This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Noisy Knees?

DonnaD

DonnaD Apprentice

Does anyone else have really loud crunching noise from their knees, worse going up stairs. I have had various different doctors tell me different things, from nitrogen (or hydrogen can't remember) bubbles to being un- fit (1 do 1/2 exercise a day), I can walk up stairs faster now but still sound like i'm 100!

I had similar noise from my neck for years before I actually started having chronic pain. I take flaxseed oil and lots of vitamins. My bone density scan was OK.

It doesn't hurt, just makes me get really tired walking up stairs, I'd just really like to know what causes it!

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

My knees sound like that sometimes too..

I hurt my knees playing soccer when I was younger and never had surgery (Celiac doesn;t help either -- joint pain)...

I think its pretty common....

jerseyangel Proficient

My knee cracks every single time I squat down.. It has for as long as I can remember. (I always make the 'I must be getting old' joke! Also, my big toe cracks every time I flex it.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
My knee cracks every single time I squat down.. It has for as long as I can remember. (I always make the 'I must be getting old' joke! Also, my big toe cracks every time I flex it.

Heck girl, at least you can 'squat' :lol:

I can't anymore so that's why I was so interested in your raised flower beds.

I have arthritis OA in both knees and they crack so loud it's embarrasing at time times. People can hear them. They also lock up where I've bent over to pick up something...I have to get 'in the strangest' positions to stand up and walk. :o Oh what a site that is.

Donna, I know this isn't a funny thing to you..I'm sorry your in pain. Have you had your knees x-rayed to see if it's OA? My hip used to do that before my replacement. They said the ball of the joint was in pieces..and It crunched so loud too.

After the hip, then the knee went... :rolleyes:

Do any OTC meds help?

My chiropractor sure helps me...Never used to believe in them. She's the one who helps me with my gluten-free issues.

Good luck. I'm anxious to see what others have to say on this topic.

Hang in there.

Judy

DonnaD Apprentice
Donna, I know this isn't a funny thing to you..I'm sorry your in pain. Have you had your knees x-rayed to see if it's OA? My hip used to do that before my replacement. They said the ball of the joint was in pieces..and It crunched so loud too.

Good luck. I'm anxious to see what others have to say on this topic.

Hang in there.

Judy

Judy

I havn't had then x-rayed yet, my rheumatologist sort of 'dismissed' it as irrelevant as he was more interested in the Fibro, hypermobile joints, shoulder impingement and tennis elbow at the time. Pain clinic were more interested in keeping me full of amytriptyine (+ 20lb) :angry: Physio just wanted to tell me off for poor back posture! I'v just had a bone scan, Tsh, glucose, fbc, folate B12, Esr etc etc all fine thank goodness. My knees were near the bottom of the list! I don't take OTC meds as my mainly neurological pain isn't really helped unles I take enough to kill an elephant! My knees don't really hurt that much, compared to my back and neck. I'm just aware that they feel like they need oiling. I suppose I will have to ask for an x-ray. Oh the joy (NOT) of yet another visit to the GP :lol:

thomas3000 Rookie

Research pyroluria since cracking knees is a main symptom of it. It means you're deficient in zinc, manganese, and something else.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Research pyroluria since cracking knees is a main symptom of it. It means you're deficient in zinc, manganese, and something else.

wow Thomas, now that's something I've never heard of. do you have that?

thanks

judy in Philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

I have this problem too - and I am only 24. My knees don't hurt per se, unless I've been glutened (joint pain is one symtpom for me). Its such a gross noise though, my mom has it too. A doc told her that it was calcium deposits (she developed the crunching knee noise after she became pregnant with me). My bone density test was normal. I work out every day, so I know its not caused by a lack of movement or fitness. I will have to research what Thomas mentioned and maybe get my knees x-rayed....I've never had that done.

My left ankle also frequently hurts, but a lot after a glutening. This isn't a sports injury b/c I have had it since high school. I wonder if these issues are related?

Something else - I know that psoriasis can cause a type of arthritis....I'm going to look that up again b/c its been a while, but I wonder if any of our noises/pains might be related to that?

thomas3000 Rookie

Pyroluria is a symptom of malabsorption. Cracking knees is a symptom and I'll run some others by you..It mainly means that your gut is damaged and can't absorb vitamin b6, zinc, and manganese. There are tests to see if there are high pyroles in your urine. But it all starts with gluten. Once the gut heals and you are supplementing this condition will disappear...Here are some questions...

Did you sunburn easily when you were young?

Poor dream recall?

Have you been anxious and fearful since childhood?

Do you get cluster headaches?

Are you sensitive to sunlight?

DO YOUR KNEES CRACK OR ACHE?

Are you anemic?

Do you have cold hands or feet?

Are you easily upset by criticism?

Do you have tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs and arms?

I honestly think that celiac can result in lots of conditions and this is one of them..I had eustachian tube malfunction along with nasty anxiety and depression. My family suffers from anxiety/depression and are on meds and they do help somewhat but don't get to the root cause(subclinical gluten intolerance)!! I hope this gets into the mainstream soon because people are suffering needlessly out there and if your on meds that contain gluten as a filler then they will cause further damage and open up the possibility of degenerative disease and accelerated aging as well as heart disease and cancer. GLUTEN SUCKS!!! I'm convinced that if we lived in a gluten free world we'd all live to be over 100 and we'd be healthy...The Standard American Diet is the number 1 killer along with cigarettes coming in a distant second... I pray that all of you get your health entirely back and look at this experience to help others, that's my mission anyway!!!God Bless all of you!!

nederlandse Newbie

Hmm that all sounds about right.... so what do i supliment with?

All my joints are cracking and kind of hurt. I've been on a b-complex and just started

potassium,magnesium,calcium

should i get a zinc and manganese? I was looking at suppliments for cartilage-problems but

i wasnt sure about it and it was pretty expensive.

Thanks

Pyroluria is a symptom of malabsorption. Cracking knees is a symptom and I'll run some others by you..It mainly means that your gut is damaged and can't absorb vitamin b6, zinc, and manganese. There are tests to see if there are high pyroles in your urine. But it all starts with gluten. Once the gut heals and you are supplementing this condition will disappear...Here are some questions...

Did you sunburn easily when you were young?

Poor dream recall?

Have you been anxious and fearful since childhood?

Do you get cluster headaches?

Are you sensitive to sunlight?

DO YOUR KNEES CRACK OR ACHE?

Are you anemic?

Do you have cold hands or feet?

Are you easily upset by criticism?

Do you have tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs and arms?

I honestly think that celiac can result in lots of conditions and this is one of them..I had eustachian tube malfunction along with nasty anxiety and depression. My family suffers from anxiety/depression and are on meds and they do help somewhat but don't get to the root cause(subclinical gluten intolerance)!! I hope this gets into the mainstream soon because people are suffering needlessly out there and if your on meds that contain gluten as a filler then they will cause further damage and open up the possibility of degenerative disease and accelerated aging as well as heart disease and cancer. GLUTEN SUCKS!!! I'm convinced that if we lived in a gluten free world we'd all live to be over 100 and we'd be healthy...The Standard American Diet is the number 1 killer along with cigarettes coming in a distant second... I pray that all of you get your health entirely back and look at this experience to help others, that's my mission anyway!!!God Bless all of you!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

depending on the exact noise, it could be a cartilage issue as well. I have chondromalacia patella, and may have had a meniscal tear. both of those cartilage issues can cause pain and a 'catching' feeling or noise. definitely find an osteo who just treats knees for an evaluation. if it's cartilage, they may need more than an x-ray, however.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Did you sunburn easily when you were young? -- yup

Poor dream recall? -- at times

Have you been anxious and fearful since childhood? -- yup

Do you get cluster headaches? - no

Are you sensitive to sunlight? -- yup

DO YOUR KNEES CRACK OR ACHE? - yup

Are you anemic? -- don't think so

Do you have cold hands or feet? -- yup

Are you easily upset by criticism? -- Absolutely

Do you have tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs and arms? - yup

Huh, I have like almost all of those things....I never would have thought they could all be related...weird

jerseyangel Proficient

Me too--I have all of the symptoms except the cluster headaches (Thank goodness!). I had anemia for years until just recently. The rest of them are to a T. I do take vit. B6--100mg/day. This is interesting....

DonnaD Apprentice
Me too--I have all of the symptoms except the cluster headaches (Thank goodness!). I had anemia for years until just recently. The rest of them are to a T. I do take vit. B6--100mg/day. This is interesting....

Interesting,

Did you sunburn easily when you were young? yes, I'v got very pale skin,still burn in 10 mins flat, also get a weird kind of 'prickly heat/urticaria on my upper chest. I did tan once (only a bit) in 17 days in thailand while still 'Atkins' dieting, no carbs/gluten & lots of fresh veg and seafood, I never understood why!Poor dream recall? Yes

Have you been anxious and fearful since childhood? A bitDo you get cluster headaches? No

Are you sensitive to sunlight? Yes, have to wear sunglasses even in winter.

DO YOUR KNEES CRACK OR ACHE? YES!!

Are you anemic? NoDo you have cold hands or feet? Yes, most of the time, especially if I don't take my kelp tablets and multi vits. and B5.Are you easily upset by criticism? somtimes

Do you have tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs and arms? occasionally

Do you have any links Thomas? I did google it but didn't find anything much about knees, more about seizures etc. I think I will look into testing if I can find a lab in the UK. I don't expect my doctor will know anything about it, nothing new there!

DonnaD Apprentice
depending on the exact noise, it could be a cartilage issue as well. I have chondromalacia patella, and may have had a meniscal tear. both of those cartilage issues can cause pain and a 'catching' feeling or noise. definitely find an osteo who just treats knees for an evaluation. if it's cartilage, they may need more than an x-ray, however.

Tiffany,

My older daughter (no celiac symptoms at all ) has mild chondromalacia patella in one knee after being hit by a car. her knees hurt and swell up occasionally, no noise and not the same as mine. I think you are right I should get them x-rayed. The problem with having so many symptoms/health issues is that the most acute get looked into as I can't ask for lots, and lots of different tests at once. :(

The doctors surgery is the only place I ever feel intimidated and like a hypercondriac! I have felt like this ever since being prescribed tranquilisers at 15 for my 'spastic colon'. I am only now getting more proactive about my own health.

Donna

bluelotus Contributor

Interesting Pyroluria symptom list, I think I answered yes to each one. Great.....one more thing to worry about. So, not sure what kind of knee problem we're talking about here - do most people's crack? Mine do occasionally when I squat, but I was talking about a crunching noise, most noticeable when I go up the stairs, and it is not painful.

DonnaD Apprentice
Interesting Pyroluria symptom list, I think I answered yes to each one. Great.....one more thing to worry about. So, not sure what kind of knee problem we're talking about here - do most people's crack? Mine do occasionally when I squat, but I was talking about a crunching noise, most noticeable when I go up the stairs, and it is not painful.

Yes exactly bluelotus, a LOUD crunching noise going upstairs, not painful but 'tiring'. My kids hate it!

Donna

mouse Enthusiast

I also think that I answered yes to every question. I used to have muscle spasms in my legs and feet so awful that I would wake up out of a sound sleep screaming. I would then rush to the freezer and grab the ice wraps I keep there and cry as I was wrapping them around the areas that were in spasm. Then I would have to try and walk the pain off. Sitting, just made it worse. About 20 minutes later the spasms would be gone. I had already connected it to celiac disease as I have not had these spasms since three months after going gluten free. The cluster migraines started in the late 70's after an injury to my tempral lobe. They call them suicide migraines for a reason. They decreased after I went through Menopause. But, I still can get a cluster of headaches (no wooden stake being driven into my eyeball anymore) at times and I will have to pay attention to see if that happens when I have been accidentally glutened. My knees used to make such horrendous noises when I would bend them that people would turn and look at me. I had been attributing it to my OA, since the noise left after I lost the 53 pounds. This disease sure likes to manifest itself in so many weird things, that it is no wonder that some doctors think we are nuts. We at least know we are not :lol: .

bluelotus Contributor
Yes exactly bluelotus, a LOUD crunching noise going upstairs, not painful but 'tiring'. My kids hate it!

Donna

My Mom's knees do the same thing, used to embarass me to no end when I was in middle and high school too......Teenagers :)

thomas3000 Rookie

I learned about this by researching..I read as many books I can about root causes of illness with gluten being underlying in MOST of these conditions. The hard part is finding the right doc to diagnose it. As far a pyroluria I read it in the book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. Unbelieveable book!! I have learned so much from my own research and schooling since my MD's didn't know anything about Gluten and how it can kill you eventually. The treatment for pyroluria is to supplement with b6, zinc, and manganese, but I caution you to get tested first...You don't want to created any new imbalances in the body. It is quite a common condition in alcoholics as well. Buy that book and apply it to your own health because it's a life saver and find a doctor who specializes in functional medicine. I'll be glad to refer you to docs in your area if you're interested...

bluelotus Contributor

Any docs in Atlanta, Thomas?

thomas3000 Rookie

I found 2 docs for you to choose from: Dr. Tom Grant DC (770) 719-1917 Fayetville GA and Dr. Henry Jacobs in Atlanta (404) 266-0386..

DonnaD Apprentice
I found 2 docs for you to choose from: Dr. Tom Grant DC (770) 719-1917 Fayetville GA and Dr. Henry Jacobs in Atlanta (404) 266-0386..

I'm in the Uk, functional doctors don't exist! I feel so much better on high dose supplements. I have Julia Ross's book the 'Diet Cure' and felt much better following her plan. I have ordered 'the Mood Cure' from Amazon.

Thanks Thomas!

Donna

bluelotus Contributor

Thanks, Thomas. I'll give them a call this coming week sometime! Can't wait to see if they can help me out.

thomas3000 Rookie

Donna,

Biohealth diagnostics works with people all over the world and I mean all over. They can send you test kits to look for root causes to symptoms. They can check every body system including, digestive, immune, hormonal and detoxification systems. They specialize in Celiac and subclinical gluten intolerance especially. There number is 1 800 570-2000...May u find peace and healing.

Archived