This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canadians?

EMSPrincess

lorka150 Collaborator

yay! i'm looking forward to this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Another Canadian...Calgary, Alberta.

• 2 weeks later...
smacky Newbie

I'm Canadian. I'm originally from Toronto but I'm now in Hamilton.

kareena Newbie

Hi to all

I just joined your site oh about 5 min ago. :D Yes i am from Ontario Canada (Guelph) I was told i was celiac when i was seventeen. i took me a while to be willing to go without gluten ( it helped that i found out you can claim your food on incom tax). i have 3 children (14, 10 and 10 yes twins) part of the reason i kinda began eating gluten again. i'm not sure if any of them have this disease or not. I'm curently dating a vegan so if anyone out there has any suggestions please feel free to let me know good dinners for the vegan/celiac ( this food must not caontain anything that has a head)

Thanks for your help

Kareen :)

Robix Apprentice

Hi! Me too me too!

I am in Montreal! Anyone else from Montreal? Am desperately seeking an informed GI! I went to my GP with a list of about 12 symptoms and she treated each one separately...need a good doctor who can truly help me figure this out.

So happy to meet all you other canadians! Was looking for a canadian support site but you had to pay to be a member, and it didn't have half the info this one does. Well just have to be a well-informed minority! ;)

lorka150 Collaborator
Hi to all

I just joined your site oh about 5 min ago. :D Yes i am from Ontario Canada (Guelph) I was told i was celiac when i was seventeen. i took me a while to be willing to go without gluten ( it helped that i found out you can claim your food on incom tax). i have 3 children (14, 10 and 10 yes twins) part of the reason i kinda began eating gluten again. i'm not sure if any of them have this disease or not. I'm curently dating a vegan so if anyone out there has any suggestions please feel free to let me know good dinners for the vegan/celiac ( this food must not caontain anything that has a head)

Thanks for your help

Kareen :)

hi kareen!

i am from Niagara, but go to school in Waterloo. There are a lot of great resources - in both places. i have a lot of great vegan recipes on hand. let me know how i can help!

kareena Newbie

Hey thanks any help will do but you know what i'm wishing to for is a rice and cheese (vegan) based pizza crust haven't had pizza in sooooooo long my mom use to have a copy but over time and many folds i can't read a darn thing on it.

Thanks kareena

hi kareen!

i am from Niagara, but go to school in Waterloo. There are a lot of great resources - in both places. i have a lot of great vegan recipes on hand. let me know how i can help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

you can make cheese from nutritional yeast, or buy galaxy foods vegan cheese.

re: the crust, mine doesn't have rice, as i am allergic. i use other flours, so maybe someone else can help you better in that department.

Deej Newbie

It's so good to find this site and to see so many Canadians. I've been reading all day and your product posts are so helpful - thank you!

I'm a native Edmontonian, spent 16 fabulous years in Vancouver, but now I'm back in Edmonton.

sasha1234 Newbie
now I'm back in Edmonton.

can you believe the snow last night?!?!? BAH!

Deej Newbie
:angry: I know, I know! Ugggh.
Robix Apprentice

Deej,

Hi there, just noticed you were diagnosed as pernicious anemia in 96- i was dx in 92. Do you have the deficiency or the absorption problem (ie on monthly injections)?

SO many of my symptoms which I always just attributed to the pernicious anemia am now wondering if it was celiac disease, and am also wondering if the pernicious anemia came from the celiac disease or vice versa.

Am new to this board and am trying to figure this all out, without any insight or help in any way from any of the doctors I have ever had. Neither my hematologist, nor my GP nor my family doctor have ever had any time to give me information or help me manage this better.

Would love to hear if you have any to share! (am a canadian too, a montrealer!)

Deej Newbie

Hi yourself!

As I understand it, it's an absorption problem. But I'm not sure. I was already on the gluten-free diet (about three months if I remember correctly) when I started having symptoms similar to a heart attack. Blood test in emergency determined I was dangerously low on B12. I ended up with a very elevated homocysteine (it was very scary - the cardiologist was nervous). I was on weekly B12 shots for about a year and then moved to once a month (plus taking oral folic acid and B6).

I'm new to this board, too (just joined today) but I found a thread about it on the related diseases board.

It's a confusing disease, isn't it?

Felidae Enthusiast
can you believe the snow last night?!?!? BAH!

Hey, I love the snow. I had a great cross country ski today. Finally we get some winter.LOL

sasha1234 Newbie
Hey, I love the snow. I had a great cross country ski today. Finally we get some winter.LOL

Sweet. I like snow I just had to shovel.

Lynxear Rookie

Well.....I only think I am mildly celiac but that wheat intolerance is the root cause of other problem...so not sure that I qualify here.

I was born and raised in Winnipeg...lived in Toronto for 8 years and for the past 18 years I now live in Calgary....I like it here very much.

Felidae Enthusiast
Sweet. I like snow I just had to shovel.

Yeah, I am in a condo so I don't have to deal with the tiring part of the great snowfall that we got. That's probably part of why I don't mind it too much.

kareena Newbie

Lynxear...... well this may not be the best site but i'm sure it will help. My housemate has a friend that is wheat intorerant and we pass on suggestions to each other quite often.

Lynxear Rookie
Lynxear...... well this may not be the best site but i'm sure it will help. My housemate has a friend that is wheat intorerant and we pass on suggestions to each other quite often.

Well if you have suggestions for another site I will listen....but I am finding some good stuff here for me.

I definately am not "full blown" celiac. I don't have to religiously read labels...for example I love Asian food but I don't have to be carefull about the type of soy sauce used. But I do feel a bloat when I eat bread and pasta.

I have very high blood fats and diabetes (type II) and I found that eliminating wheat flour from my diet has helped both in the past....but that was when I lived in Thailand where wheat is not part of a traditional Thai. As soon as I went back on a western diet I have returned to those problems, big time.

I don't know if high blood fats is a celiac problem yet but I was surprised to find narcolepsy was. I am "borderline" narcoleptic as well. I have always felt that there was a root cause for my little health problems and that I was being only treated for symtoms...not cause.

I do struggle with a wheat free diet...I can do it for a while but in a western diet it is difficult for me. I eat out often and eliminating pizza, sandwiches, pasta, wraps makes menu choices rather small. I feel like a drunk who has been sober for a few months ....then tries one drink....then another...soon he is a lush again. Well bread is my alcohol.

Friendly people here ...

kareena Newbie
Well if you have suggestions for another site I will listen....but I am finding some good stuff here for me.

I definately am not "full blown" celiac. I don't have to religiously read labels...for example I love Asian food but I don't have to be carefull about the type of soy sauce used. But I do feel a bloat when I eat bread and pasta.

I have very high blood fats and diabetes (type II) and I found that eliminating wheat flour from my diet has helped both in the past....but that was when I lived in Thailand where wheat is not part of a traditional Thai. As soon as I went back on a western diet I have returned to those problems, big time.

I don't know if high blood fats is a celiac problem yet but I was surprised to find narcolepsy was. I am "borderline" narcoleptic as well. I have always felt that there was a root cause for my little health problems and that I was being only treated for symtoms...not cause.

I do struggle with a wheat free diet...I can do it for a while but in a western diet it is difficult for me. I eat out often and eliminating pizza, sandwiches, pasta, wraps makes menu choices rather small. I feel like a drunk who has been sober for a few months ....then tries one drink....then another...soon he is a lush again. Well bread is my alcohol.

Friendly people here ...

Well i know i don't feel it as bad as some but i also know what the worst case can be so i try to stay away from gluten all i can i really enjoy the tiai food so that is a help for me. i'll talk to my housemate and ask her to get hold heather and see if she goes on line.

qwertyui Rookie

I'm from just outside Toronto too!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Welcome! I'm in Clarington region.......

This is a great board with lots of great people here.....

Karen

kareena Newbie

ok ... so i have a question from anyone in the London, ON area.

I use to live there when i found out i was celiac. the health food store just off Richmond St. was great!!!! i think it was one block down from Oxford St. (next to the dool house not sure if it is still there near Wendys) they carried a product by a woman a named Marilyn ( not sure of the last name) i guess my question is can you still get her products they were the best ( i do believe that she has passed away from cancer not 100% sure of that) and if not did anyone take over the business and if it is available how can i get some?

Thanks for the help

lorka150 Collaborator
ok ... so i have a question from anyone in the London, ON area.

I use to live there when i found out i was celiac. the health food store just off Richmond St. was great!!!! i think it was one block down from Oxford St. (next to the dool house not sure if it is still there near Wendys) they carried a product by a woman a named Marilyn ( not sure of the last name) i guess my question is can you still get her products they were the best ( i do believe that she has passed away from cancer not 100% sure of that) and if not did anyone take over the business and if it is available how can i get some?

Thanks for the help

Here is the contact for the celiac chapter in London, maybe she can help:

CCA London Chapter President: Anita Zubko 519 657 2537

kareena Newbie
Here is the contact for the celiac chapter in London, maybe she can help:

CCA London Chapter President: Anita Zubko 519 657 2537

thanks for the info

Archived