20 replies to this topic

#16 Mom22

Mom22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:49 AM

:D For those of you who may live in Pennsylvania/Maryland area, Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the CFCR (Center for Celiac Research) at the University of Maryland will be on television this week. He will be discussing celiac disease on the morning news program of Fox 45, Thursday, May 6 at approximately 8:30 AM.

Mom 2 2

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kyss

kyss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

Mom22,

I am so glad I came across your recent update. I know that I will be requesting a second opinion as well tomorrow and maybe there will be answers. I cut the GI doc I had seen out of the picture today. I had my daughters blood test drawn at the pediatric office I work at and the results will come to her PCP. So I will request a second opinion on the biopsy tomorrow.....I am glad things are getting better for you...and thank you for giving me the information to check further into the HLA and second opinion. My mother,sister,2aunts and myself are all positive and I find it hard to believe my kids are negative with all their symptoms....

Thanks so much!
Kelly :P

#18 Mom22

Mom22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:08 AM

Hi Kelly!

Glad to hear that you are getting a 2nd opinion too and hope you get the answers you are looking for. Keep us updated!

Take care

Mom 2 2
Pamela :D

#19 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

It's so good to hear positive things about Dr. Fasano, I'm seeing him in July and am hoping he can shed some light on why I'm not as much improved as I should be after 9 months gluten-free!

#20 Mom22

Mom22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:31 AM

Good luck, Gillian. I just called University of Maryland to see how far ahead they are scheduling for Dr. Fasano and can get an apppointment for my husband in September. Everything has been sent to them for the 2nd opinion for our daughter's biopsy slides.

#21 Mom22

Mom22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:56 PM

I posted lasted week and will paste that post at the bottom to refresh what had occurred. We finally got our answer. Our daughter definately has celiac disease. I have nothing but admiration for Dr. Fasano. I called his office last week to see if he would do a 2nd opinion. I forwarded a release to the hospital where our daughter had the biopsy to send the slides to Dr. Fasano so he could read them. I just received a telephone call from his lab supervisor that he had just read the biopsy slides and they are consistent with celiac disease. I am amazed that in 1 week we received an answer. Our daughter will not have to be rebiopsied in August. So, long story short, both our children have confirmed celiac and my husband is still not confirmed. We are actually going to see Dr. Fasano in September for my husband that date just happens to be our 16th wedding anniversary. We cancelled his appointment that was close to our home. We just want to see the best in our area. Thanks for reading. ;)

Mom 2 2 celiac children (age 9 son, age 4 daughter)

My previous post:
I got a call from my daughter's pediatric gastroentrologist that her biopsy results are inconspicuous. Some of the villi are damaged, but others are fine/negative. They want her to start a gluten-free diet for 3 months and will rebiopsy in August. If the 2nd biopsy shows negative because she is on a gluten-free diet, then she does have celiac. I'm very confused by this. I thought you either were or weren't, not probable. I had prepared myself for a positive result and now feel as though we are on the fence. Our 9 year old son is positive for celiac via biopsy and our daughter was first tested by blood tests and her IGG/IGA/TTG were all positive. Then we get the biopsy results and I am feeling confused and overwhelmed. My husband's blood tests were inconclusive as positive IGG/IGA and TTG was negative. They have just done an HLA test and we are awaiting the results of that. Any insight by anyone would be greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: