This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canadians?

EMSPrincess

Rusla Enthusiast

I need to say "hi" to all the other Canadians who are new to this site that I haven't said "hi" to previously.

Lynxear--I know the feeling of feeling like a drunk that has been sober then has a drink. It takes a few crumbs for me to be so deadly ill and have dh and other nasty things when I get glutened. I have found it gets worse with each glutening. As for pizza's, I was out getting a small freezer today from a business I know and gives me a deal, when they had a pizza delivered. I wanted to pounce on it and eat it but remembered how sick it made me and I almost got sick there. I guess I need to make myself one of my gluten-free pizza's with goat cheese...so much better.

It does get easier if you stick to it, my getting very sick sure helps me stick to the diet. Now I have a little freezer I have a place to keep my gluten-free items I make etc.

For all the newbies--this is the greatest site and if you haven't joined the Celiac Association in your City I urge you to do so. They have some helpful resources for anyone who needs to be gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lynxear Rookie
Lynxear--I know the feeling of feeling like a drunk that has been sober then has a drink. It takes a few crumbs for me to be so deadly ill and have dh and other nasty things when I get glutened. I have found it gets worse with each glutening.

Well, I do feel much better being off wheat as much as possible. Thankfully I don't suffer as much as most of the people on this site including yourself....but I have found my basic health improve a great deal without wheat bread and junk food associated with wheat.

I use wheat-free gluten free flax bread from Gultimo which I do like actually. But I have found that I must be carefull with this too since I could gain weight easily eating too much of this product {sigh}

I have a lot to learn but I have found that I am eating healthier with a lot more veggies than I have in the past...a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...
awesomeame Explorer

kitchener ontario here, any single females in my area in their early 20's give me a shout! :D:ph34r:

to the author of the thread: regarding eating out, i think you said you were in peterborough? i've found kelsey's (everywhere around here) to be very compromising when it comes to gluten/dairy. the kelseys in the comfort inn in peterborough was very good to me. just ask them to hold the sauce on the ribs, or what have you. they have no issues with that stuff. also hot belly mama's was OK, although it took some patience dealing with the waitress :)

Open Original Shared Link is a fabulous store where you can get all your baking needs, or pre-baked goods. they're located here locally. unsure if they do mail order. everything they sell tastes great, but my fav is the white rice bread, and their pie shells.

check out your local healthfood stores, they should carry lots of food you can eat. if you're ever in k-w check out Eating Well located on king street in waterloo for all your dietary needs.

being gluten free doesn't mean not eating well either....i've never eaten so healthy before in my life!

--matt

lorka150 Collaborator

check out the Allergy Grocer on Bridgeport - very good. :)

awesomeame Explorer
check out the Allergy Grocer on Bridgeport - very good. :)

do you mean the natural food market? those dorks nevvvver have what i'm looking for in stock :unsure: i haven't heard of the allergy grocer :blink: ?

--matt

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Matt,

El Peto is my favourite company for gluten free food. Their chicken soup base mix is to die for (I use it for my rice - it's delicious!). Their vegetable soup base is also good but the beef one isn't. Also, I love their butter tarts (you can get them in the frozen section of the Canadian Superstores) and their cake mixes.

They are an awesome company!

Karen

lorka150 Collaborator
do you mean the natural food market? those dorks nevvvver have what i'm looking for in stock :unsure: i haven't heard of the allergy grocer :blink: ?

--matt

yes, sorry. i find waterloo and kitchener area has really good resources. i recently moved away (i was a student), but was pretty lucky there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
El Peto is my favourite company for gluten free food. Their chicken soup base mix is to die for (I use it for my rice - it's delicious!). Their vegetable soup base is also good but the beef one isn't. Also, I love their butter tarts (you can get them in the frozen section of the Canadian Superstores) and their cake mixes.
I must look for those soup mixes at the Superstore here. Hopefully we have them. When I was in Ontario, there were way more choices than here. I was shopping at a Zares in Cambridge though.
Modism Newbie

I'm from KW too. :)

I'm a student at UW. I always go to the Natural Food Market, but I buy my rice pasta and such at the bulk barn across the street, sooo much cheaper.

They have everything I need, though they can be pricey. I love their bulk section. :D

I've been to eating well a few times as well, when I was hunting down vegan food.

I don't buy that much processed food because: A) it's expensive and B) I don't like overly processed food.

I buy my rice flour, soy flower, etc, all my gluten free baking needs at bulk barn and make it from scratch.

Being a celiac at UW sucks. I had a hard enough time being vegan, they forced me to have pasta all the time. Now that I'm a celiac on top of that... it's just nuts. But then again, UW never did have a good caf...

lorka150 Collaborator

I'd be careful buying things bulk... Just so you know.

Nice to meet another KW-er!

Modism Newbie
I'd be careful buying things bulk... Just so you know.

Nice to meet another KW-er!

Yah, I try to be careful. Sometimes I worry, like did they get the whole wheat pasta and brown rice pasta mixed up? lol

Then the cross contamination of the flours... I'm just a poor student though, can't avoid those expensive flour mixes. :P Tis the student life...

awesomeame Explorer

that natural food market lately blows. going there is like going to canadian tire on victoria street, #%(*#&% useless. they never have what i want, but they DO have the highest prices i've found.

modism, do you have wheels? eating well is definitely the place to go, but personally overall i think basic bulk in fredrick mall has the cheapest prices. also you could go right to elpeto's outlet store-they have a lot of products there that aren't sold in stores like zehrs.

--matt

lorka150 Collaborator
Yah, I try to be careful. Sometimes I worry, like did they get the whole wheat pasta and brown rice pasta mixed up? lol

Then the cross contamination of the flours... I'm just a poor student though, can't avoid those expensive flour mixes. :P Tis the student life...

it's not too bad, just gotta know where to go. i get most of my flours at wegmen's and they are dirt cheap.

kareena Newbie

Just a note for all of you in the Guelph area the Stone Store downtown is great for finding the right food as well as Zehrs on Imperial and Pasiley Road.

sickandtired Newbie

Hello! I guess I'm the newest Canadian to join the CDF.

I live in Newmarket, Ontario. I am married and have 2 children.

I have been living with celiac disease for almost 37 years and have never

been apart of any type of support group. It will be interesting to learn

more about how others cope with this disease.

My last biopsy was in 1992.

I am beginning to find it more difficult to maintain a gluten free diet now

more than ever, primarily due to self-professed laziness and a myriad of excuses.

I'll make the effort to buy rice bread and rice pasta, yet I don't think twice about

having a slice of pizza or birthday cake if made available.

I tend to suffer from symptoms such as depression, fatigue, irritability and adult

acne and sinus headaches - all of which may or may not be due to my celiac disease (who knows?).

I guess I'm curious about what the future holds for me in terms of developing more

serious problems as time goes on and who's to say these potential problems wouldn't have

naturally ocurred as a part of aging anway? Am I still in denial after all these years? :blink:

Felidae Enthusiast
Hello! I guess I'm the newest Canadian to join the CDF.

I live in Newmarket, Ontario. I am married and have 2 children.

I have been living with celiac disease for almost 37 years and have never

been apart of any type of support group. It will be interesting to learn

more about how others cope with this disease.

My last biopsy was in 1992.

I am beginning to find it more difficult to maintain a gluten free diet now

more than ever, primarily due to self-professed laziness and a myriad of excuses.

I'll make the effort to buy rice bread and rice pasta, yet I don't think twice about

having a slice of pizza or birthday cake if made available.

I tend to suffer from symptoms such as depression, fatigue, irritability and adult

acne and sinus headaches - all of which may or may not be due to my celiac disease (who knows?).

I guess I'm curious about what the future holds for me in terms of developing more

serious problems as time goes on and who's to say these potential problems wouldn't have

naturally ocurred as a part of aging anway? Am I still in denial after all these years? :blink:

I almost chose "sickandtired" as my user name. I never cheat because I get extremely sick. I guess it is a personal decision, but I think you will learn a lot from this site. There is a lot of support and information here which I can't imagine getting through this without it. Welcome fellow Canadian.

Guest Babbia

Hi everyone,

Was thinking of organizing a group of at least 5 people from this site for a gluten-free dinner at a restaurant in Toronto. I know it's kinda strange, but think it might be fun. Any takers?

lorka150 Collaborator

Hey there, I'd go. Or, somewhere between Niagara and Toronto... I'm from Niagara and there are a lot of places here, and between here and TO.

• 2 weeks later...
kareena Newbie

sounds like a good idea. i was in toronto this summer and stumbled accross a restaurant that was vegan and celiac friendly and the menu had something like gluten-free next to the items to tell you that it was safe. if there was something you wanted to try they would see if they could make it gluten-free friendly :P

Lynxear Rookie

I was watching Canada AM and apparently a gluten/lactose free restaurant, Splitt Restaurant, has opened in Calgary. They have been open for 3 days now and already they are taking reservations because they are so busy. They decided to not advertise themselves as being gluten/lactose free for marketing reasons.

The two owners were on the program...each has one or both of gluten/lactose problems. Interesting...I don't know the address yet.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I was watching Canada AM and apparently a gluten/lactose free restaurant, Splitt Restaurant, has opened in Calgary.
That is great news! I will certainly check that place out! Thanks for posting that! Did they give an address?
psawyer Proficient

I didn't see the TV coverage, but today's Globe and Mail has an article about the restaurant.

Open Original Shared Link

CTV and The Globe are owned by the same company, FWIW.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Peter :) I am just so excited!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I work for CTV Calgary, I guess I'll pitch this story on a local level. I wonder if it is a medical story or not. It helps to avoid the assignment desk and go directly to a reporter sometimes. I'll see what I can do. I'm interested in checking it out, assuming they have a kid-friendly menu. My six year old would NEVER EVER eat a mexican lasagne. Or any other kind.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

If anyone goes to the restaurant let me know how everything went! Oh and if anyone has an address that would be great too!

Archived