Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Insomnia/cortisol Levels

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the boards, I found this site yesterday when I was looking for a good recipe for gluten free gnocchi. Yum yum.

So, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance less than a month ago. (well, actually not really.) I forced my GP to give me a blood test for celiac disease, the test results... well. Both my IgA levels were normal, my IgG levels though were sky high. So, my GP is like, meh, whatever you don't have anything. After suffering all my life with IBS, I did not like this answer. I want to find out what my problem is! So, I got a second opinion and that doctor said I could have celiac disease, so I'm on a gluten free diet. I'm vegan as well, so I haven't been on dairy and all that for 10 years, so I know that's not the problem.

So, my problem is that on this gluten free diet, my isomnia has gotten 10x worse. My doctor (the 2nd opinion one) says it's my cortisol levels, they're all out of whack. Like, they're high during the night and low during the day. Does anybody know a way to naturally lower them during the night and raise them during the day? I can't fall asleep till after 4am and I'm constantly tired. I do suffer from fatigue (due to the IBS) so, I get B12 shots, but they don't seem to be helping.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the cortisol/fatigue issue that'd be great.

Also, to Celiacs, what did your blood tests say? I want to get a colonoscopy done to make sure. (I got diagnosed with IBS without it, they did some stomach endoscopes and intestinal x-rays instead). The blood test cost over $200, and I don't want to pay the money for a biopsy. I can't afford it. :P

Ads by Google:

I don't know about how to deal with a reversal of cortisol patterns, but I do know that regular exercise (especially aerobic exercise) can help to manage high cortisol levels. Basically, anything that's good for dealing with anxiety -- meditation, exercise, etc.... will help regulate cortisol levels. Maybe this will also help you to reset your natural rhythms.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the boards, I found this site yesterday when I was looking for a good recipe for gluten free gnocchi. Yum yum.

So, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance less than a month ago. (well, actually not really.) I forced my GP to give me a blood test for celiac disease, the test results... well. Both my IgA levels were normal, my IgG levels though were sky high. So, my GP is like, meh, whatever you don't have anything. After suffering all my life with IBS, I did not like this answer. I want to find out what my problem is! So, I got a second opinion and that doctor said I could have celiac disease, so I'm on a gluten free diet. I'm vegan as well, so I haven't been on dairy and all that for 10 years, so I know that's not the problem.

So, my problem is that on this gluten free diet, my isomnia has gotten 10x worse. My doctor (the 2nd opinion one) says it's my cortisol levels, they're all out of whack. Like, they're high during the night and low during the day. Does anybody know a way to naturally lower them during the night and raise them during the day? I can't fall asleep till after 4am and I'm constantly tired. I do suffer from fatigue (due to the IBS) so, I get B12 shots, but they don't seem to be helping.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the cortisol/fatigue issue that'd be great.

Also, to Celiacs, what did your blood tests say? I want to get a colonoscopy done to make sure. (I got diagnosed with IBS without it, they did some stomach endoscopes and intestinal x-rays instead). The blood test cost over $200, and I don't want to pay the money for a biopsy. I can't afford it. :P

You may want to read up on folic acid for the control of your cortisol level.

Also you mention getting a colonoscopy to check the celiac disease diagnosis; actually they can't tell doing a biopsy that way only going through the mouth and stomach (encoscopy) and doing a biopsy in the intestines that way

ruth

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I guess I should look more into the B vitamins, I suppose getting B12 shots isn't always enough. If I was low on B12 levels it could be very well possible that I'm deficient for folic acid as well.

And to ruth, I don't really understand your response about the colonoscopy... can you please explain further?

I have HORRIBLE insomnia. Especially since going gluten-free, too. I hadn't really thought about it until I read your thread. In the past, I've had low DHEA and high cortisol levels (they have a converse relationship) -- and had to have B12 injections -- didn't think about the cortisol issue. Think I will ask my endocrinologist about testing for those -- I'm having a bunch of bloodwork done next visit anyway, why not a little more???? Lynne