so...

Stef

danikali Enthusiast

2. No carbs after 7 p.m.

3. No processed foods

Hope this helps --

I don't understand when they say that you should eat the equivilance to the size of your fist. I'm not looking to loose weight, but I've never understood that. Today, a snack I had was a big granny smith apple and a big banana. So that was a bad portion size? My fist is pretty small. Really small actually. I couldn't imagine having my meal sizes that small. I do know that calories play a big part, and really, that is the only way to loose weight, regardless of if you are eating healthier foods or not. But a fist? Can you explain this to me? I'm going to have kids one day and I know I will gain weight from that.......but if I want to get back to the size I am now, I have to eat a fist full a meal? That's scary!

dlp252 Apprentice
I have to say I never even heard of this disease until 4 weeks ago. I thought I could loose weight eating healthier. It seems to me that alot of the gluten free stuff is ladden with cane juice no wonder there's weight gain! I haven't found much thats tasty gluten free. I've been sticking with fruits and veggies and meats. I feel like the extra weight i put on should melt off but thats not happening! I'm totally freaked out! I'm only 5'2' and I put on 30 lbs. Managed to shed ten and there she stopped like a train wreck! I'm bloated and miserable! It's like bad PMS!!!

Yep, I've put on about 4 or 5 pounds, but I know it's mostly because I've been eating the gluten free products instead of the basic meats, fruits and veggies. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly!

PreOptMegs Explorer

Honestly, if you eat too small of portions, it is just a "tease" for your body and you are going to end up eating more anyway, so just eat a satisfying amount the first time...

Guest stef 4 dogs
Yep, I've put on about 4 or 5 pounds, but I know it's mostly because I've been eating the gluten free products instead of the basic meats, fruits and veggies. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly!

Hi Donna! Thanks for that! It seems like alot of people are having weight loss and not weight gain. I bet after awhile of de'tox if that's what it is, I should bounce back or hopefully giggle less!!!

Stef

mookie03 Contributor
I don't understand when they say that you should eat the equivilance to the size of your fist. I'm not looking to loose weight, but I've never understood that. Today, a snack I had was a big granny smith apple and a big banana. So that was a bad portion size? My fist is pretty small. Really small actually. I couldn't imagine having my meal sizes that small. I do know that calories play a big part, and really, that is the only way to loose weight, regardless of if you are eating healthier foods or not. But a fist? Can you explain this to me? I'm going to have kids one day and I know I will gain weight from that.......but if I want to get back to the size I am now, I have to eat a fist full a meal? That's scary!

Dani- totally with you on this one...i always thought it was something concocted by weight watchers or something to control people and shock them into decreasing their portion size... i totally dont get it. my interpretation of it is that when you go to a restaurant, and they give you a piece of meat, fish, chicken, whatever, that is the size of your head, you are overeating. and that you should judge portion size in that instance by the size of a fist. Or that ur fist is approximately equivalent to a cup of pasta, which is a portion... I dont think its an exact science, just a way to get people to rethink how much they are eating in restaurants. Although, i could be TOTALLY wrong-- I think i am a pretty good judge of portion size so i dont really worry about it. and as far as i know it doesnt apply really to fruit and veggies, but that could be way off too :huh:

danikali Enthusiast

Oh okay Stefi, I hope you're right! hhaha or otherwise, I'm gonna be a whale someday! hahaha.

jerseyangel Proficient

On the subject of "the fist"--I have read many times that on a dinner plate, the protein should be able to fit in the palm of your hand. The starch should be about the size of your fist. The rest of the plate should be filled in with veggies. The reason I remember this should tell you how many times I've tried to diet over the years! When I first went gluten-free, I overdid it with the bread and baked goods. I put on 12 lbs. The past few weeks, I've been eating just meats, fruit, veggies, olive oil, potatoes and water. I really don't limit my portions. I feel better, and have lost a couple pounds.

I don't think the "fist" theory is meant to be an exact science -- it is meant to give the eat er an idea of what portion size you should be consuming.

We, as americans, eat way too much for a good body weight.

My fist would equate to a normal size grilled chicken breast, a small baked potato and a good amount of steamed veggies -- what in the world is wrong with that?

Too many people eat a huge piece of chicken (grilled or otherwise) -- a hige baked potato (with butter and sour cream) and a garden of sauteed veggies -- its easy to see why this is not the best thing for you.

I am not hungry all day because I have my "inbetween snacks" of an apple or yogurt or ensure shake or carrots, etc...

Its really quite simple -- you don't have to eat 3 lbs of food to achieve being "full"...

It works for me, I guess that is what really matters (for me)

Bronco

p.s. -- Barring some glandular issue, if you burn more calories than you eat, then you will lose weight -- that is why exercise is sooo important!!! (having said that, it is still a bad idea to eat carbs after 7 p.m. -- your body will turn them into fat while you sleep)

PreOptMegs Explorer

Wow... I just want to say that some people get full off of eating basically nothing. I am not one of those people, so I understand when people are suprised when they realize a serving size is so small. Yes, serving size should count for something, but for me, I fill myself up with foods that are mostly water and low in calories... Example: carrots, green beans, lettuce.

Soory about the confusion Megs,

I thought you were poking fun of my "fist-portion-size" meal plan -- its hard to interpret e-mail somtimes...I hope you didn't find my post offensive...

I think we are all just trying to help...

I just know that diet pills are pretty bad for you (health wise)...exercise and portio control should help most (not all) people...

Speaking of which, time to leave work and go work out!!

ianm Apprentice

The fist sized portion has merit because your stomach is not much bigger than that. I find that if I eat much more than that I have less energy not nore. As long as you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. Exercise is the key, if your not moving your not burning off that fat.

Timber4est Rookie

Yeah, I have a great book titled Body for Life for Women by Dr. Pamela Peeke. She also wrote Body for Life which works great for men.

I highly suggest this book to anyone. It is all about the three M's Mind, Mouth, Muscle.

Diet Pills, I try to stay away from medications, the list of complications or side effects is enough to scare anyone from swollowing.

Guest nini

Stef... I've been gluten-free now for almost 3 years... I have now lost 100 pounds... I'm also 5'2"... I have a whole bunch of tricks and ideas for losing weight, but a weight loss pill is not one of them. I don't reccommend them.

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me (nisla@comcast.net) and I will gladly share some of my weight loss tips.

CMCM Rising Star

Desperate!!!!!!!

Stef

dlp252 are you there?

stef

There are NO magic diet pills, believe me. You can go overboard with gluten free items (cookies, cakes etc.) and gain weight from too much of those....high sugar, high calorie items. The best thing is eating 5 or so small meals a day (basically eating small amounts every 2-3 hours). This is a metabolism boosting thing...the body exerts energy digesting food....but you aren't eating large amounts so excess isn't getting stored as fat. Concentrate on lean meats, eggs, vegetables, low glycemic fruits in moderation, a decent amount of water. Ditch the sugar and starches. Be consistent in your eating, and daily exercise is a huge help as well. It's consistency that counts in weight loss. I have learned that it's very easy to eat more than you need, and the body actually needs a lot less food than I thought. I found for myself that cutting out the grains, sugar and high glycemic carbs led to reduced hunger and cravings and made the whole thing a lot easier.

Archived