This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peanut Butter Banana Choc Chip Muffins

mookie03

mookie03 Contributor

So, i was looking through my weekly grocery catalog for this place that sells a lot of gluten-free foods, and was about to toss it when i saw this recipe on the back...i have to say, for a peanut butter, banana AND chocolate lover like myself, this sounded too interesting not to post! Havent made them yet, but heres the recipe:

gluten-free PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

3 bananas

2 eggs

1/2 cup raw sugar

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 3/4 cup white rice flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/3 cup butter or shortening (melted)

1/2 cup buttermilk (if dairy products are a problem, use 1/2 cup rice milk mixed w/ 1 tsp lemon juice)

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 4 ingredients in a food processor. Blend for 1 minute. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. When thoroughly mixed, add to food processor, along w/ the butter and milk. Blend well. Add the chocolate chips and press "pulse" once or twice. Ladle the batter into muffin tins lined w/ papers, filling each paper to the top. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch. Cool and serve. Top w/ frosting or chocolate drizzles, if desired.

FYI, while we're on the subject of peanut butter (my fav subject...), next to the recipe is an article "Harvard Study shows 1/2 serving of peanut butter or full serving of peanuts eaten daily significantly cuts risk of Type 2 Diabetes"-- WOOHOO, from someone who is high risk for Type 2 and eats a LOT of peanut butter :P (obviously i have no idea how accurate the study is, just wanted to share) :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yum! Thanks! There is no better combo than peanut butter, banana and chocolate. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks so much for this post

did a print of the recipe and going to try today if i can.

I have some bananas that have 'gone south' so wanted to use then up.

judy in philly

Guest Mari

I can't wait to try this! What a great combo. I think my son will absolutely love it!!!

mookie03 Contributor

I know! i saw this and thought "WOW, i must post this one!!"

Judy- if u try it today, let me know how it goes-- i cant wait to try it!

jenvan Collaborator

Stefi-

Thanks--saw this and thought it sounded great!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Well I'm trying it:blink: :blink:

took 2 hrs to find all the ingred as they are all over the kitchen

3 hrs later it's in the oven.... :blink:

this is from someone who HATES to cook and hasn't cooked until 6 months ago and started on this program/.

threw all my muffin tins out. so used the liners in a 9 X 12 pan. :blink:

put 2 tsp of soda instead of 1 :ph34r:

tried to take it out all looks to same to me....

bell went off.

i'll let you know :blink::blink::blink:

judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Mookie03's Recipe is GREAT but this is what i ended up with...REMEMBER I HATE TO COOK--

OK FOLKS--WARNING--DON'T ANY USE MY RECIPE AS PRINTED BELOW---

THERES LOTS OF QUESTIONS??? :ph34r:

:gluten-free PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

3 bananas( I used 4 with the juice of 4 clementines squeezed and mushed into bananas to keep from turning brown and gross.) Had these around so had gotten this together yesterday so wouldn't go to waste.

2 eggs (ok did that)

1/2 cup raw sugar (what the heck is raw sugar :blink: I used real white regular sugar)

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (didn't have any so used crunchy Crazy Richards)

1 3/4 cup white rice flour ( I had sweet white rice flour from TJ) What's the difference??? :blink:

2 tsp baking powder (ok did that)

1 tsp baking soda (well missread this so put in 2--gross tried to get it out but all looked the same)

1/3 cup butter or shortening (melted) (ok did this)

1/2 cup buttermilk (if dairy products are a problem, use 1/2 cup rice milk mixed w/ 1 tsp lemon juice)( ok had almond breeze vanilla milk substitute and no lemon juice so left it out) :ph34r:

1/2 cup chocolate chips ( was pouring into measure over bowl and more went in but who cares)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 4 ingredients in a food processor. ( just got a new hamilton beach standing mixer so just used that for everything) Blend for 1 minute. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. When thoroughly mixed, add to food processor, along w/ the butter and milk. Blend well. Add the chocolate chips and press "pulse" once or twice. Ladle the batter into muffin tins lined w/ papers, filling each paper to the top. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch. ( well, 12 and still finger goes into goop--10 more minutes and still goop--10 more minutes--goop--10 more minutes and looked ok so let's see if i can do math. is that 55 min....) Cool and serve. Top w/ frosting or chocolate drizzles, if desired. Think mine with all that soda will need some frosting? ;)

Ok--so are all cooks still with me?????? :lol:

Hubby says, "are you still trying to cook that, You know it always tastes like saw dust"???? He's not a mean man REALLY just doesn't mince words :lol: and hate to admit he's RIGHT. IT DOES :rolleyes:

For those who have hung in there with this boring thread...

I've been in the process of organizing my kitchen for 6 months and it was done until i brought in all this flour and gluten-free cooking stuff. I'm happy to report...I have a shelf now for Just my cooking stuff. Think someone here said to keep the flours in the refrig and some said freezer... what do you think? I have in a big plasic bin in refrig so i can find it all easily.

Any help on the other ingred of this recipe will be appreciated by me and REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED BY MY DEAR HUBBY.

BUT A REALLY WONDERFUL SURPRISE...LET COOL ALITTLE AND WA-LA--THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD.

Judy in Philly

VydorScope Proficient
Ok--so are all cooks still with me?????? :lol:

Hubby says, "are you still trying to cook that, You know it always tastes like saw dust"???? He's not a mean man REALLY just doesn't mince words :lol: and hate to admit he's RIGHT. IT DOES :rolleyes:

For those who have hung in there with this boring thread...

I've been in the process of organizing my kitchen for 6 months and it was done until i brought in all this flour and gluten-free cooking stuff. I'm happy to report...I have a shelf now for Just my cooking stuff. Think someone here said to keep the flours in the refrig and some said freezer... what do you think? I have in a big plasic bin in refrig so i can find it all easily.

Any help on the other ingred of this recipe will be appreciated by me and REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED BY MY DEAR HUBBY.

BUT A REALLY WONDERFUL SURPRISE...LET COOL ALITTLE AND WA-LA--THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD.

Judy in Philly

I always keep all flours/etc in freeze. Keeps the bugs away.:)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I always keep all flours/etc in freeze. Keeps the bugs away.:)

thanks Vincent--

Do you know the difference between 'sweet rice flour and rice flour'?

Judy

Let me know if you try it and use the correct ingred and directions how it comes out

judy

teebs in WV Apprentice

Judy,

You crack me up! I'm really tired, had a long day, and reading your posts made my day! :lol:

mookie03 Contributor

Well, Judy, u have officially scared me about my ability to make these!! :huh: You sound just like me in the kitchen, i have NEVER been a baker/chef etc. I grew up on take-out and have pretty much survived that way my whole life-- but thought these would be an interesting recipe to try... Now i am totally scared!!!

I have tried since going gluten-free to make more things at home, which is really hard given my busy lifestyle, but i think it just takes some work to get used to it...

as for the recipe, I am pretty sure any sugar is fine- the market that had the flyer is a health food kind of store (like a small version of whole foods) so thats probably why they say raw sugar. As for the crunchy peanut butter, i think that would just make it, well, more crunchy :) the flour question i cant answer, but i do think it would be fine...i think the weirdest thing is the time being so off-- could be a misprint in the recipe???

im glad they tasted ok after all that... nothing like a good challenge in the kitchen!!! :lol:

VydorScope Proficient

I pan to try this, but dont have indgredints right now. Need to make it EF too.

I am a darn good baker, so IM not afriad of muffins! :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I pan to try this, but dont have indgredints right now. Need to make it EF too.

I am a darn good baker, so IM not afriad of muffins! :D

You go Vincent...I'm glad someone can bake out there :lol:

I'm sorry for my ignorance--what is EF??? :blink:

Please educate me on some of this 'lingo'

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Well, Judy, u have officially scared me about my ability to make these!! :im glad they tasted ok after all that... nothing like a good challenge in the kitchen!!! :lol:

Hey, Mookie--''''''don't be afraid :ph34r:;) It was so easy and so good.

It was just that I wasn't organized but that's why I can't cook. I freak in the kitchen..I have ADD and can't focus very well and when i'm stressed I 'spin'

That being said, My husband would get all the ingred out and line them up in the order you use them and have the RIGHT pans 'even if he had to go out and buy them' :lol: Yes, he's a type A personality and very anal and FOCUSED...and I on the other hand....hmmmmm...am not :lol:

I am so used to working and multi tasking...that this being at home all the time since being on SSD for 4 years ---and he now having just retired and around the house all the time....is an adjustment...

well let's see-- we were talking about cooking === of yea, that's it :blink:

I know the problem was all those muffins were very close together in that 9x9 pan (only way they would stand up in the paper cups) and don't think they could cook as fast as if they were in muffin tins...so really...please try and let me know how your turn out.

They just sounded so good and actually, they were the best desert I've cooked.

My cookies still need work but the gluten-free brownies were good but again, used the wrong size pan and were uncooked as it warned don't over cook so didn't BUT being the frugal lady I am, cut them up and nuked in microwave as i wanted to eat them and they were great cookies...

Please try them and let me know. If mine were GOOD with all that baking soda, yours should be great.

Oh, I sprinkled some cinn/sugar like I put on toast and sprinkled that on top with some more pecans before baking and it made a crusty crunchy top to the muffin. I've had 3...now have to watch eating too many. :lol:

Judy

VydorScope Proficient
You go Vincent...I'm glad someone can bake out there :lol:

I'm sorry for my ignorance--what is EF??? :blink:

Please educate me on some of this 'lingo'

Judy

EF = Egg Free :D

jenvan Collaborator

ha ha judy--you're cracking me up :) there some difference btwn reg and sweet rice flour. i always mix the two, but use sweet rice for thickening sauces etc exlusively. i copied this from a website on flours: Rice flour: Ground from the whole grain. Sweet in flavor. Gluten-free. Brown rice flour is made from whole grain; white rice flour from debranned rice. Sweet rice flour is made from sweet rice, more starchy, a bit better at binding.

mookie03 Contributor

Jen- thanks for the explanation! do you think you can use brown rice flour instead of white? Or will that not taste as good (i have brown but not white in my house)...

Judy- u really crack me up. Seriously, my roommate's mother is obsessed w/ baking so my roommate is an expert- she made me the most amazing gluten-free choc chip cookies,but i am so not confident about my ability to make them on my own! :P

But i actually do have a muffin tin, so thats a start! I think it makes a huge difference to have the right pan, b/c if they actually look like what they are supposed to be, thats the first step ;)

Good for you for persevering though! I'm so glad that after all that, they were actually good!! Maybe ill make them for my book club next sunday!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
gluten-free choc chip cookies,but i am so not confident about my ability to make them on my own! :P

But i actually do have a muffin tin, so thats a start! I think it makes a huge difference to have the right pan, b/c if they actually look like what they are supposed to be, thats the first step ;)

Maybe ill make them for my book club next sunday!

HI

do you want to be addressed as mookie, stefi, or the non cook???

Yes, agree, the tins would make them look more like they are susposed to..My cookies did look wonderful but UCK. looks can be deceiving :lol:

Do I dare ask you to send the choc chip cookie recipe??

I have some posted from here but if these are that good...hummmm maybe i try the 3rd time.

Funny, I was thinking of using these and taking the plunge and hosting our book club...What book are your reading? We are reading "The Highest Tide" I had never heard of it.

Think I'll put a picture of my muffins on here so you can get some more laughs :lol:

Judy

jenvan Collaborator

Show me the muffins! :)

Stefi- Brown would work fine... I do think to get the best texture etc w/gluten-free baking, it is best to mix flours in each recipe. There are so many, but my easy staples are w. rice, b. rice, s. rice, tapicoa starch, potato starch, sorghum. (Millet, amaranth, nut flours I don't use as often). So, brown would be fine, but you may like it even better with a mix, say brown, sweet rice and tapioca. Let me know how it goes when you try! (I am a little surprised the recipe doesn't call for an xantham gum, but I admit, I am still a gluten-free baking novice, so perhaps it isn't needed...)

Cheri A Contributor

We are egg-free.... my favorite egg replacer is 1 1/2T oil, 1 1/2T water, 1 tsp. bkg powder mixed together is = 1 egg

so 3 T oil & water, 2 tsp. bkg. powder mixed together would be 2 eggs.

It doesn't work over 2 eggs though..

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
We are egg-free.... my favorite egg replacer is 1 1/2T oil, 1 1/2T water, 1 tsp. bkg powder mixed together is = 1 egg

Thanks Cheri- you guys know sooooo much, :P

Jen- If I post a picture...I'll make you eat one. :ph34r:

Judy

VydorScope Proficient

Thats what we normaly use to.

jenvan Collaborator

I'll eat it!

mookie03 Contributor

Judy- I keep laughing that you call me mookie, i chose it after the old met Mookie Wilson, who i clearly am nothing like, so it makes me laugh to see it :lol: But you can call me Stefi, of course! As for the recipe for the cookies, I will definitely get it from my roommate and post it- her mother (who as i said loves to bake) got it for her and it includes a mix of many different types of flour, as Jen suggested, but they really were good. Seriously, between the 2 of us (she is not a celiac), they disappeared in 2 days (there was enough for probably 2 weeks!)

For my book club we are reading "A million little pieces" - which i LOVED, though i know there is quite a bit of controversy around it right now! How is The highest Tide? I am always looking for new books to read!

Jen- i agree on the flours, and was actually thinking of mixing them, but i am always concerned, as a very new "baker"(if you can call me that), about modifying recipes. I mean, who am i to think i can make a recipe better than it already is?! The only thing i have mastered in the kitchen is pasta! :lol: i was surprised not to see xantham gum as well, i thought it was in every gluten free baked good!!

Archived