This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finding A Doctor

FairySprinkle

FairySprinkle Rookie

Hello, I may not have celiac disease, but I do notice that I may be allergic to gluten. If you look in DH category in the forum or through my profile and check my post, why I believe that gluten is causing my bad acne. I am not so sure about getting a test done because I don't know if anything will come out of the test especially if all I see is bad acne when I eat certain foods or put stuff on my face. I know there's something wrong with certain foods I eat like the cracker that has barley malt and wheat. I am sure soup has gluten, and I have found some give me about 5 huge bad pus-filled acne greeting me in the morning mirror. They are extremelly embarrassing. My hair can be pretty frizzy and sometimes limp-no volume, and so I wonder if I stopped eating them, if my hair might grow more healthier? I have back zits and chest with some clooged pores. I am pretty sure there's something in the food because as I ate crackers the other day and the day before that, I got acne near my ear, and that's not common at all. They are pus-filled.

Do you think I should get a test? Will it show up on a test if I am allergic to them?

I am really new to the topic of gluten and celiac disease, so if anyone has a good book I can read about how to avoid them, I'd like to find out.

Is there a book or booklet of ingredients to watch out for when looking for gluten things that I can carry with me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

We carry the Gluten-Free Bible with us when we go shopping. My husband also printed out the Delphi list -- it's REALLY lengthy, though, and we just got it, but we plan on taking it on "long" shopping trips. With regard to the break-outs you're having, a good dermatologist can biopsy them and let you know if it is Dermatitis Herpatiformis -- another gluten intolerance ramification. It sounds, though, like you already know the triggers. I would certainly tell the doctor about those. Good luck with your journey . . . . Lynne

SurreyGirl Rookie
Is there a book or booklet of ingredients to watch out for when looking for gluten things that I can carry with me?

Hi FS, have a look at Loren Cordain's research literature. He has papers on acne as well as other gluten-related issues, papers 2, 11, 26 but others too. He has recently presented his acne findings at the deramtology conference in London.

Open Original Shared Link

FairySprinkle Rookie

Hi, thank you for the link.

I will do what I can to test the gluten levels, etc. I am not sure where I would find a good dermatologist who will see acne as DH because they don't look like blisters. However, I am seeing a patter from a picture and someone here who says that she gets DH around her mouth like I do as well I see that it runs under my chin. Normally, I don't get bumps under my chin.

Rusla Enthusiast

Have them do a skin biopsy, I forced them to do one on me. It came back as DH and if you have DH you are Celiac. Not all celiacs get it but only Celiacs get it. Getting the skin biopsy saved me going through a stomach biopsy.

slpinsd Contributor
Have them do a skin biopsy, I forced them to do one on me. It came back as DH and if you have DH you are Celiac. Not all celiacs get it but only Celiacs get it. Getting the skin biopsy saved me going through a stomach biopsy.

yes, i would look into seeing a good dermatologist.

FairySprinkle Rookie

My derm takes 3 months to see. I'll see if I can contact a different dermatologist. How is a biopsy done? Does it hurt? Do you have to have skin bumps present in order to have a biopsy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

It doesn't hurt. They scrape off some of the skin that is dry scaley by the sores. The freaking affliction hurts more than the biopsy. I had to go back on gluten for a week just so I would have an huge outbreak. My dh can show up in a few hours with even a slight glutening.

The dermatologist was not going to do it because it wasn't in the "normal" place. I told him to humor me and do it for my peace of mind. He was surprised because he thought all Celiacs were thin and all DH was elbows and knees.

FairySprinkle Rookie

Thanks. I am going to start calling when my insurance kicks in in a few weeks or less.

Archived