#1 Modism

Modism

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the boards, I found this site yesterday when I was looking for a good recipe for gluten free gnocchi. Yum yum.

So, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance less than a month ago. (well, actually not really.) I forced my GP to give me a blood test for celiac disease, the test results... well. Both my IgA levels were normal, my IgG levels though were sky high. So, my GP is like, meh, whatever you don't have anything. After suffering all my life with IBS, I did not like this answer. I want to find out what my problem is! So, I got a second opinion and that doctor said I could have celiac disease, so I'm on a gluten free diet. I'm vegan as well, so I haven't been on dairy and all that for 10 years, so I know that's not the problem.

So, my problem is that on this gluten free diet, my isomnia has gotten 10x worse. My doctor (the 2nd opinion one) says it's my cortisol levels, they're all out of whack. Like, they're high during the night and low during the day. Does anybody know a way to naturally lower them during the night and raise them during the day? I can't fall asleep till after 4am and I'm constantly tired. I do suffer from fatigue (due to the IBS) so, I get B12 shots, but they don't seem to be helping.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the cortisol/fatigue issue that'd be great.

Also, to Celiacs, what did your blood tests say? I want to get a colonoscopy done to make sure. (I got diagnosed with IBS without it, they did some stomach endoscopes and intestinal x-rays instead). The blood test cost over $200, and I don't want to pay the money for a biopsy. I can't afford it. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eleep

eleep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

I don't know about how to deal with a reversal of cortisol patterns, but I do know that regular exercise (especially aerobic exercise) can help to manage high cortisol levels. Basically, anything that's good for dealing with anxiety -- meditation, exercise, etc.... will help regulate cortisol levels. Maybe this will also help you to reset your natural rhythms.
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#3 ruthellen

ruthellen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:42 AM

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the boards, I found this site yesterday when I was looking for a good recipe for gluten free gnocchi. Yum yum.

So, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance less than a month ago. (well, actually not really.) I forced my GP to give me a blood test for celiac disease, the test results... well. Both my IgA levels were normal, my IgG levels though were sky high. So, my GP is like, meh, whatever you don't have anything. After suffering all my life with IBS, I did not like this answer. I want to find out what my problem is! So, I got a second opinion and that doctor said I could have celiac disease, so I'm on a gluten free diet. I'm vegan as well, so I haven't been on dairy and all that for 10 years, so I know that's not the problem.

So, my problem is that on this gluten free diet, my isomnia has gotten 10x worse. My doctor (the 2nd opinion one) says it's my cortisol levels, they're all out of whack. Like, they're high during the night and low during the day. Does anybody know a way to naturally lower them during the night and raise them during the day? I can't fall asleep till after 4am and I'm constantly tired. I do suffer from fatigue (due to the IBS) so, I get B12 shots, but they don't seem to be helping.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the cortisol/fatigue issue that'd be great.

Also, to Celiacs, what did your blood tests say? I want to get a colonoscopy done to make sure. (I got diagnosed with IBS without it, they did some stomach endoscopes and intestinal x-rays instead). The blood test cost over $200, and I don't want to pay the money for a biopsy. I can't afford it. :P

You may want to read up on folic acid for the control of your cortisol level.
Also you mention getting a colonoscopy to check the celiac disease diagnosis; actually they can't tell doing a biopsy that way only going through the mouth and stomach (encoscopy) and doing a biopsy in the intestines that way
ruth

Hello everyone!

#4 Modism

Modism

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I guess I should look more into the B vitamins, I suppose getting B12 shots isn't always enough. If I was low on B12 levels it could be very well possible that I'm deficient for folic acid as well.

And to ruth, I don't really understand your response about the colonoscopy... can you please explain further?

#5 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

I have HORRIBLE insomnia. Especially since going gluten-free, too. I hadn't really thought about it until I read your thread. In the past, I've had low DHEA and high cortisol levels (they have a converse relationship) -- and had to have B12 injections -- didn't think about the cortisol issue. Think I will ask my endocrinologist about testing for those -- I'm having a bunch of bloodwork done next visit anyway, why not a little more???? Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: