Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Whey Protein

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you use whey protein powder and if it is safe/gluten free?

lemonade

Ads by Google:

Whey is ok, I think that is corn or potato based.

I use a combination of egg and whey protein -- supposedly, it's gluten-free. So far, haven't had a problem with it. I had asked someone about casein sensitivity -- dont' think I got an answer -- I think that would be the only difficulty you would have with whey protein.

I use a combination of egg and whey protein -- supposedly, it's gluten-free. So far, haven't had a problem with it. I had asked someone about casein sensitivity -- dont' think I got an answer -- I think that would be the only difficulty you would have with whey protein.

Would it be wise to call the manufacturer to see if the whey i use contains gluten?

Lemonade

Lemonade--I have no experience with whey, but anytime you are not sure about any product, it is wise to call and check it out yourself.

I agree with Patti -- if a phone call is all it takes from keeping you sick, that's a smallprice to pay. . . . Lynne

thankyou both for your replies!

Lemonade

Whey protein is dairy based.

Whey protein does not contain gluten. However whey protein products often have other ingredients added so you do need to check with the manuacturer.

I use Reflex Nutrtion instant whey protein which they have confirmed is gluten free.

Whey protein does contain small amounts of lactose.

Right --- whey protein is made from milk. Most protein powders are made of a blend of whey and casein. So if you are sensitive to casein (as many celiacs seem to be) be careful. Even if the name of the product is 'whey protein', read the ingredient list (I'm guessing we all have practice in label reading!)

"Whey Protein Isolate" is pure whey --- not a blend with other proteins. It's more expensive than other protein powders. I use "Hammer Whey --- 100% Whey Protein Isolate" from Hammer Nutrition. The label claims that "Hammer Whey does not contain: artificial flavors, colors or sweetners; wheat, gluten, dairy components, added simple sugars, stimulants, fad ingredients, or anything unhealthy". All of the Hammer products I've seen are labeled like this (ie, gluten free).

I buy it from Lame Advertisement.