This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Paper Towels/plates

Guest Zmom

mommida Enthusiast

A very interesting post.

The glue on the roll would explain why your son (and any other Celiac child that age) would have a higher cross contamination from the rolls. Kids play with them constantly. We will only use wrapping paper rolls for all the cardboard fun from now on. Did you break down and buy the lightsaber yet?

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Zmom

I don't know if all glove powders have gluten. As for the "powder-free" it is not in the vinyl itself but the cross contamination within the manufacturing process. The supermarket gloves are of a much poorer quality than dentists/M.D.s. I think that medical grade gloves are manufactured with more attention to cross contamination as they are used in internally/in mouths . I will investigate this week and tell every one what I find out. most dentists now are aware of at least allergenic issues so I think their gloves are probably o.k. I am going to the dentist next week to have 6 metal fillings removed so I am more worried about the mercury. and I can't have the novacaine so I hope the ear acupuncture works again...

Merika Contributor

Whoa....now this I never thought about. Never thought about maxi pads either.....And what about toilet paper rolls? I ask, because I also have a 4 year old who thinks discarded paper rolls are the best thing since sliced rice bread (haha). :o

Merika

elfkin Contributor

Confirmed by phone that Charmin, Bounty, and Puffs paper products are gluten-free and there is no gluten in the adhesive they use on the rolls.

Having said that, I will add that this was after they sent me an absurd e-mail about having to have a Doc. mail them (on letterhead) the request for this info.

I called a number I looked up and really gave it to them on this. The lady on the phone was able to access the ingredients of the adhesive and even that it said it contained no gluten. Why could this not have been answered by my e-mail remains a mystery. The product is safe, if you want to use proctor and gamble after their insulting response to my (and others, apparantly) request.

lovegrov Collaborator

Paper products are just simply safe. If you're looing for gluten, look elsewhere.

richard

Guest Zmom
A very interesting post.

The glue on the roll would explain why your son (and any other Celiac child that age) would have a higher cross contamination from the rolls. Kids play with them constantly. We will only use wrapping paper rolls for all the cardboard fun from now on. Did you break down and buy the lightsaber yet?

Laura

Actually he has had 2 soft "real" lightsabers for over a year, got a "big kid" lightsaber for halloween and a make your own lightsabers kit for Christmas. He is just very creative.

Electra375 Newbie

Very interesting. I don't doubt the glue and gluten issue. I have never liked the feel of the last 2 towels on a roll they make my hands sticky!!! We use Bounty b/c we can get them at Costco and they are better than the Costco PT.

I've been using more PT to clean off counters b/c I didn't want to cross contaminate with a dish rag, you know wipe up a sandwich crummy mess and then just generally wipe down the table before we eat -- knowing that I can't get all the crumbs out of the little weaves of the dish rag. Plus all the wash if I were to use a clean 1 w/ each wipe like a PT -- well, I already do Cloth Diapers...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Zmom
Very interesting. I don't doubt the glue and gluten issue. I have never liked the feel of the last 2 towels on a roll they make my hands sticky!!! We use Bounty b/c we can get them at Costco and they are better than the Costco PT.

I've been using more PT to clean off counters b/c I didn't want to cross contaminate with a dish rag, you know wipe up a sandwich crummy mess and then just generally wipe down the table before we eat -- knowing that I can't get all the crumbs out of the little weaves of the dish rag. Plus all the wash if I were to use a clean 1 w/ each wipe like a PT -- well, I already do Cloth Diapers...

Last year when my husband was still eating gluten I got 2 sets of dish/bar towels one with stripes and 1 plain white. No matter what there is ALWAYS more laundry. :)

Nic Collaborator
this is in response to the Enterolab quote: I spoke to the lab after I got the new test results and since his numbers TRIPLED it is NOT the healing process "spike " that occurs.nor does my son have intestinal damage/severe malnutrition according to either test. There is no gluten (food) in my home,I work closely wih his pre-school and bring all his food. According to the person I talked to there would have to be a consistent exposure to gluten-not nessesarily in food for this to happen. My son has had Zero diarrhea for months. My son ,however, does have a lightsaber collection made from paper towel rolls. Since the Brawney rep. verified that there was definatly gluten on the rolls I am going to assume this is part of the problem. he is 4 and sometimes puts his hands in his mouth/nose. also when I called stop & shop market about Care One vinyl non-powdered gloves. They initially said no gluten but then the rep. called ME back and said they were not gluten free;which is what she was told by what ever dept. they get their info from.

I bring up the gloves because often customer service people often read from company statements Fortunatly she did a little research on her own.which is why I politely but firmly ask reps. if they could confirm that there is no gluten. Most are really nice and call me back.

Not trying to freak people out,not saying that this applies to all paper products. Seventh generation research the roll/ plates and said definately no gluten. Brawney happens to be the product I have always used.I eat the same diet as my son with the exception of coffee and gluten-free pasta sauce and my numbers went down almost to normal.So I really think the paper towels and gloves are PART of the problem. I am going thru the house room by room for possible gluten risks.

When you open a new roll of paper towels the first one or two stick because they don't want them to unravel. If you microwave with that paper towel or the last one on the roll that could get into the food if there is glu(e)ten present.

My son has been gluten free for since last May. In August his blood was tested again by a second opinion doctor. His blood levels were so high that it showed him as being actively sick with no improvement at all, even though he was strictly gluten free and getting better. While it was too soon for his levels to be completely normal, there should have been some improvement. The doctor then sent his blood to a special lab in Boston. The lab we originally used is the one my PPO says I have to use. The doctor told me that most labs, especially the one that I have to use, are not always well trained in this test due to the fact that it is not one of those test that are run often. He said that there are specific labs that specialize in these tests and when the results came back from Boston, they were much better. His levels were still high, as he was only Gluten free for a few months, but they were not as high as before. Thought this might be helpful.

Guest Zmom
My son has been gluten free for since last May. In August his blood was tested again by a second opinion doctor. His blood levels were so high that it showed him as being actively sick with no improvement at all, even though he was strictly gluten free and getting better. While it was too soon for his levels to be completely normal, there should have been some improvement. The doctor then sent his blood to a special lab in Boston. The lab we originally used is the one my PPO says I have to use. The doctor told me that most labs, especially the one that I have to use, are not always well trained in this test due to the fact that it is not one of those test that are run often. He said that there are specific labs that specialize in these tests and when the results came back from Boston, they were much better. His levels were still high, as he was only Gluten free for a few months, but they were not as high as before. Thought this might be helpful.

Thanks for writing. I use EnteroLab. They specialize in stool testing for Celiac disease. I have to pay for the tests out of pocket as the ones covered by our insurance were false negitive. Actually 2 of 5 were positive but I was told 3 of 5 were nessesary for a positive diagnosis. Quite silly. If I had not done further research on my own and found EnteroLab my son would still have chronic diarrhea,vomiting...

Electra375 Newbie
Actually 2 of 5 were positive but I was told 3 of 5 were nessesary for a positive diagnosis. Quite silly. If I had not done further research on my own and found EnteroLab my son would still have chronic diarrhea,vomiting...

My ds2 was 2 of the 5 positive plus IGA deficient which is why the other test were false negative. As I stated elsewhere the only positive dx as far as the Pedi GI is concerned is a postivie biopsy which at this point we are not doing b/c we went gluten-free immediately after the blood was drawn and we like what we see. The pediatrician totally over looked the IGA deficient issue as did the first Pedi GI. It was Dr. Fasano in MD that pointed out the IGA deficiency on the Prometheus lab reports! And he totally agrees that a gluten-free diet is the right choice for our son, while he would like a biospy he was not pushy at all.

So, if you are not happy w your doctor, find another one, keep looking until you have answers. I don't know what Lab is in Boston, but I've been told by 2 Pedi GIs that Prometheus and Mayo are the only 2 in the country worth sending Celiac Panel test to.

Rusla Enthusiast

The thing on dentists and gloves is that many dentists get their gloves from different places. My dentist has his vinyl gloves in a box and no powder, very similar to the ones I buy by the box.

The toilet paper issue would explain some weird glutenings for me. Now I don't use it to the end.

Guest Zmom
My ds2 was 2 of the 5 positive plus IGA deficient which is why the other test were false negative. As I stated elsewhere the only positive dx as far as the Pedi GI is concerned is a postivie biopsy which at this point we are not doing b/c we went gluten-free immediately after the blood was drawn and we like what we see. The pediatrician totally over looked the IGA deficient issue as did the first Pedi GI. It was Dr. Fasano in MD that pointed out the IGA deficiency on the Prometheus lab reports! And he totally agrees that a gluten-free diet is the right choice for our son, while he would like a biospy he was not pushy at all.

So, if you are not happy w your doctor, find another one, keep looking until you have answers. I don't know what Lab is in Boston, but I've been told by 2 Pedi GIs that Prometheus and Mayo are the only 2 in the country worth sending Celiac Panel test to.

He has a new pediatrcian who is at least open minded. My son has a new patient visit in a couple of weeks. We saw her once already (sore throat) so we did not get into C.D issues in detail. Since our insurance changed we have to change our allergy Dr. too. Have not found a competent GI. Will see what happens with the other two. My son's health/energy/moods have improved so much over the past year that we were really shocked by those results after a year on a gluten-free diet.(same as me) which is how this thread started. finding hidden sources of gluten.

Guest Zmom

Back to paper products and gloves. Really like the seventh generation paper products. The pt are not glued to the roll and they do not use bleach to whiteten their products As for gloves I spent 3 1/2 hours in the dentist chair getting all my metal fillings removed ( (A few were cracked and all over 20 years old). Anyway I had no adverse reations to those gloves and the dentist gave me a photocopy of the box. They were not latex or vinyl. Will get the info on them but I am sure they are fine. Its just a matter of calling (or e-mail) companies if you have a doubt. I am going to ask the dentist if I can buy a couple of boxes after I call. I wish I could find a M.D. as open minded and competant. -I also wish this site had a spell checker...

Archived