This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jell-o Instant Pudding

KatieWI

KatieWI Newbie

Hi. Does anybody know if the Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Butterscotch Pudding is gluten-free?

The ingredients are: Modified food starch, Maltodextrin (from corn), Tetrasodium pyrophosphate and Disodium phosphate (for thickening), Contains less than 2% of skim milk, artificial flavor, salt, calcium sulfate, xanthan gum (for smooth texture), mono- and diglycerides (prevent foaming), aspartame and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners), yellow 6, yellow 5, artificial color.

Also...it is made by Kraft Foods North America.

Thanks for the help! :)

~Katie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Stay away from it, it has modified food starch.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I thought Kraft doesn't hide gluten in their ingedients?

Guest nini

Kraft does NOT hide gluten in any of their ingredients. If wheat barley oats or rye are not listed then it is safe...

also modified food starch IF MADE IN USA is from corn unless otherwise specified.

Rusla Enthusiast

I have just learned to not touch anything with modified food starch in it. I actually stopped at the store on the way home and read a package of Jell-o

Instant pudding but could not find modified food starch on the package.

teebs in WV Apprentice

Kraft in the US will clearly list if a product contains wheat, barley, rye, or oats. If the Kraft label states modified food starch, and you are in the US, then the modified food starch was a derivative of another grain (such as corn).

Kraft is one of the products that I trust. Take a look a their website - it has a very informative section explaining their labeling standards.

jerseyangel Proficient

I would use it--Kraft is one of the few mainstream companies whose foods don't cause me a reaction. Also, like everyone stated, they won't hide gluten on the label.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I was impressed today. There was a company I never heard of demonstrating chocolate. Right on the info they gave out and on the boxes it said it contained no wheat or gluten. However it said,"this product is made in a facility where nuts and wheat products are produced. Due to contamination issues it is not advised for people with allergies or Celiac disease to use this product."

ebrbetty Rising Star

I was told on another board that the kraft choc and vanilla cooked pudding is gluten-free/df I made some last night with rice milk, can also just use water

VydorScope Proficient

My son eats kraft's pudding almost every day, its good stuff for a toddler, even with celiac disease! :D

crk Newbie

Here's my very first post and am glad I ran across the comments about Kraft. My question is even if a product is considered gluten-free, such as Jell-o pudding, and I eat it, and I get a reaction, what is it that's causing that reaction? Is it something else in the pudding I could have an issue with? Or is it because my system is still reacting to something I contaminated myself with 3 days ago? Or is it cross-contamination from the factory (I am very safe at home). I was officially diagnosed July 2005 and have been struggling ever since. I know for sure that anything that says "natural flavoring" I need to avoid. But there are many days that I think I'm not eating anything harmful and by the end of the night I get my usual pains (not severe, but enough that I know I've had something I shouldn't), and in the morning I'm nauseous. I just want to get back to being able to eat some of the normal foods, like Jell-o pudding, that are supposed to be free of gluten and that you say are ok to eat, and not be stuck on rice cakes and cheese and peanut butter. I feel I'm trying really hard but am very frustrated.

Help???

teebs in WV Apprentice

Everyone is different and this disease effects everyone differently. Maybe dairy is your issue?

Also, all things labeled 'natural flavors' or 'natural flavorings' are not off-limits. Only those that contain wheat, rye, barley or oats are off-limits. Some companies disclose if 'natural flavoring' consists of anything containing gluten. Some companies, such as Kraft, may list 'natural flavors' on the ingredients list. If there is no mention of wheat, rye, barley, oats, etc., then it would still be ok.

Here's what I do: if a company declares that they will clearly list any gluten containing ingredients on the label, and a particular product by this company lists natural flavor as an ingredient, and makes no reference to a gluten ingredient, then I consider it safe.

There may be others that are stricter than that.....some people stay completely clear of all pre-packaged/processed foods.

Good luck - I hope you figure out what your issue is.

Archived