This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candies

willamina

willamina Apprentice

Does anyone know whether Peanut M&Ms have gluten? What are some gluten safe sweets we can have on occassion?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

M&M's (800.551.0702) (vp=09/24/02)

The following are gluten-free: Snickers (except mini's in Canada); Skittles; Starburst; Dove (milk & dark choc); Mars Almond Bar; 3Musketeers; MilkyWay Midnight (all other MilkyWay's are not gluten-free). All mini versions of the above are gluten-free except Snickers in Canada). (vp=12/12/02: All M&Ms are gluten-free EXCEPT the “crispy” blue bag version)

They wouldn't give permission to reprint the whole list....but, you can view it at:

Open Original Shared Link

It shows dates verified, and company phone numbers, too.

It's message # 27216.1

You may have to join the site, or something... but, it is a good celiac message board.

Connie

Or, I can email it to you.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Go ahead and enjoy your Peanut M&M's. All M&M's are gluten-free EXCEPT for the Crispy(in the blue package).

There are actually quite a few candies that we can enjoy :D

Here is a list that was printed on a yahoo group that I belong to for halloween:

Gluten-Free

Trick or Treating for 2003

(This list is for reference only and the user should contact manufacturers directly. It is a guideline and the user accepts full responsibility for use of it. At the time of it

• 1 month later...
sweetie101282 Apprentice

Hi, just a couple of questions about your gluten-free candy list:

1) I've heard that 3 Musketeers bars aren't gluten-free

2) Why can't we have Hershey Hugs?? (if they aren't it might explain why i've been having symptoms lately).

Thanks a lot!

Amy B)

• 2 weeks later...
gf4life Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I found another gluten-free candy! :D They are called Goldenberg's Peanut Chews (Original) and they are really yummy. Nothing on the label would indicate any gluten or dairy(except the Kosher symbol said dairy!?), but I e-mailed just in case. And this was their response. I am very sensitive to dairy and I don't think there is much contamination, since I am remaining symptom free! :) They are a chocolate covered molassas nougat filled with peanuts. If you like Bit-O-Honey, these are even better! I buy mine at my local Rite Aid Pharmacy.

Thank you for your recent email.  In April 2003, Goldenberg Candy Company was acquired by Just Born, Inc., makers of Mike and Ike, Hot Tamales, Zours, Marshmallow Peeps and Teenee Beanee Jelly Beans.  Peanut Chews will continue to be manufactured in Philadelphia using the original family recipe.  However, all consumer inquiries are now being handled by Just Born on behalf of Goldenberg Candy Company.  We are all very excited about this collaboration and we are thrilled to share the news with you, our valued consumer.

We strive to be aware of issues related to food allergies and sensitivities, and are happy to provide as much information as possible to allow consumers to make informed decisions about the products they eat.  Our Peanut Chews do not contain wheat, rye, barley or oats and to the best of our knowledge, they are gluten-free.

There are no dairy products in Original Peanut Chews.  However, they are manufactured on the same equipment as Milk Chocolately Peanut Chews, which have nonfat dry milk as an ingredient in the coating only.  We have procedures in place to clean the equipment in between production runs of the different products.

Again, thank you for your taking the time to contact us; we hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Martha A. Larkin

Just Born, Inc.

Consumer Relations Department

God bless,

Mariann

tammy Community Regular

Glutano makes a great alternative to the Kit Kat Bar.

Great!!!

• 4 months later...
lisabarella Apprentice

Are peanut and almond M&M's gluten free? I can't seem to get a response from the company!

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

While we're on the topic of sweets/candy, does anyone know a source/brand of gluten free/dairy free chocolate? Being casein as well as gluten intolerant kinda eliminates all my favorite milk chocolate treats. :( I suspect even dark chocolate has some milk product. Are there any nondairy chocolates out there? Where can I get those, if they exist?

BURDEE

flagbabyds Collaborator

Thanks so much for that list! i am running the kids portion of our celiac conference and it is the day before halloween and it is going to be a candy themed and I was looking for a list just like that! THANKS!!!

Molly-

What kind of conference are you helping with? That is very exciting :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

PS there is also a good candy list in the CSA book

tarnalberry Community Regular

Tropical Source chocolate is gluten and dairy free, made on dedicated lines.

Open Original Shared Link

flagbabyds Collaborator

I'm running the kids program @ the stanford celiac conference

lovegrov Collaborator

The only M&Ms to avoid are the crispy ones.

Scharffen Berger chocolate is gluten-free and dairy free although they warn that some products wrapped off-site have a slight chance of trace dairy. www.scharffenberger.com

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks, Tiffany. You just helped me renew my membership in "chocoholics anonymous"!!! :lol: When my Enterolabs test said no gluten/no dairy, I thought I would have to give up all chocolate--I'm a Dove chocolate and Dove bar freak. :( Thanks to you I found that Tropical Source has dark chocolate bars (there's other flavors with nuts, but I'm a purist, preferring chocolate or coffee in my chocolate) and dark roast expresso chocolate chips (inspiring my baking creativity already) available at Whole Foods (within walking distance from my house). Thanks sooo much. :D

BURDEE

tarnalberry Community Regular

lol :-) you're welcome. i used to hate dark chocolate, and am pretty picky about the quality, and was quite surprised to find it fairly high quality! (the scherfe... (can't remember it for the life of me...) stuff is pretty good too, but I prefer tropical source.

flagbabyds Collaborator
Do Topps candy and gum products contain any allergens?

All of our products are free of peanuts and gluten.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I was wondering if there are any sugar and gluten free candies that people like because we have a lot of diabetics comiong to the conference and we wanted so candies that they could eat as well.

tgcatmr Rookie

I noticed that Chunky candy bars are on the list as being gluten-free. I used to love those but I read on the label something to the effect "processed on equipment that also processes nuts and wheat," so I have been avoiding these. Did anyone else notice this or am I depriving myself for nothing? Maybe i should look again?

• 3 months later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

3 Musketeers aren't gluten-free? :o Can somebody please tell me if that is correct or not? I'm starting to panic!!!!!!!!!! :o:(:unsure:

celiac3270 Collaborator

I should mention, if someone knows, please send a PM or e-mail, as well.......I'm just going crazy to think that I might've screwed it up after 8 months of toiling to feel better -- I just can't be set back by an accident! :unsure: Thanks......I've sent out e-mails to all the companies, already ;)

celiac3270-

As far as I know 3 Musketeers are gluten-free. Milky Ways' are not and they are similiar to the 3 musketeers. (Milky Way Dark ARE gluten-free however). Anyways, I eat 3 musketeers with no issues and the labels seem just fine. Stop panic ing.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator

Phewf....... :) thank you. I thought that they were, but I got scared when I read that since I had never called the company. I knew about Milky Ways and the dark chocolate. Thank you :D

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hahaha, I was all worried about you celiac3270!

Archived