This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eye Tic?

eleep

eleep Enthusiast

I have an on/off again twitch in my left eye which tends to show up at times when I've been eating a lot of gluten -- these also tend to be higher-stress times because that's when I've been more likely to grab sandwiches and cook pasta than put on a pot of bean soup.

In the process of getting tests done and whatnot, I've been eating a bit more gluten -- at the rate of about one peanut-butter-on-wheat sandwich a day (which makes me feel really really lousy) -- although I've been trying to de-stress and take it easy as much as I can with the awareness that I won't feel sick forever.

The eye tic has come back with a vengeance-- does anyone else have this symptom? Most of my celiac disease-like symptoms seem to be more neurological in any case -- but I'm working with a GI doctor right now. Once I get a diagnosis, should I see a neurologist? Could this just be stress?

Thanks

Erica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

OMG! I haven't heard anyone else mention this one before but I get a very annoying eye tic! Used to be really bad before going gluten-free, but I do still get it from time to time (probably because I'm still being contaminated by McD's fries :angry: )

jenvan Collaborator

Is this what you guys are talking about--go here and look at 1st definition: Open Original Shared Link I get those from time to time when I am rundown. I think its another medical mystery like the hiccups :)

jerseyangel Proficient
OMG! I haven't heard anyone else mention this one before but I get a very annoying eye tic! Used to be really bad before going gluten-free, but I do still get it from time to time (probably because I'm still being contaminated by McD's fries :angry: )

Me too--exactly! When I get one, it can last 2 or 3 days. And it's always in my left eye.

elonwy Enthusiast

thats crazy. I didn't even notice that was gone. I used to get that all the time when I was tired or felt crappy, and I haven't noticed it in a long time. I bet there was a connection. My light sensitivity is getting better too.

Our bodies are really weird.

Elonwy

jams Explorer

I get a twitch in my left temple. It comes when I have been glutened or when I am stressed. It is very obnoxious though!!

lonewolf Collaborator

Oh wow, I had forgotten all about that. I used to get a "tic" in my left eyelid quite often - I always called it a "twitch". I haven't had it at all since I went firmly gluten-free a few months ago - and hadn't even thought about it. What weird symptoms we all seem to share!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I had completely forgotten about that. I had a twitch in my left eye a year and a half ago that literally lasted about 5 or 6 weeks. I've had twitches at other times, but none that persisted for more than a couple days. I would never have attributed it to celiac disease and still probably wouldn't, but it's odd to see this post. I'm pretty sure mine was in my left eye as well.

gabby Enthusiast

Add me to the left-eye-twitch club. Mine started in August 05 around the same time I had a root canal done on my upper left last molar...so I thought it was related. The twitch happens all the time (and I am as gluten free as possible). I haven't been able to pinpoint what makes it worse.

Could you guys all describe your twitch? Mine is in the lower lid and feels more like a grabbing or pulling. It is MASSIVELY annoying.

HAs anyone had this in their right eye? We could be on to something here....

jerseyangel Proficient

Gabby--mine is always in the left eye. It is like the lower, outside corner of my eye twitches upward. Annoying, indeed!

• 11 months later...
ReneCox Contributor

same thing here ...always in left eye!

gf4life Enthusiast

I must be wierd. My twitch is always in my right eye. I don't know if mine is directly gluten related, or due to a deficiency of something (still somewhat gluten related). I had the twich after going gluten free, but I believe it was due to calcium deficiency. I took calcium supplements for a long time and then seemed to be fine without the supplements once my absorbtion was normal.

Recently I had a bad series of glutenings (starting on Dec.16-Dec.21st) and noticed the twitches started about 2 weeks ago. Still could be a delayed effect from the December glutenings. I am being really careful right now, since I don't want to get glutened again, so I know it isn't a new glutening...

lorna Rookie
Me too--exactly! When I get one, it can last 2 or 3 days. And it's always in my left eye.

I can't believe this!!!!!!!! I have had a twitch in my ee on and of for the last year and am still waiting to be diagnosed

Electra Enthusiast
I have an on/off again twitch in my left eye which tends to show up at times when I've been eating a lot of gluten -- these also tend to be higher-stress times because that's when I've been more likely to grab sandwiches and cook pasta than put on a pot of bean soup.

In the process of getting tests done and whatnot, I've been eating a bit more gluten -- at the rate of about one peanut-butter-on-wheat sandwich a day (which makes me feel really really lousy) -- although I've been trying to de-stress and take it easy as much as I can with the awareness that I won't feel sick forever.

The eye tic has come back with a vengeance-- does anyone else have this symptom? Most of my celiac disease-like symptoms seem to be more neurological in any case -- but I'm working with a GI doctor right now. Once I get a diagnosis, should I see a neurologist? Could this just be stress?

Thanks

Erica

Yup I used to get them too. I also started getting them in my sides around the bottom of my ribs. Man those were so annoying. Since going gluten free I haven't had any ticks, but I still occassionally have a prickly finger tip (which is a tell tale sign I've been accidentally glutened)!!

jesscarmel Enthusiast

i have an eye tic too but mine is more of a hard bling, mostly in my right eye. my dr said it is caused by anxiety??!! i was hoping it would get better maybe with being gluten-free

prinsessa Contributor

I had an eye tick that last for a few months and then went away right before going gluten free. I was really annoying. I hope yours goes away soon!

rumbles Newbie

The timing of this topic is almost scary! I've been having a pretty persistent twitch / spasm in my left upper eyelid for almost three weeks now, ~ most annoying! :( I realized a couple of days ago that it's getting worse, and seems to be at it's peak about an hour after taking vitamins, - so I've cut out added vitamins A and zinc the last two days, and it's seems to have eased up quite a bit, - it went from almost constant to almost gone. I guess I've still got issues with chemical balance.

wowzer Community Regular

I used to have that happen in my left eye also. It is interesting to hear different symptoms. I went on the gluten free diet hoping to get rid of itching. Nice to know there are more benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
confused Community Regular
i have an eye tic too but mine is more of a hard bling, mostly in my right eye. my dr said it is caused by anxiety??!! i was hoping it would get better maybe with being gluten-free

I know this an old post, but i was so amazed to hear that the eye tic might be related to celiac. i have hed them for years now and they bug the heck out of me, i was told it was from being on the puter and straining my eyes. Mine has always been on my right eye tho. After seeing this i bet it was from celiac not puter strain. I will have to keep an eye on it now.

paula

Guest Greggy
I know this an old post, but i was so amazed to hear that the eye tic might be related to celiac. i have hed them for years now and they bug the heck out of me, i was told it was from being on the puter and straining my eyes. Mine has always been on my right eye tho. After seeing this i bet it was from celiac not puter strain. I will have to keep an eye on it now.

paula

New guy here gets the eye tick too!!

marciab Enthusiast

I get these in my right eye. And they are sooo annoying ... Marcia

Rebecca47 Contributor

Count me in I have a twitchy left eye also. They are so weird. Anyway twitch on all. ;):ph34r:

wacky~jackie Rookie

When I was having this problem (before going gluten-free) my chiropractor suggested Vitamin B Complex and it helped. Maybe because of the malabsorption? BTW it was in my left eye too and I haven't had a problem since going gluten-free.

flowergirl Rookie

I had twitchy left eye too. It was horrible and dibilitating. It was particularly bad in times of stress and anxiety and now that I look back on it, it was definately brought on by gluten. Since going gluten-free, I haven't had one day of twitching. Thank God!

Archived