This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is Anyone From The Portland, Oregon Area?

kaylie

kaylie Newbie

I live in the Portland area. I have be gluten free for just about six months and feel a lot better. I do, however, feel somewhat limited about places to eat so if you have any input I would greatly appreciate it. Also, are there any support groups in the area?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I frequently go to Portland. There is a fish house called the Corbett fish house address is 5901 SW Corbett Ave Portland, OR 97239 phone (503) 246-4434

The breading on the fish, chicken strips and cheese curds are all gluten free as well as alot of the menu items. They clearly list on the menu what is and what isnt.

It's nice to not have to worry! :)

• 3 weeks later...
ErraticBinxie Explorer

I would have responded to your post a long time ago but I never come into this section of your post.

I am originally from Tualatin but I am now attending the University of Oregon in Eugene. I have a few places to eat that are gluten-free that I would love to share.

E-mail: Lexietualatin@juno.com

AIM: ErraticBinxie

• 2 weeks later...
Ksmith Contributor

HI,

There are a couple good places for gluten-free food.

Corbett's fish house is GREAT! I am from Wisconsin, so I am a little biased.

Also, Assagio on SE 13th and SE Lambert

Andina (in the Pearl)

and there is a pizza place in Lake Oswego that makes a gluten free pizza,

but I can't remember the name--something like Telmercado, I forget.

Also, Piece of Cake bakery in Sellwood has gluten free cakes.

That's all I can think of right now.

As for a support group, I saw some info. at Corbett's, you should go check it out there...Corbett's has

a bunch of resources at the front of the restaurant. Good luck!

P.S Also, New Seasons is a great place to shop and ever once in a while they have gluten-free store tours

to show you all their glutenfree stuff. I have neer been to one, but I should go :-) Glad to know that there

are some you in my local area :-) Maybe I'll go to a support group sometime, I bet that they are very helpful!

ErraticBinxie Explorer
HI,

Andina (in the Pearl)

As for a support group, I saw some info. at Corbett's, you should go check it out there...Corbett's has

P.S Also, New Seasons is a great place to shop and ever once in a while they have gluten-free store tours

to show you all their glutenfree stuff. I have neer been to one, but I should go :-) Glad to know that there

are some you in my local area :-) Maybe I'll go to a support group sometime, I bet that they are very helpful!

The pizza place in Lake Oswego is really good. It's called Talarico's Mercado. They have gluten-free pizza but it is a bit expensive ($17 for a medium-sized pizza)

Also Rose's Deli in Sherwood and other locations has a gluten-free cake called a "Flourless chocolate Torte" that is really good.

P.F. Changs just opened a chain in Bridgeport Village. There is also one in Portland I think. They have an entire gluten-free menu. Its the only Chinese food I dare to eat.

Outback of course has a gluten-free menu. Not a big fan of the food but they are helpful.

Ksmith Contributor
The pizza place in Lake Oswego is really good. It's called Talarico's Mercado. They have gluten-free pizza but it is a bit expensive ($17 for a medium-sized pizza)

I found the lady who makes their dough...I bought some and made my own pizza and it was super good and way cheaper than going out. Here's a link to her website...

Open Original Shared Link

Matilda Enthusiast

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ksmith Contributor

You all should really go check out Bob's Red Mill store in Milwaukie...it's great! They have all sorts of there own gluten-free stuff plus a freezer full of Kinickinnck and also Tinkyada pastas and Ener-G stuff I haven't ever seen in any of the other grocery stores around here.

• 4 weeks later...
doggoneit28 Newbie

ErraticBinxie- What restaurants have you found in Eugene that you would recommend as gluten-free?

• 3 weeks later...
TimSpfd Newbie

Hi, I am in Eugene also.

The Outback at Gateway is ok.

There is a Vietnamese place called Pho Yi-Shen at the corner of 11th and Chambers next to Ring of Fire. They have a dish Lemongrass Chicken that is gluten free, and some cold salad rolls. I love the LG Chicken (it can be done with tofu also) so eat there fairly often. There is as always a chance of cross contamination. Out of maybe 30 times I have been there there was only one that I think I may have had a problem.

I don't know for sure otherwise about restaurants.

I have heard that Sweet Life Patisserie makes some gluten free baked goods but haven't tried them. I am a little unsure about that since they make regular stuff too, and I would think with flour in the air the chance of crosscontamination would be higher. I ma not highly sensitive but have been having more problems lately. I have begun to wonder if I have an additional intollerance for either soy or almonds. Playing the elimination game just now.

• 9 months later...
choiceshealthfood Newbie
I live in the Portland area. I have be gluten free for just about six months and feel a lot better. I do, however, feel somewhat limited about places to eat so if you have any input I would greatly appreciate it. Also, are there any support groups in the area?

You should definately get in touch with the Portland Gluten-Intolerance Group!

www.portlandmetroceliacs.org, and email Jennifer at gig_membership@hotmail.com

They are several support groups through out the Portland area, and they will be able to answer all your questions, as well as direct you to the Gluten-Free friendly restaurants around town.

If you are down in Eugene on the 2nd Thursday of each month, you will have to swing by our own Eugene-GIG support group! We'd love to see you there!

choiceshealthfood Newbie
I would have responded to your post a long time ago but I never come into this section of your post.

I am originally from Tualatin but I am now attending the University of Oregon in Eugene. I have a few places to eat that are gluten-free that I would love to share.

E-mail: Lexietualatin@juno.com

AIM: ErraticBinxie

I am sure you are busy with school, but it would be great to see you at our next group get-together! :)

I think I answered a post you had in another section of the forum, about when and where our Eugene-GIG meets...

Feb. 8th, 6-8pm, 1800 Lakewood Ct.-Clubhouse

hope to see you there!

brynn@choiceshealthfood.com

choiceshealthfood Newbie

TO: DoggoneIt and TimSpfd,

The Eugene Gluten-Intolerant Group has a 'Newbie' packet that includes restaurants recommended by members of the support group. Let me know if youwould like me to mail you a packet.

Also, we just completed our first Gluten-Free revamping of a Menu at McGrath's Fish House. You can now go in and request a Gluten Free menu and know that each ingredient listed, and method of preparation, has been triple checked to insure that gluten is not present and that cross-contamination does not occur!

We hope McGrath's jubilant willingness to work with us is representative of encounters we will have with many more restaurants to come! :)

Hope to see you at the next Eugene-GIG meeting!

brynn@choiceshealthfood.com

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

I'm in Albany Oregon, and would like to eat and shop in Portland now and then, but don't know my way around and am nervous in the traffic....not a nervous type person normally, but come from La Grande Oregon most my life and just learned to be a slow country hick driver.

I am almost 50 years and would like to contact the celiac disease group in portland and find other women I could meet to go out to eat and shop gluten free places occassionally. The address for the celiac disease group listed in one of the replies says it is an invalid address on my email program. (Not interested in any kind of dating type thing)

I was really excited to see so many places to eat gluten-free in Portland! I emailed it to my one friend who is gluten-free, but she runs a farm and may not have time or money to go but once a year or so. I own my own biz and don't have much time or money either, but can make some available for such wonderfulness as gluten-free food SERVED to me hot and ready, WOW!

I've been celiac disease for nearly 20yrs, found out when my mother nearly died from starvation and dehydration and the (woman) doctor who finally diagnosed her (after years of trouble with other doctors) told her it was hereditary and that she should have her family checked out....now I know I have it, my sister insists on listening to her doc who diagnoses her with everything else, and she remains in denial.......and one of my two daughters also knows she and both her daughters have it, my grand girls 2 and 5yrs.....but my other daughter also lives in denial with her many symptoms. I can't harp at them, so I say something now and then, but mostly silently watch as my sister and daughter gradually loose their health.

Would like to make some gluten free friends.

Generic Apprentice

If your going to Portland, you may as well go a little further over to Vancouver. There is an almost completely gluten free store there. They have products that I was never able to find before.

I have been a diagnosed celiac for 19 years, so I can relate. The choice and quality of gluten free foods has changed drasticly since back then. I was so excited the first time I went there. I spent $200! Just be sure to bring a cooler and some ice packs, LOL

It is called lingon berries market. They are located just off I-205.

-Laurie

choiceshealthfood Newbie
I'm in Albany Oregon, and would like to eat and shop in Portland now and then, but don't know my way around and am nervous in the traffic....not a nervous type person normally, but come from La Grande Oregon most my life and just learned to be a slow country hick driver.

I am almost 50 years and would like to contact the celiac disease group in portland and find other women I could meet to go out to eat and shop gluten free places occassionally. The address for the celiac disease group listed in one of the replies says it is an invalid address on my email program. (Not interested in any kind of dating type thing)....

Would like to make some gluten free friends.

Granny,

try this: www.gluten.net

On the left side of the screen select 'Branch & Partners', and then 'Branch & Partner Groups'.

Scroll down and select 'Oregon', and you will be taken to the 4 GIG-affiliated groups in Oregon: Eugene, McMinnville, Salem & Portland. Each site has a little different look, and they are all fun to look at.

Our Eugene-GIG group is going on six months, and we are just so excited about the progress we are making, and the fun we are having! If you ever have any questions about our group, please don't hesitate to ask me here, or send me an email; brynn@choiceshealthfood.com. Maybe some Thursday you will be able to make it down to see us. :)

brynn

choiceshealthfood Newbie

Hope this is helpful! :)

brynn

Guest happynwgal
If your going to Portland, you may as well go a little further over to Vancouver. There is an almost completely gluten free store there. They have products that I was never able to find before.

I have been a diagnosed celiac for 19 years, so I can relate. The choice and quality of gluten free foods has changed drasticly since back then. I was so excited the first time I went there. I spent $200! Just be sure to bring a cooler and some ice packs, LOL

It is called lingon berries market. They are located just off I-205.

-Laurie

Thank you all for some great input on places to shop and eat here in the Portland, Oregon area.

• 1 year later...
pixiechixs Newbie

Hi

I live in Portland, OR. Diagnosed in Sept. Looking for fellow gluten-free vegetarians in the area.

I have joined the GIG group.

Victoria

(31yrs old, married, librarian)

• 11 months later...
mslee Apprentice

Hi All!

Looking for the nice girl I met from Portland...when she was visiting her family in Austin last Fall...

We met at a Family Friends Thanksgiving Dinner...you were the first Celiac I have met in person.

Any was it was nice meeting you, I have lost your contact info.

My name is Alison my Aunt is good friends with Betsy & Earl

contact me if you like.

~ali

• 1 year later...
mary m Newbie

Hi

I live in Portland, OR. Diagnosed in Sept. Looking for fellow gluten-free vegetarians in the area.

I have joined the GIG group.

Victoria

(31yrs old, married, librarian)

Hi Victoria,

I live in Portland and was diagnosed in Aug 07. I don't follow a strict vegetarian diet although I limit meat in my diet. I'm always looking for celiacs to share recipes, tips, local restaurants that are safe to eat at etc. I just turned 50, married, 3 kids and stay at home mom.

Mary (mary_mardesich@yahoo.com)

mary m Newbie

HI,

Andina (in the Pearl)

Coffee plant right next door to Corbett St. Fish House is all gluten free. They have coffee cakes, scones, cookies, sandwich wraps, yogurt and a few other items. The coffee is superb!

Mississippi Pizza Co. on N. Albina St has really good gluten free pizza and a couple of gluten free beers

P.F. Changs has a gluten free menu as well as Outback Steakhouse

Archived