This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gerd !

Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky Collaborator
:(:(:(:(:( Help. GERD IS AWFUL!~~~ :(:(:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I know I should know this but...what is GERD? :ph34r:

chrissy Collaborator

gastroesophageal reflux disease.

christine

Jnkmnky Collaborator
:( Four days ago I developed "asthma" just like that and out of the blue. Then I had chest pain and trouble breathing. They said it was heartburn. It's 24 hours a day, awful awful awful burping, chest pain, sour stomach, nausea, breath, burning back of the mouth. Never ends! I know I'm a big baby for whining 4 days into it, but I think it's going to last forever. My dr prescribed prilosec otc but I read you can get joint pain from that... I have a significant history with joint pain brought on by prescription meds. I don't want to risk it. So I'm agreeing to take the pepcid prescription strenght. But I won't take the advair he prescribed me. I just am too afraid of drugs as a result of xanax causing me so much misery in the form of JOINT PAIN. The internet says there's no cure for gerd... But is there? Anyone have advice? I'm so unhappy right now. THere needs to be an icon crying big fat tears. :(:(:(
Rachel--24 Collaborator
gastroesophageal reflux disease.

christine

Ooohhh....ok. Thanks. :)

key Contributor

I started getting this all of the sudden too. Never had it before, minus my first trimester of pregnancy and only with my first child. TUms helped me then, but now they aren't gluten-free.

I have taken Tagemet and it doesn't really do much. I do find that if I don't drink any coffee I am better off. I like you though am extremally miserable and I don't know how people deal with this. I know I should never ever have another cup of coffee, but it really sucks. I am vegetarian, can't eat wheat and now caffeine and on top of that I don't think I am tolerating dairy either. I am really frustrated with my digestive system. It is going haywire! I am having a pitty party for myself today too. Plus on top of that, I am having C, from being gluttened last weekend. AT least I hope that is what it is. I eat VERY healthy and shouldn't have this problem.

I would LOVE to eat what I want without giving it a further thought, then getting it into my mouth. I swear sometimes I am going to starve to death and there will actually be nothing left for me to eat! Sometimes I think I would feel better if I just quit eating. I continue to lose weight, because it seems everything makes me sick. UGH!

Ok, thanks for allowing me to have a pitty party! I haven't gone the prescription route yet ,but am considering going to the doctor soon about it. I hate meds though and want to figure out why I have this so bad all of the sudden. I am wondering if it is from the gluten two weekends in a row.

HOpe you feel better. I think I would try and elimate the foods you think may be bothering and I don't know about taking the meds. All meds have some warning about side effects. I guess you have to do what is best for you though.

Hope you feel better soon.

Monica

jerseyangel Proficient

I haven't been Dx with this, but I think I may have it...my Dr. (GI) said it was gas, and I should use Phazyme. I have actually found that digestive enzymes seem to help. The symptoms I have are--upper ab. gas that seems to be trapped in the area from the botton of my ribcage on one side to the same place on the other. The pressure will go up the middle of my chest, and I also feel the pressure at the base of my throat. This pressure causes palpitations and belching (which seems to come out of nowhere--never belched before this). I've been getting this since mid. Dec. The Phazyme, which I have only used once, seems to move the gas around a little--and giving some relief, also. Like I said, I don't know if this is what you are refering to--are these the same types of symptoms you get?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator
I haven't been Dx with this, but I think I may have it...my Dr. (GI) said it was gas, and I should use Phazyme. I have actually found that digestive enzymes seem to help. The symptoms I have are--upper ab. gas that seems to be trapped in the area from the botton of my ribcage on one side to the same place on the other. The pressure will go up the middle of my chest, and I also feel the pressure at the base of my throat. This pressure causes palpitations and belching (which seems to come out of nowhere--never belched before this). I've been getting this since mid. Dec. The Phazyme, which I have only used once, seems to move the gas around a little--and giving some relief, also. Like I said, I don't know if this is what you are refering to--are these the same types of symptoms you get?

Where can I get digestive enzymes? are they working? I'm scared about this feeling like acid is in my mouth and throat all the time. It's got to be so bad for me. I can hardly eat. I feel so sick. It was just there in one day. How does that happen?

I'm sorry to you and monica that you have this as well. It's scary. My tounge burns from the acid. I think I'm losing my voice already. It's so strong. ANyone consider surgery? Have it? Please talk with me. I'm so unhappy right now.

jerseyangel Proficient

I get the acid in my mouth and throat, too. Nice of the Dr. to pass it off as just gas...Anyway, you sound miserable :( . I get my digestive enzymes at Whole Foods--I get their brand and it works as good as any I've tried. Says gluten-free on the label, too. Any health food store would have the enzymes. Not all are gluten-free, though. Also, if you also have the pressure, you could try the Phazyme--just get the softgels. I checked with the Co. before I bought them--the quick-disolve tablets have a small amount of gluten in them. I take the enzymes during a meal--that's the best time to take them for digestion. Also, if you aren't already, it helps me to drink a lot of pure water. People make the mistake sometimes of using antiacids--the problem frequently is lack of acid--that's why the enzymes are a better way to start. Hope you get some relief soon :) .

marciab Enthusiast

Over a period of two years, my GI doc had me try all the meds, but I either had adverse reactions to them or they didn't work. Protonix caused "D", Nexium caused "C", etc. So I had to eliminate the foods that were causing it. I've figured out that coffee, tea, all fried foods, acidic foods, and chocolate give me reflux, heartburn, and acid indigestion. It's weird because chocolate didn't affect me until day 3 of the chocolate challenge, but then took about a week to get rid of the GERD.

If I eat only bland, easy to digest foods and small meals the symptoms go away immediately, but will come back if I try adding a risky food (like Barbara's potato chips - yum) back too soon. It is taking 3 days and sometimes up to one week at this point to settle my stomach back down. Potatoes, rice, millet, applesauce, plain veggies and non-acidic fruit work well for me. And lots of water.

Good luck ... Marcia

Jnkmnky Collaborator

anyone try apple cider vinegar and honey? :(:(:(:(:(

bklyn Enthusiast

Marciab - Interesting that you get relief from potatoes, rice, etc., I've been reading a forum for GERD and several people advise a low carb diet, the opposite of what your're eating. Any advice?

Jnkmnky - apple cider vinegar - I'm afraid to eat any vinegar right now because of my stomach pain and nausea - how would that help?

Thanks

chrissy Collaborator

Jnkmnky---i had gerd for about 12 years----horrible pain in my chest that would go up my neck and even made my teeth hurt. i don't take meds anymore because i couldn't afford them. i still have a little trouble if i eat alot of junk food. my twins both havae reflux and are on prevacid. my baby had the surgery, a fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair, when she was almost 10 months old. her gerd was gone instantly.

christine

Jnkmnky Collaborator

It's going on all waking hours. Last week out of the blue, I was dx with asthma. I was having chest pain so I thought it was due to the asthma.. THen I suddenly had this GERD. The dr decided my asthma was due to the GERD and not an independent asthma. I'm so upset. I'm feeling better today, knowing I'm not alone, praying a lot, asking friends to pray for me and eating this honey and apple cider vinegar . Google acv for reflux for a better explanation than I'm capable of. I quit coffee yesterday, have a headache all day yesterday and today. Hardly eating because of the nausea. I'm sad because I don't want something that will change how I parent daily. To be in constant pain/discomfort/nauseous/ breathing problems.... How can I live happily that way? How can I be a great parent that way? I love my life just the way it was. All the typical minor health issues. I'm so upset right now. Anyone do the surgeries? Have opinions? The one called Bard endocinch? or Stretta suturing? Please let me know. :(

key Contributor

ARe you eating gluten-free? Is the nausea from the GERD. I haven't been diagnosed with GERD. Mine I guess is heartburn. Well, it is mainly just burning in my throat. Anyway, It isn't everyday for me, but I do think not drinking caffeine should help some. I don't know. If you are truelly miserable, then I guess surgery is an option. I am a mom to three boys ages 2-6 and I know how hard it is to do a good job when you feel so aweful. I have been there. It will get better.

Monica

EmilyLMT Rookie

A natural form of medication is Ginger Root. I haven't tried this, but my good friend uses it often for her reflux. She gets it in pill form from the Heath Food Store.

Emily

tiffjake Enthusiast
:( Four days ago I developed "asthma" just like that and out of the blue. Then I had chest pain and trouble breathing. They said it was heartburn. It's 24 hours a day, awful awful awful burping, chest pain, sour stomach, nausea, breath, burning back of the mouth. Never ends! I know I'm a big baby for whining 4 days into it, but I think it's going to last forever. My dr prescribed prilosec otc but I read you can get joint pain from that... I have a significant history with joint pain brought on by prescription meds. I don't want to risk it. So I'm agreeing to take the pepcid prescription strenght. But I won't take the advair he prescribed me. I just am too afraid of drugs as a result of xanax causing me so much misery in the form of JOINT PAIN. The internet says there's no cure for gerd... But is there? Anyone have advice? I'm so unhappy right now. THere needs to be an icon crying big fat tears. :(:(:(

I developed really bad GERD which is what lead me to look for food allergies or intolerences. My doc said that it was something I was eating like tomatoes or spicey foods, but my diet had not changed, and the GERD came out of no where. It was so bad it was like a little vomit coming up and then I would swallow it back down. Mine went a way a lot after going gluten-free. And now I can tell right away if there is hidden gluten in something because the GERD is my first symptom. I had an ER doc explain it to me that he thought that (because I was in there when my passed out after my intestines had shut down and my BP got dangeriously low with all of the water collecting in my abdomen) my intestines were rejecting the food, and my stomach was full of food and acid, and it needed some where to go, so it went back up.

Also, I never had asthma before having GERD. Now I have to use an inhaler almost weekly. My doc at the time said that many people devlop asmtha because the acid and fumes singe the lungs and bronchial tube when you have it at night and you are laying down and breathing normally. You don't realize that you just had a GERD "attack" so you do not try to swallow it or cough. I had never heard that before, but it makes sense to me, cause I don't know how else I would have "caught" asmtha.

Rad3737 Rookie

I was disgnosed with Acid Reflux a couple of weeks ago. The symptom wasn't heartburn though, it was a severe sore throat for 24/7 for 2 1/2 months, plus an occasional nasty tasting burp upon waking in the AM, that left unattended would lead to vomiting. An E.N.T prescribed Protonix, but my Naturopath prescribed Enzymes (Patti was right about the enzymes working!) and there's something about the Protonic that doesn't feel right, so haven't been taking it. Also NOT eating 2 1/2 hours before bedtime is very important (I've seen this recommendation on various links). Elevating your bed by 4" is supposed to help. Hope you feel better soon.

Dianna

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Everybody, thank you for the kind words and support. I'm very fearful about how sick I feel. I'm not a strong person when dealing with illness. I'm the first to admit it. I can't tolerate being sick. It makes me cry like a baby. My husband is in the middle east for two years (been gone for some months now) and I get scared thinking that I'm all my kids have. That's the sob story. Please pray for me if you're the praying type. If you're not the praying type... please pray for me anyway... I believe it will help.

Nancym Enthusiast

I recommend this article on GERD: Open Original Shared Link

Archived