This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probitics Question

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

None of the probiotics I've taken have made too much of a difference. I recently found out I have at least one bacteria infection so that may be why nothings helped. I start treatment w/ antibiotics next week and want to take a really good probiotic. I've heard Culturelle is good. Anyone know where I can get some? If you know of another brand which is equally good or better let me know. It doesnt have to be Culturelle....just want something potent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I've been taking probiotics for a couple of years now, but I have to say I've never really noticed that they "do" anything. I've been on so many rounds of antibiotics that I just continually take the good stuff too just to repopulate my gut. I was taking NOW brand, but it didn't state specifically on the label that it was dairy free so I recently switched to Country Life PowerDophilus. The breakdown is:

Lactobacillus rhamnosus 4.2 billion

Lactobacillus acidophilus 3.6 billion

Bifidobacterium lactis (bifidum) 3 billion

Bifidobacterium longum 1.2 billion

Other ingredients include maltodextrin, cellulose (capsule shell), cellulose, magnesium stearate, silica.

It has no yeast, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, starch, preservatives or artificial color.

So, I'm not sure I feel any difference taking it, but I take it to help my gut. I found them at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section.

floridanative Community Regular

I started taking Culterelle Sunday. The Celiac expert I saw speak Saturday says Celiacs need probiotics for life due to issues with too much sugar in our diets. I plan to ask the dietician to explain this further. The doc said she likes Culterelle b/c they are easy to travel with (no refridg. needed). I found them for $20 for a 30 day supply at Walgreen's but they also carry them for CVS - $22 for same box.

Also, the doc mentioned that some people (not all) have a bad problem with gas when they start the probiotics. She promised this would pass in a few days. I have so far had no issues with that (knock wood).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hmmm...maybe I'll check that one out on my weekly trip to Whole Foods.

I wonder what makes some probiotics better than others? I recall reading that some probiotics don't even contain any living organisms in them...so you can take them all day long but nothing will happen cuz they're totally useless.

I wanna make sure whatever brand I get has good *living* bacteria in them...although I have no idea how that would be determined. <_<

I started taking Culterelle Sunday. The Celiac expert I saw speak Saturday says Celiacs need probiotics for life due to issues with too much sugar in our diets. I plan to ask the dietician to explain this further. The doc said she likes Culterelle b/c they are easy to travel with (no refridg. needed). I found them for $20 for a 30 day supply at Walgreen's but they also carry them for CVS - $22 for same box.

Thanks Floridanative,

I thought it was gonna be hard to find but its at Walgreens....thats easy enough. I always thought the refridgerated ones were better but who knows. I think Culterelle is suppossed to be a good brand so I'll have to compare between that and the one previously mentioned.

More suggestions are welcome :)

johanna Newbie

You can order Culturelle online if you just do a search. I order it online b/c they have two formulations--one with gelatin caps and one with microcellulose, and if I take too many gelatin capsules they make me sick. I've never seen Culturelle at a health food store, but I hear they carry them at Walgreens.

Culturelle and VSL3 are the only probiotics that have made a difference for me. Both improve my acne, reduce environmental sensitivities, and help me tolerate more foods. But with VSL3 it took me a while to get used to it--my heart rate went up and I had trouble sleeping for a while. So even though it's really effective, it can be hard to adjust to.

Question: why do Celiacs always have a problem with too much sugar in the gut?

Guest nini

I take a digestive enzyme with probiotics from the Isotonix line from Market America... I think it works well for me...

Moongirl Community Regular

speaking of probiotics, im not sure if i should take some..., my dr prescribed me keflex, an antibiotic, (for my throat) im kind of hesitant to take it cause im only 2 months into my diet and im having some issues with pain around my belly and stomach area....and i dont want it to get worse...any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

floridanative Community Regular

johanna - if I understood the docs point about sugar it was that the 'replacement' foods many Celiacs eat (gr bread, cookies, etc.) have more sugar or fructose in them than their gluten couterparts. So my guess is that if one doesn't eat a whole lot of those replacement foods, one may not need a probiotic. I don't see the dietician for three weeks but this is one of my questions for her. If she sheds any light on the situtation I'll be sure and post it here.

lorka150 Collaborator

I take the dairy free BioK.

lamood Newbie

My daughter had to take culturelle, it was over the counter at Wallgreens. The doctor had us open the capsul and put the powder into her applesauce or soy yogurt.

We just got a dairy free probiotic for her at the health store that has to be refrigerated, which is probably not good for someone if they are on the go.

She had a lot of bloody mucos before taking the probiotics and she did finally clear up.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks everyone for your input.

I just bought Primadophilus Reuteri by Nature Made. I was checking out the C-Diff support forum since I just dx'd with having C-Diff infection. It seemed like alot of people were recommending this probiotic and I happened to see it at the grocery store today so I'll give it a try.

Its got Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus rueteri & Lactobacillus acidophilus.

It says it improves intestinal cell structure (longer villi). I'm all for having longer villi so I'm sold. :D

I also had Country Life acidophilus in my fridge which I forgot about so Ill take that too.

Jenn2005 Contributor

Rachel - Which grocery store did you find the Primadophilos Reuteri at? Is it liquid or capsule? Does it have to be refridgerated? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

Jennifer

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel - Which grocery store did you find the Primadophilos Reuteri at? Is it liquid or capsule? Does it have to be refridgerated? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

Jennifer

Jennifer, I got it at Raley's. I'm in CA so I dont know if you have Raley's in your area. It comes in capsules and it was in the refridgerated health section of the store. Raleys has alot of health food and even a glutenfree section. :)

Jenn2005 Contributor

Thanks Rachel. I have never seen a rally's around here but I have seen many products by Nature Made so I'm going to see if the Health Food Store I shop at can order them (if they don't have them in stock I've never noticed). I'm glad to hear they are refridgerated. I read somewhere that the better probiotics have to be refridgerated and I can't find where I read it but I remember it. Let us know if you notice anything good from them. I'm going to try and get some tomorrow for my husband.

Jennifer

marciab Enthusiast

I wonder what makes some probiotics better than others? I recall reading that some probiotics don't even contain any living organisms in them...so you can take them all day long but nothing will happen cuz they're totally useless.

I wanna make sure whatever brand I get has good *living* bacteria in them...although I have no idea how that would be determined.

Rachel,

I read the same thing. And I've never felt any better from taking probiotics. I posted a question about using Kefir because I thought it might be a better form of probiotics. I was thinking that at least with Kefir you know it has been refrigerated the whole time. With capsules you really never know. I saw where you purchased a probiotic, and was wondering if you ever got an answer to the questions you posted above ?

THanks marcia

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I read the same thing. And I've never felt any better from taking probiotics. I posted a question about using Kefir because I thought it might be a better form of probiotics. I was thinking that at least with Kefir you know it has been refrigerated the whole time. With capsules you really never know. I saw where you purchased a probiotic, and was wondering if you ever got an answer to the questions you posted above ?

I never really got an answer to the questions. As far as Kefir I'm told making your own is the best. For me I cant take the storebought stuff because its too much sugar and I dont want to bother making my own. I saw a poll on another forum titled "which probiotic worked for you". Since many people mentioned getting positive results from the Primodophilus Reuteri...I chose that one.

Someone told me that if I were to have a bacteria infection or parasite the probiotics wont make a difference. I ended up having the C-Diff infection so maybe I'll get better results when that is taken care of....will have to wait and see.

marciab Enthusiast

Rachel,

I noticed that the Kefir at Publix was a smoothie and had lots of sugar in it, so I was going to look at my health food store. I tried making my own yogurt 30 years ago and got food poisoning, so I'm leary about trying to make my own Kefir. But, I really don't know enough about making my own to decide at this point.

"Someone told me that if I were to have a bacteria infection or parasite the probiotics wont make a difference. I ended up having the C-Diff infection so maybe I'll get better results when that is taken care of....will have to wait and see. "

Sorry to hear about your infection. Good luck with it ....

I tried Danactive today again. I got "D" the last time I tried it, but wasn't sure if it was just that I drank 2 in a row. The cramping started immediately this time. I think I might puke ...... Lactaid didn't help either.

I wrote down the primodopholous reuteri so I can check it out. Let me know what you think when you try it ....

marcia

Becky6 Enthusiast

I use the CVS formula that is comparative to culturelle and it was $4.99 for 100 pills! It is free of gluten and other things.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I tried Danactive today again. I got "D" the last time I tried it, but wasn't sure if it was just that I drank 2 in a row. The cramping started immediately this time. I think I might puke ...... Lactaid didn't help either.

Marcia,

What is Danactive? Is it a probiotic?

marciab Enthusiast

Rachel,

Danactive is a probiotic produced by Dannon and found right next to the yogurt. And I can get it at walmart or publix here in Fl. It has 10 times more cultures than yogurt. THe first ingredient is cultured non fat milk. They say it is clinically proven to improve your body's natural defenses. The website is www.danactive.com. I drank the "lite" yesterday, to cut back on sugar (only 5 g). I assumed it was gluten free, but now I am wondering. I'm bummed that it is upset my stomach. My doc had told me that Yogurt might be ok, even if dairy wasn't because the process kills some of the enzymes people have a problem with. So far, I like all the flavors.

Good luck marcia

Archived