This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Athletes Out There Who Had To Completely Stop Being Active

lemonade

lemonade Enthusiast

Hello

Iam wondering if anyone out there is an athlete or just really active and had to stop working out or playing there sport because of celiac?

Prior to my major outburts of celiac disease, which was about 1 month ago ( i have lawys been sick, but it started to intesify, a month ago) I used to workout regularly and was super active. Now iam feeling soo tired, lathargic, and i have 0 energy. I am thin too, i lost alot of weight in the last month, approx. 10 pounds, and thats alot for me cause i was thin to begin with, iam 5'3 and 97-ish pounds. I feel sooo lazy, all i do is sit on my butt, cause i havent the energy. Does anyone feel the same way, or did feel the same way when first diagnosed?

thanks,

Lemonade

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaascr Apprentice

Yes, yes and yes...

I was where you are:

I play soccer, coach, and work out at the gym (oh and work fulltime).

With the onset of celiac disease - I lost 30lbs in a month - leaving my weight at about 99lbs

which is a tad too thin for me. I could barely get out of

bed to get to work and then I would have to leave early to go home.

I had to get a fill-in coach because I could barely stand up for any length

of time. As far as playing soccer and working out - forget it. I was too

weak to stand much less run. I also got really bad leg/foot cramps because

I wasn't absorbing any potassium.

Once diagnosed, it still took me many months before I got back to playing or

working out. Once I did, I found that I was crashing (total exhaustion).

Things I did to help along with being gluten-free:

sublingual b-complex

eat small balanced meals but more often

increase my protein intake slowly (I wasn't getting enough

and if I ate a lot - my body rejected it)

I rarely "crash" now and I usually carry food with me where ever

I go. I have many food allergies as well, so taking food with me

is a must. I also use hemp seed protein in a drink before and after work-outs

along with L-glutamine. Blue Energy is my gluten free sport drink.

It takes time to feel better and more energenic, I kept a food/supplement

journal to see what I was missing. I feel more balanced now - but I am

probably going to have some tests done to see if anything is low or out of whack

-- 'cause I have to train for the Veterans Cup in July (national soccer tournament

for the old folks).

Hope this helps some, hang in there it does get better!

dlp252 Apprentice

Yes. I work out regularly or I USED TO until the last year. I've felt so awful in the last year that it's affected my work and my work outs. Many days I was just too exhausted, some of the time it was from sinus infections, some of the time it was from joint pain, some times just felt yucky. I haven't lost weight though, I've actually gained, but hoping that will go away as I start to heal and get more active again. I'm already feeling a bit more energetic and have a lot less joint pain so I'm optimistic for the coming year.

lemonade Enthusiast
Yes. I work out regularly or I USED TO until the last year. I've felt so awful in the last year that it's affected my work and my work outs. Many days I was just too exhausted, some of the time it was from sinus infections, some of the time it was from joint pain, some times just felt yucky. I haven't lost weight though, I've actually gained, but hoping that will go away as I start to heal and get more active again. I'm already feeling a bit more energetic and have a lot less joint pain so I'm optimistic for the coming year.

thankyou both for your replies...i hate feeling so sick ;(

lemonade

dlp252 Apprentice
thankyou both for your replies...i hate feeling so sick ;(

You're welcome...I hate it too!

rmmadden Contributor

This thread sounds so familiar. I had asked about the same thing last year when I first came down with celiac disease symptoms.

It's a good suggestion to take the liquid vitamins (B complex and others) as they not only get into your system but, do so quicker than tablets. I also started eating smaller meals more frequently throughtout the day. I also carry energy bars or fruit with me when I go out.

After time you will slowly start to see improvement where you can resume physical activity. This past summer I played co-ed softball (1x / wk) and golf. I would get tired but I was able to enjoy it.

Keep your chin-up.....You will get better!

Cleveland Bob B)

gointribal Enthusiast

my arms and legs fall asleep all the time, my hands are always cold and I too am tired. I go to school full time and work about 20hrs a week, I try to stay active to keep my self going but it seems I am still tired. I'm wondering if I don't eat right or get the right kind of vitamins? Are one-a-day vitamins ok for celiacs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Yup... I used to work out 5x a week, but after going gluten-free actually, my workouts were pretty sporadic...just whenver I had the energy. I am one year gluten-free now, and the past 2 months I have started to get the energy back and kickin on the workouts again. Some have quicker progress than me, others similar...but you should notice some improvement soon. As was mentioned, get rest, take the vitamins, eat well....and be patient...you'll get there! :D

Rusla Enthusiast

I used to race walk, swim and do kick boxing. It all started back just before the Pernicious Anemia 8 years ago. I have not had the energy since. I so want to get back into it but I feel so sucked down. It is getting slightly better but not a lot but then it has only been two months gluten-free.

par18 Apprentice
Hello

Iam wondering if anyone out there is an athlete or just really active and had to stop working out or playing there sport because of celiac?

Prior to my major outburts of celiac disease, which was about 1 month ago ( i have lawys been sick, but it started to intesify, a month ago) I used to workout regularly and was super active. Now iam feeling soo tired, lathargic, and i have 0 energy. I am thin too, i lost alot of weight in the last month, approx. 10 pounds, and thats alot for me cause i was thin to begin with, iam 5'3 and 97-ish pounds. I feel sooo lazy, all i do is sit on my butt, cause i havent the energy. Does anyone feel the same way, or did feel the same way when first diagnosed?

thanks,

Lemonade

Your situation was very similiar to mine. When diagnosed nine months ago I was about 30 lbs underweight and very weak. I spent the first 6 weeks gaining back some weight ( 10 lbs) just so I could be active again. I did not try to do too much too fast. I am a very avid golfer and missed the game very much. After 6 weeks on diet I started riding nine holes every few days. I then went to 18 holes riding. Then nine riding and nine walking. Today I walk 18 holes almost every day. I gained back about 35 pounds and feel very fit. In the beginning I had to force myself to eat because I could not exercise to stimulate my appetite. To me it was a Catch-22 situation. Same thing with sleep. No exercise meant I was not tired physically. The anxiety would keep me awake for hours. All this was corrected with physical activity. You might try short walks in the beginning. This will also help with the digestive process of the food you eat. Hope this helps.

Tom

julie5914 Contributor

Yeah, it all came to a head and I started looking for a diagnosis of SOMETHING other than IBS after I finished a half marathon. Before that race I worked out 5 days a week. Now I can do yoga one day a week, and that is pushing it. It's a year since the race, 6 months gluten free. I hate it too - I miss working out and feeling strong. I didn't lose weight, and I didn't gain weight much. I just feel swollen and inflamed all over, esp. if I try to do some walking or cardio. I worked out because I thought I was doing something good for myself, but now I have to remind myself that I am doing more good just by letting my body rest and heal.

key Contributor

I think that walking is a wonderful way to get out even when we aren't feeling like exercising hardcore. Getting outdoors and fresh air is very important for your energy too. Even when I don't feel very energetic, I walk at whatever pace I have the energy for. I feel better now and I run sometimes and speed walk some too. I also work out with lightweights for my arms. Like someone said, It is a "Catch 22", because lack of exercise for me makes me more lethargic, but you don't want to over do it at this point in your life. Try and eat as nutritionally as you can and drink lots of water.

It will get better with time. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Monica

lemonade Enthusiast
Yeah, it all came to a head and I started looking for a diagnosis of SOMETHING other than IBS after I finished a half marathon. Before that race I worked out 5 days a week. Now I can do yoga one day a week, and that is pushing it. It's a year since the race, 6 months gluten free. I hate it too - I miss working out and feeling strong. I didn't lose weight, and I didn't gain weight much. I just feel swollen and inflamed all over, esp. if I try to do some walking or cardio. I worked out because I thought I was doing something good for myself, but now I have to remind myself that I am doing more good just by letting my body rest and heal.

hey Julie,

thanks for your reply. I appreciate the support. How do you feel now? do you workout now???

Lemonade

Archived