23 replies to this topic

#1 julie5914

julie5914

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

I seem to react to vinegar, almost every time, and strongly. Could this be a gluten reaction?

I also seem to react to alchohol made from grain and rice dream milk.

Just wondering if is just a sensitivity to vinegar or if I am actually damaging myself.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

P.S - I know malt vinegar is bad news - I'm talking about when it just says plain 'ol vinegar on the label.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

Julie--Rice Dream contains gluten. I believe it's from barley used in the production. I know most, but not all vinegars are ok, gluten wise. Malt and apple cider FLAVORED being the exceptions. I use apple cider vinegar with no problems. Could it be the acid you react to?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, It could very likely be the acid. I mentioned Rice Dream because I have read that they believe the distilling process gets out the barley, but that it has been found at .002% I think in some samples. So I guess I am skeptical of the idea that the distillation process in any case can actually remove all gluten.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

Julie-It seems from my reading on this board, there are a "select" bunch :D of Celiacs who cannot tolerate distilled alcohols and vinegars. Most people can. However, some vinegars are not made from wheat---I'm pretty sure Heinz vinegar is made from corn?

I just looked it up on the Heinz page:
Heinz Ketchup does not contain any gluten (the distilled vinegar used is from corn sources). Also, Wine Vinegar, Distilled White Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar are gluten-free. Please note that Heinz Organic Ketchup and Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar are not gluten-free.

So, it might be the type/source of vinegar you are using, or a non-gluten related issue? Those are my two conclusions.

Hope you figure it out, girl!

#6 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

I cannot tolerate any vinegar, even rice vinegar (I made my own mayo and mustard trying to find a way around my problems and that didn't help either), and I cannot tolerate any grain alchohls.

My problem is yeast though, I think. There is yeast in the vinegar process - I read that in one of my many early searches - on a candida site. I am guessing, that is the problem with the alchohl too. I can have tequilla which is not made from grain and potato vodka, in small amounts.

I know I cannot have yeast, not even ripe fruit - same reaction as wine and vinegar. The last time I had a yeast bread, I passed out for 4 hours and was groggy for days - in addition to the tummy problems.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#7 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Gasp - Yes! When I have one too many cherries or blueberries I get stomach cramps and run to the BR. Cherries are the worst though for me. Probably over 5 and I am done for.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago

#8 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

Rice Dream milk does have barley or malt in it although it is not on the package. I suggest going to their website as they list each item and what it
contains.
http://www.imaginefoods.com/
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

If you're reacting to all distilled vinegars or "vinegar," then it's not gluten. Very, very, very, very few vinegars are made from wheat.

richard

#10 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

I agree with Richard. I thought vinegars were made without gluten -- I was under the impression that the only ones which were questionable were "Malt Vinegar" (obviously) and "Balsalmic Vinegar". . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

I agree with Richard. I thought vinegars were made without gluten -- I was under the impression that the only ones which were questionable were "Malt Vinegar" (obviously) and "Balsalmic Vinegar". . . . Lynne

balsamic vinegar is only questionable if it's not real balsamic and has added ingredients. balsamic vinegar is made like grapes, in a process very similar to wine making. it doesn't come from a grain.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that . . . I didn't know that! I love Balsamic vinegar, too -- you've made me really happy! :) . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#13 Timber4est

Timber4est

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Heinz apple cider vinegar is not gluten-free according to their website. I have found many vinegars that are not really gluten-free so make sure you hit the corporate websites prior to using vinegars. I havent found a apple cider vinegar yet that was gluten-free in the standard store.

Deborah
Diagnosed January 2006 after a 35 year battle.

Interested in a Gluten-Free Cruise symposium style? Visit the following link to give your input:

Gluten Free Cruise vacation and lecture series idea

#14 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Heinz apple cider vinegar IS gluten-free -- it's the apple cider FLAVORED vinegar that isn't gluten-free. There'sa big difference; the flavored vinegar isn't really made with apple cider. Real apple cider vinegar is without exception gluten-free, even in the standard store. I've never found one that isn't gluten-free. If you have found real apple cider vinegars that aren't gluten-free please tell us which ones.

richard

#15 Mike12345

Mike12345

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

Heinz apple cider vinegar is not gluten-free according to their website. I have found many vinegars that are not really gluten-free so make sure you hit the corporate websites prior to using vinegars. I havent found a apple cider vinegar yet that was gluten-free in the standard store.

Deborah

FWIW, I recently read some info concerning vinegar. Just did a search and found the Web site that published the info: http://www.nowheat.c...imer/iheard.htm

"In the United States, almost all distilled vinegar comes from corn, not wheat. In the rare instances where wheat is the original source of the distilled alcohol that gets fermented into vinegar, the distillation process will remove all appreciable amounts of gluten (gliaden, peptide chains). A "mother" is added to the distilled alcohol to begin the process of fermentation, but research and interviews with industry experts (including the provider of vinegar to Heinz) indicate that gluten-containing ingredients are not used in this "mother" -- so distilled vinegar is safe. Please note that most vinegar listed on ingredients list is not distilled vinegar."

"If food manufactured in the United States has vinegar listed as an ingredient, where just the word "vinegar" appears between commas (for example, "Ingredients: water, vinegar, tomato paste)" the FDA's Compliance Policy Guide for Vinegar requires that the vinegar must be apple cider vinegar. So if you see just "vinegar" listed as an ingredient (not "malt vinegar" or any other modification), the vinegar is apple cider vinegar."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: