This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doing Better

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

Hello,

Sorry, I haven't been in touch the last couple weeks, just been a crazy busy time. But, I think we are doing better. She stopped eating all forms of dairy and she is going to the bathroom (BM) more regular, several times a week now, instead of once every 7-10 days.

She is somewhat down because she really enjoyed eating the rice cheeses and yogurts, and it just takes that much more out of her diet.

Do you know of any cheese that is dairy/casein and soy free? If someone knows of something, please give me a company name or e-mail address. Her birthday is coming up this month (the big 40) and I could order some for her. We are going to order some breads from KinnickKinnick - which ones are the best?

Also, this is kinda a stupid embarrassing thing, but is there any way to retrain a body to go to the bathroom in the morning?

Again, thanks for all your advice.

Mr. Bambam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Follow Your Heart makes a casein free cheese, but it's made from soy, as are the other two I've heard of. You can try making rice milk yogurt, though I'm not sure of the exact process because I haven't tried it yet.

Rusla Enthusiast

I have not found a soy cheese yet that is casein free. However, look for hard cheddar goat cheeses. I have managed to get some that is casein free.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Re: Training yourself to go to the bathroom in the morning - Just sit there. Until you go. Even if it takes 20 minutes. Every day. Until it becomes natural to go after breakfast.

You're right, this is kind of an embarassing topic, but I had to train myself to do this in college because otherwise I'd literally never find time to go. And then all of a sudden I would have been holding it for 4 days and it was just not a good situation.

Patience, my friend :)

P.S. It just occurred to me that you'd have to have digestive problems to appreciate getting cheese for your birthday! :D

Nancym Enthusiast

I make non-milk yogurts. Its fun. :) I use coconut milk and sometimes fruit. If I don't use the fruit, I add a little honey for the bacteria to eat. Basically you do it just like regular yogurt except if you want it to be firm you will have to add some gelatin (or pectin, I hear pectin is prefered) about 1 pkg of gelatin works for about a quart of yogurt. If you don't mind having yogurt that is the consistency of kefir, you can leave out the gelatin. It does make great smoothies! I just buy regular yogurt starter (they all seem to have some milk in them unfortunately) and go from there.

But the basic premise is to kill any beasties in your yogurt medium. Let it cool to about 100-110. Add in your yogurt beasties and make sure they have something to eat (lactose if you're using milk, some sort of sugar or honey or fruit sugars if you aren't). Let them do their job for up to 24 hours (the longer you wait the more sugars they eat and the more bacteria you'll have).

If you're adding in gelatin you should put a little water in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top until it has absorbed the water. Then stir it into the hot medium. It'll set up when you refrigerate it.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I just buy regular yogurt starter (they all seem to have some milk in them unfortunately) and go from there.

That's the big problem though - the starters have dairy. Someone posted a link to a starter without dairy for me a few months ago - with some patience and a good search, you might be able to find it.

Felidae Enthusiast
I have not found a soy cheese yet that is casein free. However, look for hard cheddar goat cheeses. I have managed to get some that is casein free.

I could be wrong, but didn't you post that Tofutti brand soy cheese was casein and gluten free? I was just wondering because I bought some today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Actually you are right, their cheese is supposed to be. However, I can't buy it anywhere in this city and so far none of the stores will bring it in. Hopefully when Planet Organic opens a store near me, I will see what they do for me. Until the only thing I can get is goat cheese.

I should have elaborated and said, "I have not been able to find any in this city so far." I don't know if other stores in Canada carry it or not.

Felidae Enthusiast

Sorry, I was just making sure for my own selfish reasons. I bought it at Save-On Foods. I've been wary because it contains maltodextrin, which I'm not sure if I react to or not. It's the weekend, if I am brave I will try it.

debmidge Rising Star

Glad to hear she's doing better. Your first posts were very worrisome.

Best wishes,

D.

Rusla Enthusiast
Sorry, I was just making sure for my own selfish reasons. I bought it at Save-On Foods. I've been wary because it contains maltodextrin, which I'm not sure if I react to or not. It's the weekend, if I am brave I will try it.

Maltodextrin is okay. Let me know how it tastes. Maybe I will sneak down to the US this year and buy bigger bra's so I can stuff them with Tofutti Cheese and get them across the border... :lol:

Where in Canada do you live, maybe I can go over there and get some. We don't have a save-on in Calgary that I know of.

Felidae Enthusiast
Where in Canada do you live, maybe I can go over there and get some. We don't have a save-on in Calgary that I know of.

I'm in Edmonton. You are right Calgary doesn't have any Save-On Foods. Man, I am going to have to think twice about moving back down south. I rely on Save-On for so many of my gluten-free foods. But you guys have CO-OP which we don't have up here.

Okay, I just tried a couple of bites and it is disgusting. Tastes are personal, but that was gross. You are not missing anything. That was a waste of money. Oh well.

Rusla Enthusiast
I'm in Edmonton. You are right Calgary doesn't have any Save-On Foods. Man, I am going to have to think twice about moving back down south. I rely on Save-On for so many of my gluten-free foods. But you guys have CO-OP which we don't have up here.

Okay, I just tried a couple of bites and it is disgusting. Tastes are personal, but that was gross. You are not missing anything. That was a waste of money. Oh well.

I have been tho co-op and they have pretty well nothing. It is just dreadful. I either have to go to Safeway in Market Mall for the little bit they have or the health food stores, like Amaranth.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

A month or so ago I tried to make yogurt with rice milk and probiotics but it didn't work. I used to make organic cow's milk yogurt all the time before my dd had to go casein free. I haven't done much research yet but I want to find out more on freeze dried yogurt starters. I know there are several brands of starters but I don't know if they're casein free. I've also found links on making cheese using the yogurt starter as well.

Cheese and yogurt are one thing that my dd really misses.

Re: Training yourself to go to the bathroom in the morning - Just sit there. Until you go. Even if it takes 20 minutes. Every day. Until it becomes natural to go after breakfast.

You're right, this is kind of an embarassing topic, but I had to train myself to do this in college because otherwise I'd literally never find time to go. And then all of a sudden I would have been holding it for 4 days and it was just not a good situation.

My dd Dr. was just talking about this the other day. He suggested taking her to try to go 20 min/or shortly after breakfast and 20 min/or shortly after dinner. Her Dr. said is wouldn't take long until she got back in the habit...and it hasn't! :)

jenvan Collaborator

Mr. Bam Bam :)

So so glad to hear Bernadette is doing better!! It seems like dairy may definitely be one of the offenders for her. I understand missing cheese, I miss it more than gluten really. Is she eating rice milk now?

My fav Kinnikinnick bread is Italian White Tapioca. Her 40th! Have you thought about making her a gluten-free/cf cake? I could help you figure out how to do that if you like. There are some good cakes and casein free frostings out there!

As for retraining, I think I tried to answer this once before, but didn't have too much advice... I would not say sit on the toliet till you go, simply b/c it can contribute or lead to hemmroids, which with Bern's history, is already high. My one suggestion is a routine, which works for many people. Having the same morning routine, eat, read the paper etc, whatever. Coffee also makes many people go. I don't drink coffee, but my dh relies on it to help him "get moving" in the morning. I also still offer up the psyllium :)

I don't know of a cf/gluten-free/sf "cheese." For those who can have the soy, there is the Vegan, Galaxy foods brand, which is gluten-free/cf. It comes in a purple package, ck out here: Open Original Shared Link Unfortunately I have never heard of a cheese free from casein, soy and gluten...

Keep us updated, tell her hi, and let me know if you're interested in a cake! So so glad she has improved!

BamBam Community Regular

So so glad to hear Bernadette is doing better!! It seems like dairy may definitely be one of the offenders for her. I understand missing cheese, I miss it more than gluten really. Is she eating rice milk now?

My fav Kinnikinnick bread is Italian White Tapioca. Her 40th! Have you thought about making her a gluten-free/cf cake? I could help you figure out how to do that if you like. There are some good cakes and casein free frostings out there!

As for retraining, I think I tried to answer this once before, but didn't have too much advice... I would not say sit on the toliet till you go, simply b/c it can contribute or lead to hemmroids, which with Bern's history, is already high. My one suggestion is a routine, which works for many people. Having the same morning routine, eat, read the paper etc, whatever. Coffee also makes many people go. I don't drink coffee, but my dh relies on it to help him "get moving" in the morning. I also still offer up the psyllium :)

I don't know of a cf/gluten-free/sf "cheese." For those who can have the soy, there is the Vegan, Galaxy foods brand, which is gluten-free/cf. It comes in a purple package, ck out here: Open Original Shared Link Unfortunately I have never heard of a cheese free from casein, soy and gluten...

Keep us updated, tell her hi, and let me know if you're interested in a cake! So so glad she has improved!

JENVAN

I WOULD LOVE SOME HELP MAKING HER A CAKE!!!!! BUT IT IS PROBABLY TOO LATE TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM A BUSINESS.

We did order some bread from Kinnickkinnick - I think we got white sandwich bread, Italian white sandwich bread and the dark bread, some donuts and cookies as a treat. They only charge a flat $10.00 shipping so it is great to order a bigger batch of stuff.

BamBam Community Regular

sHE IS DRINKING rICE mILK - THE HEALTH FOOD STORE HAS been really good to us lately. He ordered a whole case of the Lundenberg brand. We are still finishing the Pacific Brand that we ordered from another town. She says it wasn't bad, but only has it on cereal, she doesn't drink it like she would milk, it is a bit expensive.

BamBam Community Regular

one last thing - I got to get back to work.

Regarding the bathroom thing - Bernadette doesn't get up until she absolutely has to whether she is still too tired or is still part of the depression issue, not sure. I am a believer that if she would get up earlier, and move around some, drink some coffee, even exsercise a little bit she probably would get even more regualar, but that won't happen right away. We will work on that in time.

You guys, thanks for all your thoughts, concerns, prayers. I think we are on the road to recovery on both sides - the bathroom issue and the depression issue. I now understnad how important this message board is to her, I don't know what we would do without you guys. An early Valentine's Day wish - hugs and kisses to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

jenvan Collaborator

Well, I'm not sure what you've got at home to work with. But here are two gluten-free/cf frosting recipes below.

Go here to see a white cake recipe, you could you whatever gluten-free flours you prefer for the mix: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-02106590799.ad

If you did have some time to order a mix, here are some mixes. Maybe she would take late cake to cheer her spirits? (Or maybe a Valentine's Day cake??) :D

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link free.com/glu/showdetl.cfm...ID=1474&CATID=1

For Creamy White Frosting:

3 Cups Powdered Sugar

1/3 Cup All Natural Shortening

1/4 Cup Milk (dairy, soy or rice)

1/2 teaspoon clear Vanilla Extract

Mix sugar and shortening in medium bowl with a spoon or an electric mixer on low speed.

Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Add additional milk a few drops at a time if the frosting isn't spreadable. Makes 2 cups.

Also, go here to see a recipe for another gluten-free/cf frosting: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-38106528399.43

Glad you were able to order from Kinnikinnick! And glad your health food store is being helpful... Keep me up on her progress, let me know how her b-day goes :)

Archived