#1 lemonade

lemonade

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you use whey protein powder and if it is safe/gluten free?

lemonade
Lemonade[size=5][font=Century Gothic]

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

Whey is ok, I think that is corn or potato based.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

I use a combination of egg and whey protein -- supposedly, it's gluten-free. So far, haven't had a problem with it. I had asked someone about casein sensitivity -- dont' think I got an answer -- I think that would be the only difficulty you would have with whey protein.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#4 lemonade

lemonade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

I use a combination of egg and whey protein -- supposedly, it's gluten-free. So far, haven't had a problem with it. I had asked someone about casein sensitivity -- dont' think I got an answer -- I think that would be the only difficulty you would have with whey protein.

Would it be wise to call the manufacturer to see if the whey i use contains gluten?

Lemonade

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

Lemonade--I have no experience with whey, but anytime you are not sure about any product, it is wise to call and check it out yourself.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

I agree with Patti -- if a phone call is all it takes from keeping you sick, that's a smallprice to pay. . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#7 lemonade

lemonade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:53 AM

thankyou both for your replies!

Lemonade

#8 abdab

abdab

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

Whey protein is dairy based.

Whey protein does not contain gluten. However whey protein products often have other ingredients added so you do need to check with the manuacturer.
I use Reflex Nutrtion instant whey protein which they have confirmed is gluten free.

Whey protein does contain small amounts of lactose.

#9 TestyTommy

TestyTommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:57 AM

Right --- whey protein is made from milk. Most protein powders are made of a blend of whey and casein. So if you are sensitive to casein (as many celiacs seem to be) be careful. Even if the name of the product is 'whey protein', read the ingredient list (I'm guessing we all have practice in label reading!)

"Whey Protein Isolate" is pure whey --- not a blend with other proteins. It's more expensive than other protein powders. I use "Hammer Whey --- 100% Whey Protein Isolate" from Hammer Nutrition. The label claims that "Hammer Whey does not contain: artificial flavors, colors or sweetners; wheat, gluten, dairy components, added simple sugars, stimulants, fad ingredients, or anything unhealthy". All of the Hammer products I've seen are labeled like this (ie, gluten free).

I buy it from Lame Advertisement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: