This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canadians?

EMSPrincess

rinne Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm Canadian as well. I live in Winnipeg. Is there anyone else here from Winnipeg? I was recently diagnosed and am wondering what if any restaurants in Winnipeg are good to go to. I used to eat out all the time and am going through withdrawl.

Me too, but I can't help you with restaurants other than Glutton's, they can do gluten free. I'm limited not only by the gluten but dairy, grains and nightshades as well.

It's nice to have another Winnipegger on the board. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Osteogal (Karen) Newbie

You're not alone! I just joined, too. I'm in Halifax.

Karen

Daxin Explorer
Me too, but I can't help you with restaurants other than Glutton's, they can do gluten free. I'm limited not only by the gluten but dairy, grains and nightshades as well.

It's nice to have another Winnipegger on the board. :)

When I was in Winnipeg a few months ago, I have to admit I was IMPRESSED at all the options available. Especially down on confusion corner. There was an AWESOME market there that had all kinds of stuff.

Also, we went to a Thai place in the village that was very helpful in helping me select something that was appropriate for me.

Sam's Molly Newbie

I am new to the forum, I am here on Vancouver Island, BC... Hi everyone!

Kathy Blackwood Newbie
Thanks everyone.. I'm from Peterborough, On.. I looked into the Canadian Celiac Ass., but the chapter in Peterborough doesn't seem very active...

Is there somewhere on here for Canadians??

Anyone from around me any food/restaurant/etc. suggestions.. Thanks again everyone... I'm having a really tough time with this.

I'm from Peterborough too.

The local Association IS pretty quiet - largely due to lack of membership, and busy people who are members.

I self diagnosed about 4 years ago, and got a definitive diagnosis about 3 years ago. I've suffered from Dermatitis Herpetiformous for about 20 years.

My youngest daughter is starting to exhibit signs too but is coping well.

Sorry to read you're having a hard time with this. Feel free to contact me, I've pretty much learned to adapt. Alot of the restaurants downtown will accomodate you if you let them know. The Tai Restaurant at the Corner of George and Sherbrooke is VERY good, :P and very gluten-free friendly. The old Stone Brewery on George St is pretty good too.

Good luck. I can be reached at kathy@kpp.ca :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
singingserena Newbie
Hey, I'm 23 and in Hamilton! HAHA

hey...ya im 23 and from toronto...nice to meet someone from ontario who is gluten-free. So how do you manage everyday.

cooki.dough Rookie

Hey everyone, newbie here.

I'm a fellow Canadian. Cole Harbor, Nova Scotia to be exact. It's nice to meet everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice
When I was in Winnipeg a few months ago, I have to admit I was IMPRESSED at all the options available. Especially down on confusion corner. There was an AWESOME market there that had all kinds of stuff.

Also, we went to a Thai place in the village that was very helpful in helping me select something that was appropriate for me.

I know the market you speak of, it is a little pricy for me, a jar of organic almond butter there is $23.50 and at the organic grocer I shop at it is $15.99. Nice to know it has some gluten free stuff though most processed food for me is an issue gluten free or not.

You reminded me about Sukhotai which will do gluten free and I have eaten there, it is very good.

• 2 weeks later...
leewendy Newbie

Hello I am canadian, lee wendy, diagnosed with celiac late june early july of 2006. Its been a rough ride for the last eleven months. A little upset that the G.i was seeing will not be until next year. thinking of finding a new one. Well its sunny day here take care. from leewendy (wendy)

erinjk Newbie

Hi :)

Am from near Edmonton, Alberta. Wondering if there are any other Albertans out there! ;)

Just new to this, so been looking around on the internet at as many sites as I can get!

There's so much info to read!

natalie Apprentice
Hi to all

I just joined your site oh about 5 min ago. :D Yes i am from Ontario Canada (Guelph) I was told i was celiac when i was seventeen. i took me a while to be willing to go without gluten ( it helped that i found out you can claim your food on incom tax). i have 3 children (14, 10 and 10 yes twins) part of the reason i kinda began eating gluten again. i'm not sure if any of them have this disease or not. I'm curently dating a vegan so if anyone out there has any suggestions please feel free to let me know good dinners for the vegan/celiac ( this food must not caontain anything that has a head)

Thanks for your help

Kareen :)

Hi Kareen,

I'm from Waterloo !!

Natalie

Felidae Enthusiast
Hi :)

Am from near Edmonton, Alberta. Wondering if there are any other Albertans out there! ;)

Just new to this, so been looking around on the internet at as many sites as I can get!

There's so much info to read!

I think there are about six of us from Alberta. A few from the Edmonton, central area and a few from the Calgary area.

DEBSY 62 Newbie
Thanks everyone.. I'm from Peterborough, On.. I looked into the Canadian Celiac Ass., but the chapter in Peterborough doesn't seem very active...

Is there somewhere on here for Canadians??

Anyone from around me any food/restaurant/etc. suggestions.. Thanks again everyone... I'm having a really tough time with this.

Hey, I am from Ptbo too. I am living and working in Toronto for a few years, spend my weekends and time off back home in Ptbo. Was at Joanne's Place on water st (ptbo) on sat for gluten free shopping spree. Not sure in Toronto where the heck things are so shop in Ptbo is easier for me. Deb

• 4 months later...
BARLEY MISSING Newbie

Hi everyone

Just thought I would say hi and tell you that I am canadian too and am from New Brunswick.

I was diagnosed with celiac in May 2007, so still pretty new to me. Although I have found some pretty good products here and in the states. Hardest thing for me was or I guess is finding a restaurant and also I was a beer drinker. Although there is a gluten-free beer available (LE MESSAGERE)

$18.90 for a six pack guess better than none. Redbridge in the states that is a real nice tasting beer.

Just was down to New Hampshire got 24 pack of Redbridge for $25.99.

PS A WINE STORE HERE ACTUALLY CARRIES A gluten-free BEER KIT IT IS NOT BAD ACTUALLY

• 1 month later...
Prairenurse Newbie
I am new to this discussion board! I am from regina, sask. Just thought I would say hi! I am finding this board SO HELPFUL! I wish I had signed up long ago!

Courtney :)

Hi Prairie Girl. I'm Prairienurse! From Saskatoon. I just became a member. I spent money on a site for us gluten free folks, but I am disappointed with it. I am glad that this site is as active as it is and that it is free. Good for the organization!

kali-mist Apprentice

Hello all,

I'm Canadian, born in Thunder Bay but moved to Edmonton a couple of years ago. I was diagnosed with Celiac in March 2007 and am still learning and finding out new things all the time. I would love to know of some "safe" restaurants in Edmonton as I tend to get lazy and like to go out to eat. I'm kinda shy and when I do go out to eat I don't tell my server of my special dietary needs, I just order something that should be safe. I know that's not a good practice but the service in this part of the country is really bad (all of you Albertans know what I'm talking about) so I doubt they will listen to what I have to say anyway. One place that I like to go to is Outback steakhouse, they have a gluten-free menu so I like to think the staff is knowledgeable. However, it's a bit pricey so not someplace I would go to regularly. Anyone know of any other restaurants I could try?

Hey Barley Missing: I feel your pain as I used to be a huge beer drinker before I was diagnosed. I tried that gluten-free beer Le Messagere and I think it tastes like day old dog vomit. I just stick to wine and vodka now.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

• 1 month later...
MJK Newbie

Hi I am Mj I am from southwestern ontario...just outside of London(country gal) I go to jubilee bakery in london mmmmm

I tried to get tested for celiacs but my doctor said why get tested when you know...grrr. I have had chronic gas...and I would have unexplained stomache cramps and cold sweats and then my body would eliminate all contents right away. I would think i had the flu but as fast as it came on it would go...till the next time. I had bloating and was often fatiqued. My father had similar things all his life ( my sugar levels were normal no more lows I am not diabetic but my sugar often will go low). I went on this diet to lose weight that i removed all bread products out of my diet and had mostly veggies and meat and for the first time in my life i really felt good. The diet was over I lost my weight and put breads and pasta etc...back in my diet and back came all the symptoms. I went to the doctor and after discussing all the syptoms he said that he believed i had gluten intolerance. I tried diet for months felt great but it was so expensive. I have 2 boys and hate spending what i could use for them. Well about 2 weeks ago and about 6 monts free of symptoms (on regular diet) i got sick again...my stomach bloated like i was 4 months or more pregnant and cramping and here we go again and it really sucks ...I felt so bad. I went back on gluten free last week and I feel human again...except now i react even when with some chips than may contain wheat etc. I seem to be more sensitive. My oldest boy is having constipation problems and stomach cramps I think i will demand he be tested. My youngest had the blood test at 2 years...due to life threatening eczema and it came back negative. I am slightly over whelmed at times. I thought doctor was wrong so that is why i went off diet...why pay the price if you do not know for sure...but it is not worth it ..i feel terrible when i am not on diet...and there were things that disappeared when i went on diet this time...that i just thought was normal for me...migrane headaches...aches pains of age lol...pimples etc...

I am really interested what people think about my story .... I probably did not explain all things...but i am sure you get the main idea

Mj

MJK Newbie

Hi I am Mj I am from southwestern ontario...just outside of London(country gal) I go to jubilee bakery in london mmmmm

I tried to get tested for celiacs but my doctor said why get tested when you know...grrr. I have had chronic gas...and I would have unexplained stomache cramps and cold sweats and then my body would eliminate all contents right away. I would think i had the flu but as fast as it came on it would go...till the next time. I had bloating and was often fatiqued. My father had similar things all his life ( my sugar levels were normal no more lows I am not diabetic but my sugar often will go low). I went on this diet to lose weight that i removed all bread products out of my diet and had mostly veggies and meat and for the first time in my life i really felt good. The diet was over I lost my weight and put breads and pasta etc...back in my diet and back came all the symptoms. I went to the doctor and after discussing all the syptoms he said that he believed i had gluten intolerance. I tried diet for months felt great but it was so expensive. I have 2 boys and hate spending what i could use for them. Well about 2 weeks ago and about 6 monts free of symptoms (on regular diet) i got sick again...my stomach bloated like i was 4 months or more pregnant and cramping and here we go again and it really sucks ...I felt so bad. I went back on gluten free last week and I feel human again...except now i react even when with some chips than may contain wheat etc. I seem to be more sensitive. My oldest boy is having constipation problems and stomach cramps I think i will demand he be tested. My youngest had the blood test at 2 years...due to life threatening eczema and it came back negative. I am slightly over whelmed at times. I thought doctor was wrong so that is why i went off diet...why pay the price if you do not know for sure...but it is not worth it ..i feel terrible when i am not on diet...and there were things that disappeared when i went on diet this time...that i just thought was normal for me...migrane headaches...aches pains of age lol...pimples etc...

I am really interested what people think about my story .... I probably did not explain all things...but i am sure you get the main idea

Mj

Glutina Rookie

Hey fellow Canadians!

Just wanting to say hello, as I am new to the gluten-free way of life..but so far, loving how am I feeling despite the difficulties. I am currently living in Vancouver for school, but am also a prairie-gal (Calgary).

So....hello :)

Wonka Apprentice
Hey fellow Canadians!

Just wanting to say hello, as I am new to the gluten-free way of life..but so far, loving how am I feeling despite the difficulties. I am currently living in Vancouver for school, but am also a prairie-gal (Calgary).

So....hello :)

Which school are you going to. I live down the hill from UBC. I have discovered that the little hole in the wall Malaysian restaurant called Cafe D'Lite is pretty safe. I order the Laksas with rice noodle only (otherwise they do a mix of rice and wheat) it does not contain any soysauce (they only put soy sauce on their Hainese chicken). It's spicy but very good. There curries are great and safe to eat as well and best of all the place is inexpensive. There is also a new Indian restaurant on Broadway between Oak and Larch that serves Dosa ( a thin crepe made with fermented lentils and rice and very yummy). The restaurant is vegetarian and does have wheated items so I order carefully. Most other Indian restaurant have lots of choices that are safe (check out Rangoli on W.11 just off of Granville. It is a fusion Indian restaurant done cafeteria style next to Vij's and owned by Vikram Vij (one of the best restaurants in Vancouver and internationally well know).

Glutina Rookie
Which school are you going to. I live down the hill from UBC. I have discovered that the little hole in the wall Malaysian restaurant called Cafe D'Lite is pretty safe. I order the Laksas with rice noodle only (otherwise they do a mix of rice and wheat) it does not contain any soysauce (they only put soy sauce on their Hainese chicken). It's spicy but very good. There curries are great and safe to eat as well and best of all the place is inexpensive. There is also a new Indian restaurant on Broadway between Oak and Larch that serves Dosa ( a thin crepe made with fermented lentils and rice and very yummy). The restaurant is vegetarian and does have wheated items so I order carefully. Most other Indian restaurant have lots of choices that are safe (check out Rangoli on W.11 just off of Granville. It is a fusion Indian restaurant done cafeteria style next to Vij's and owned by Vikram Vij (one of the best restaurants in Vancouver and internationally well know).

Wow---thanks sooooo much for the info, Wonka! I go to UBC :)

I will definitely try the indian restaurants nearby UBC/broadway area...there are so many! Also Cafe D'Lite has always peaked my interest but I have never ventured in...maybe now I will!

Thanks again!!!!! :D

Wonka Apprentice
Wow---thanks sooooo much for the info, Wonka! I go to UBC :)

I will definitely try the indian restaurants nearby UBC/broadway area...there are so many! Also Cafe D'Lite has always peaked my interest but I have never ventured in...maybe now I will!

Thanks again!!!!! :D

You are very welcome.

I'm going to check out a restaurant on Robson Street called Zin Restaurant and Lounge. I was just reading a free magazine called EAT and on the very last page was an area for chefs to tell about themselves. The chef for this restaurant has a wife who is celiac so most of his menu is gluten free (at the very least this man will know what celiac disease is). It doesn't look like a low budget eatery but worth a look the next time I want a nice meal out.

• 4 weeks later...
Ivanna44 Apprentice
Hi... I'm just wondering if I'm the only Canadian on here. I've just recently been diagnosed and found this forum and liked what I saw but it seems to be only americans which might be a little difficult for getting specific help, and food, and shopping ideas. I love the help I've already gotten from some of you though, you guys are very helpful!

So just looking for Canadians for more help with shopping, stores, support groups etc...

Hi Wonka,

I am new to the forum here too, and a Canadian in Western Canada. Have you tried the Canadian Celiac homepage? You can join up a local chapter, there is a fee of $45 dollars for the first year, and 40 thereafter. I personally have not joined as yet, due to financial reasons. But, thats probably your best start in terms of finding people locally you can talk to, there are supposedly monthly meetings too. Membership (according to their website) helps pay for things like champaigning to encourage better labelling.

I have been 3 weeks now, gluten free. I did not test positive for celiac. But, due to some blood results, and an oversensitive stomach, lots of acid production and ulcers. When I had a set of blood tests done recently, my doctor wondered if I was gluten sensitive, so she ordered some extra tests. Although, it again came back negative for celiac disease, she still felt it was worthwhile me trying out a gluten free diet due to some other readings on the blood tests, and see if it helped out my stomach.

I know last weekend, I gave in, and had some italian bread (wheat kind) with my rice pasta spaghetti. And 2 hours later, I had that same stomach acid feeling. So I know there must be something going on, in terms of the gluten sensitivity.

I am looking for some people (women) who I can talk to on the forum here, or perhaps msn with. I am finding it difficult with this gluten free diet, everywhere I turn, everything seems to have gluten in it. :(

Wonka Apprentice
Hi Wonka,

I am new to the forum here too, and a Canadian in Western Canada. Have you tried the Canadian Celiac homepage? You can join up a local chapter, there is a fee of $45 dollars for the first year, and 40 thereafter. I personally have not joined as yet, due to financial reasons. But, thats probably your best start in terms of finding people locally you can talk to, there are supposedly monthly meetings too. Membership (according to their website) helps pay for things like champaigning to encourage better labelling.

I have been 3 weeks now, gluten free. I did not test positive for celiac. But, due to some blood results, and an oversensitive stomach, lots of acid production and ulcers. When I had a set of blood tests done recently, my doctor wondered if I was gluten sensitive, so she ordered some extra tests. Although, it again came back negative for celiac disease, she still felt it was worthwhile me trying out a gluten free diet due to some other readings on the blood tests, and see if it helped out my stomach.

I know last weekend, I gave in, and had some italian bread (wheat kind) with my rice pasta spaghetti. And 2 hours later, I had that same stomach acid feeling. So I know there must be something going on, in terms of the gluten sensitivity.

I am looking for some people (women) who I can talk to on the forum here, or perhaps msn with. I am finding it difficult with this gluten free diet, everywhere I turn, everything seems to have gluten in it. :(

Hi Ivanna,

I haven't joined the Canadian Celiac Association, they also have a Vancouver Chapter, but I did go to one of their meetings (it was held at Panno Rizo a local rice bakery).

I have not been officially diagnosed either. My blood work was negative and I don't have the results back from my most recent biopsy. If my biopsy is negative I will still stay on my gluten free diet. I did a gluten load for 2 weeks before the blood test and I was miserable. I had bloating, gas (vile gas), constipation with occasional explosive diarrhea, muscle pain, migraines (everyday) and debilitating fatigue. I don't ever want to go through that again. I have fibromyalgia as well and the celiac really makes that way worst ( I used to be very involved in the MEFM Society and quit due to burn out so that may be why I haven't joined any other groups yet).

You may want to try making your own bread. It will be better than any that you can buy and it is much easier to make gluten free bread than regular yeast bread (alot less rising). Just be prepared for a quick bread batter rather than a kneadable bread.

I make a quick pizza by using Bob Red Mills gluten free bread mix. I ignor the instuctions, add water until I get a still mix that I can roll out. I roll it as thin as I can get it, put it on my peel that I have covered in cornmead (you can use a pan but grease it then add the cornmeal and that will ensure it is non stick). Lather on tomato sauce (I make my own to ensure it's fresh and safe) I put on my toppings (my favourites are spinach, roasted garlic, carmelized onions-I make a big batch in the crockpot {5lbs onions, 1 stick butter, splash of balsamic vinegar and keep the crockpot on for about 12 hours), feta cheese. Place in the oven, preheated to 500 F, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. It's not exactly like a regular pizza but it is nice and crisp and fast and easy and still tastes good.

For some treat recipes I have found many cookie and cake recipes all over the internet. Check out the baking sectiion of this forum, the recipe section of the site and various other sites. I really like glutenfreegirl's blog site. I have some cake recipes that work brilliantly everytime and nobody knows that they are gluten free. Let me know if you would like them.

Good luck. I'm off to the farmers market now.

Veronica (aka Wonka)

• 3 weeks later...
dragonsrebel Rookie
Hi Ivanna,

I haven't joined the Canadian Celiac Association, they also have a Vancouver Chapter, but I did go to one of their meetings (it was held at Panno Rizo a local rice bakery).

I have not been officially diagnosed either. My blood work was negative and I don't have the results back from my most recent biopsy. If my biopsy is negative I will still stay on my gluten free diet. I did a gluten load for 2 weeks before the blood test and I was miserable. I had bloating, gas (vile gas), constipation with occasional explosive diarrhea, muscle pain, migraines (everyday) and debilitating fatigue. I don't ever want to go through that again. I have fibromyalgia as well and the celiac really makes that way worst ( I used to be very involved in the MEFM Society and quit due to burn out so that may be why I haven't joined any other groups yet).

You may want to try making your own bread. It will be better than any that you can buy and it is much easier to make gluten free bread than regular yeast bread (alot less rising). Just be prepared for a quick bread batter rather than a kneadable bread.

I make a quick pizza by using Bob Red Mills gluten free bread mix. I ignor the instuctions, add water until I get a still mix that I can roll out. I roll it as thin as I can get it, put it on my peel that I have covered in cornmead (you can use a pan but grease it then add the cornmeal and that will ensure it is non stick). Lather on tomato sauce (I make my own to ensure it's fresh and safe) I put on my toppings (my favourites are spinach, roasted garlic, carmelized onions-I make a big batch in the crockpot {5lbs onions, 1 stick butter, splash of balsamic vinegar and keep the crockpot on for about 12 hours), feta cheese. Place in the oven, preheated to 500 F, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. It's not exactly like a regular pizza but it is nice and crisp and fast and easy and still tastes good.

For some treat recipes I have found many cookie and cake recipes all over the internet. Check out the baking sectiion of this forum, the recipe section of the site and various other sites. I really like glutenfreegirl's blog site. I have some cake recipes that work brilliantly everytime and nobody knows that they are gluten free. Let me know if you would like them.

Good luck. I'm off to the farmers market now.

Veronica (aka Wonka)

Archived