Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gum Base

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I am pretty new to all this, but I saw gum base listed on the forbidden ingrediants, but I have seen Wrigley's gum on safe lists, and it has gum base as an ingrediant (as I would assume all gum would). Not that gum is a huge issue, I just don't understand, this would be so much easier if there were clear lines to gluten-free or not!! Can anyone explain?

Michelle

Ads by Google:

Yes, I am also wondering about Gum Base. I have been following a gluten-free diet for almost 2 years now, but for the first year, I continued chewing Trident gum more often than any human probably should chew gum, but the intolerance symptoms seemed to stop completely even while I was still chewing gum. I also went to my co-op in search of some gluten-free gum & found Peelu gum which is labelled as specifically "Gluten-Free", but its first ingredient is Gum Base as well. I didn't try it because it was extremely expensive, but I am curious if most gum is ok?

If anyone knows, please post.

Gum base is on the avoid list, since not all gum bases are safe. You would need to check with manufacturers (or trust gluten-free lists) in order to know which gums are safe.

These are the ones I have listed as being gluten-free:

Beech-Nut Gum: Cinnamon 5-stick; peppermint; spearmint

Big League Chew Gum: Original; grape; strawberry

Bubble Yum: All flavors

Care Free Gum: Sugarless Only: bubble gum, cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint

Charms (800 877-7655): Blow Pops; Super Blow Pops

Dentyne Gums (Pfizer) (800 223-0182): All

Dubble Bubble: All

Fruit Stripe Gum: Bubble gum only

Trident Gums (Pfizer) (800 223-0182) (www.tridentgum.com): All

Wrigley's Gum, Wrigley (www.wrigley.com)

God bless,

Mariann

Thanks very much! I really appreciate the info.

Yikes ! I had no idea gum bases could have gluten in it. My son has a gum ball machine (the heavy duty ones that you get at Sam's club that they put in grocery stores etc...) he would be devastated if I had to tell him the gumballs have gluten in them :( , that's what he wanted for his 7th birthday. I guess I will try and find the gumballs that are gluten free ?

Lorraine

The gumballs might be safe, you would need to check with the manufacturer. My kids sometimes eat the gumballs from the big machines and have never had a problem.

God bless,

Mariann