Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Had Troubles With Crystal Light?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 wilbragirl

wilbragirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hi there! It's a balmy 45F in Vermont...Where the ....is winter???

Anyway, has anyone had GI troubles with Crystal Light powdered mixes?

Shari
Waitsfield Vermont :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WGibs

WGibs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

I haven't, but artificial sweeteners are a common cause of diarrhea in some people. If the Crystal Light is the only time you consume artificial sweeteners, then that might be what you're reacting to.

Of course, this may depend upon the nature of your GI troubles ;)

High IGG, normal IGA and TTG.
Very positive dietary response.
Gluten-free since 12/26/05.

#3 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

I've never been able to tolerate Nutrasweet.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#4 hlm34

hlm34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

i was told by my dietician that crystal light was not gluten free. at least not the lemonade or pink lemonade.

#5 WGibs

WGibs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

i was told by my dietician that crystal light was not gluten free. at least not the lemonade or pink lemonade.

That's strange...here are the ingredients of the lemonade:
CITRIC ACID (PROVIDES TARTNESS), POTASSIUM AND SODIUM CITRATE (CONTROL ACIDITY), ASPARTAME (SWEETENER), MAGNESIUM OXIDE (PREVENTS CAKING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL FLAVOR, LEMON JUICE SOLIDS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), ARTIFICIAL COLOR, YELLOW 5 LAKE, BHA (PRESERVES FRESHNESS).

and here's pink lemonade:
CITRIC ACID (PROVIDES TARTNESS), POTASSIUM CITRATE (CONTROLS ACIDITY), MALTODEXTRIN (FROM CORN) ASPARTAME (SWEETENER), MAGNESIUM OXIDE (PREVENTS CAKING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), ARTIFICIAL COLOR, RED 40 LAKE.

I don't see any gluten -- Crystal Light is a Kraft food, so they wouldn't hide it in "natural flavors" or any other tricky ingredient.

From what I can tell, it's gluten-free.

High IGG, normal IGA and TTG.
Very positive dietary response.
Gluten-free since 12/26/05.

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:44 AM

it is gluten free, but I haven't tried it, I don't like artificial sweeteners in any form. My body can't tolerate them.

I stick with plain ol water or fruit juice most of the time...

#7 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I've been diabetic for 27 years, so i guess I am used to artificial sweetners. I drink the Crystal Lite Raspberry Ice Tea all the time with no problems.
Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#8 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

I just drank two glasses of the lemonade and I feel fine. It has never bothered me before either.

#9 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:40 AM

I can't drink them...but artificial sweetners give me GI issues. I stay away from them.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#10 hlm34

hlm34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

that is so interesting! i love crystal light lemonade and i have been staying away all this time! I wonder why she would say that? maybe at one time they were not gluten-free but now they are?? oh i am so happy to have it back on my list again!!

#11 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:46 AM

Just checking if anyone has an update on Crystal Light. It is a Kraft product, is it gluten-free or has anyone has problems with it (other than it contains aspartame?)
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#12 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:05 AM

The dad of one of my high school friends was a chemist who helped to develop Aspartame. He wouldn't let his family touch it--he was sure it was carcinogenic, and said that it was never subjected to proper long-term testing.

I tried it once or twice, and think it tastes absolutely HORRIBLE--strong chemical aftertaste. I'll never touch it again.

I certainly agree that plain water gets boring, and straight fruit juice is just too much sugar, even if it IS natural. But what about mixing fruit juice with sparkling water and adding a splash of lime?

#13 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

I could be wrong on this, but... I believe that the powdered kind you buy is gluten-free, but the made up kind is not gluten-free. I could be remembering the wrong drink though. Our local QFC was closing out a bunch of bottled drinks this summer and I was going to buy the ones my daughter liked when I noticed something (wheat gluten?) on the label that stopped me from buying it.

#14 Silly Yak Pete

Silly Yak Pete

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

I have no problems drinking the lemonaide. I hope there is no hidden gluten in it.

#15 sharps45

sharps45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

Some of the flavors contain Maltodextrin, which in cross-checking here in the forums I've found may contain or produce MSG. MSG does contain gluten. This is a very tiny amount, though, so it may not trigger a reaction in most. The deeper I dig into food additives, it starts to look like we'd have to eat nothing but dirt to be gluten-free. Maybe we just have to weed out as much as possible. I don't like getting glutened, but I won't worry myself sick over it neither.
diagnosed 9-07, symptoms for many years

really only get sick from oats and white bread

hard to say goodbye to Olive Garden!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: