This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh! Why Am I Still So Stupid?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Couple days ago my family was running around in circles doing stuff, and I was hungry... so I said I'll just fry up some hotdogs (had to fry cause wife melted the grill.. but thats a another story...) and eat them. Not exactly gormee but I was hungry! Well that was all I was able to eat for a while, and they were Ocasr Myer all beef hot dogs so I know they are gluten-free. I started geting all stupid balsted paines/etc hours after that as typical..(still got them!) and I was driving myself mad trying to figure out how I got glutened, all I ate was the hot dogs, and this is not the first unsovled glutening either (rember my icecream thread??? UGH!).

Then I noticed the fry pan... its 10 years old, all cut into, teflon is in very bad shape... DUH!! The flippen stupid *beep* pan probably has a wearhouse of gluten in all the cracks, cuts, groves and creaves!! UGH!. I went through the kitchen and through out every pan I own, all of them! Then went to Walmart and picked up a small cheap set of pans to start over with. No wonder my son is only getting mostly better, and Im not getting better at all.

BAH! BAH! BAH!

Hopefully I can at least be a warning bouy for someone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Ya live and learn, Vincent! I made the same discovery a couple months ago--and went out and bought all stainless steel pans. Hope this helps put an end to the accidential glutenings :ph34r:

VydorScope Proficient
Ya live and learn, Vincent! I made the same discovery a couple months ago--and went out and bought all stainless steel pans. Hope this helps put an end to the accidential glutenings :ph34r:

Saw SS stuff, but for now I got a cheap $79 "anodized" set from Walmart till I can afford to slowly rebuy some good stuffs. I had nothing after my little trip thorought he cabinets with the garbage can.

dlp252 Apprentice

Oh heck, lol. You know, I've been really dizzy and nauseated for about a month and I've been using an old non-stick pan that has a lot of scratches...I mainly use my stainless steel pans, but I pulled this one out a few weeks ago. Looks like a trip to the store is in order. <_<

VydorScope Proficient
jerseyangel Proficient

I went to Linens & Things and got a set of their own brand of stainless steel cookware. It was a nice variety--all the pans were useful sizes. I had looked around a bit and thought the quality was good--18/10 weight with heavy copper bottoms. The whole set was, if I remember right, around $108. I opened an account that day and even got an extra % off.

dlp252 Apprentice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
I went to Linens & Things and got a set of their own brand of stainless steel cookware. It was a nice variety--all the pans were useful sizes. I had looked around a bit and thought the quality was good--18/10 weight with heavy copper bottoms. The whole set was, if I remember right, around $108. I opened an account that day and even got an extra % off.

what does 18/10 mean? :huh:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thank you sooo much for this thread! I have been wondering all along what might be making me sick when I make my gluten free New England Clam Chowder. I had been using a large Calphalon pot, but it was soo heavy and hard to clean that I switched back to an old pot I had bought at K-Mart eons ago. I dont get sick everytime, but enough to make me question my ingredients. Everytime I checked them though, they are all gluten free. All along it probably was the old pot with all the scratches in the bottom!!! Thank you again for this thread and I hope you begin to feel better too!

marciab Enthusiast

Can stainless pans retain gluten too or is it just teflon ? I know the teflon pan I used had gluten in it caused I actually tasted the cake that had been cooked in it prior, but is it possible that the stainless cookie sheet I use for my daughter's biscuits retain the gluten and are affecting my cookies ? marcia

Rachel--24 Collaborator

:lol::lol:

I thought this thread was going to be about brain-fog! Because of the brain-fog I'm constsantly asking myself "why am I still so stupid?" :unsure:

I was WAY off...anyways I have my own seperate pots and pans at my own home and for Christmas my Mom got me another set to use when I'm at her house. It works out great. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't know the techinical explanation--it has to do with the mixture of metals in the steel. I do know that 18/10 is considered the highest quality, as opposed to thinner, less substantial stainless that would be like 18/0. With my new pans, I scrub them out, and if there's room in the dishwasher, I put them through there, too. Also, since the handles are also stainless, all the pans can go into the oven. When cooking on top of the stove, the handles don't get hot--only when in the oven.

dlp252 Apprentice
Can stainless pans retain gluten too or is it just teflon ? I know the teflon pan I used had gluten in it caused I actually tasted the cake that had been cooked in it prior, but is it possible that the stainless cookie sheet I use for my daughter's biscuits retain the gluten and are affecting my cookies ? marcia

I think stainless is okay, they just have to be scrubbed well. I don't think the stainless is porous(sp??) enough to retain the gluten, so if you are cleaning them very well after making the biscuits it should be okay. I don't have a dishwasher so it seems that no matter how hard I scrub my pans I always seem to find some spot on them later, so maybe it would be a good idea to have just one cookie sheet that's dedicated to you.

chrissy Collaborator

vincent, that link is hilarious!!!! thanks for the laugh.

christine

i canary Rookie

Vincent,

I'm a little slow myself. I kept looking at the picture wondering how that could be you - and then I saw the words. It cracked me up! :P Thanks.

One of first things I had to do was throw out my expensive pots and pans because they are aluminium - not because I thought they had gluten. (I'm just not that smart) It turns out that I have aluminium toxicity (I can't manage to absorb vitamins and the good nutrients, but give me a poision and my body is all over it :wacko:

Regina

tigy Newbie

hiya

18/10 explained ....

It refers to the proportion of chromium to nickel in the stainless steel alloy. The presence of chromium enables the steel to form an invisible layer of oxide that protects it against corrosion.

:)

Archived