23 replies to this topic

#16 julie5914

julie5914

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Now THAT is good know. I have never liked apples - perhaps they are my problem. Strange thing is that like baked apples and applesauce. But usually apple juice makes me feel a little unhappy, and I hate apples raw. Good to know it is not gluten though. As long as there is no damage occuring, I can deal.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

I seem to react to vinegar, almost every time, and strongly. Could this be a gluten reaction?

I also seem to react to alchohol made from grain and rice dream milk.

Just wondering if is just a sensitivity to vinegar or if I am actually damaging myself.

trust your body!
:)

#18 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:23 AM

No matter what your friend told you, if the grain vinegar is made from something other than wheat (almost no distilled vinegar is made from wheat), there is absolutely no way there can be gluten in it. You might react to it in some fashion but it is NOT a gluten reaction because there is no gluten. Take Heinz white or distilled vinegar for instance. It's made from corn (which, by the way, is a grain). There's no wheat, rye, barley or oats anywhere in the process. Your body might not like the vinegar but whatever is happening, it's NOT because of gluten.

The same is true with some alcohols. Smirnoff vodka is made from corn. No wheat, rye, barley or oats. So if you react to Smirnoff, it's most definitely not because of gluten.

If you've decided not to eat anything at all with vinegar in it, that's your choice, but it most certainly is not a gluten issue. I don't know of a single mayo, ketchup or mustard made with vinegar from wheat.

I'm not saying you don't react in some way and I'm not saying that others don't have trouble with some distilled products, but please, please don't confuse people by telling them that all grain vinegars and alcohols have or could have gluten. It's simply not true.

richard

#19 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:21 AM

No matter what your friend told you, if the grain vinegar is made from something other than wheat (almost no distilled vinegar is made from wheat), there is absolutely no way there can be gluten in it. You might react to it in some fashion but it is NOT a gluten reaction because there is no gluten. Take Heinz white or distilled vinegar for instance. It's made from corn (which, by the way, is a grain). There's no wheat, rye, barley or oats anywhere in the process. Your body might not like the vinegar but whatever is happening, it's NOT because of gluten.

The same is true with some alcohols. Smirnoff vodka is made from corn. No wheat, rye, barley or oats. So if you react to Smirnoff, it's most definitely not because of gluten.

If you've decided not to eat anything at all with vinegar in it, that's your choice, but it most certainly is not a gluten issue. I don't know of a single mayo, ketchup or mustard made with vinegar from wheat.

I'm not saying you don't react in some way and I'm not saying that others don't have trouble with some distilled products, but please, please don't confuse people by telling them that all grain vinegars and alcohols have or could have gluten. It's simply not true.

richard

dear richard,
thanks for the info.
i'll pull my comments re: vinegar and liquor until i get some more definitive info.

thanks!
paula

#20 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:52 AM

I couldn't find any info on Smirnoff's site re: their ingredients. But on Stoli's site they had this under "ingredients":

"Historically, vodka has been made from whtaever agricultural crop is most abundant and cheap, but modern vodka is made principally from various grains, most often corn, rye, and wheat. Rye is common in eastern European vodkas whereas most western vodkas are produced from wheat."

Yes, corn is a grain, but if "grain alcohol" could mean corn, rye, or wheat (but most commonly wheat), I'm not taking chances, I have had bad reactions to grain vodkas.

Richard, do you have definitive info that Smirnoff *only* uses corn? I'd love to add it to the list of OK vodkas, especially since bars tend to carry it.

[other OK vodkas: Lukosawa (inexpensive Polish potato vodka), Chopin (expensive Polish potato vodka), and Ciroq (French vodka from grapes).]

paula

ps - maybe there is some labelling standard for "grain" in regard to alcohol? there was one weird vodka I saw once, can't remember the name, but it said on it that it was a "corn" liquor. this kind of confusion is what has me reluctant to trust the vagueness of the vinegar labels...

#21 toocogmo

toocogmo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

I just found out from the Heinz website that it is flavored apple cider vinegar that has gluten. However, the site says that its white vinegar and regular apple cider vinegar, which aren't flavored, are gluten free. Hope this helps.

#22 Curlyqueen

Curlyqueen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I cannot tolerate any vinegar, even rice vinegar (I made my own mayo and mustard trying to find a way around my problems and that didn't help either), and I cannot tolerate any grain alchohls.

My problem is yeast though, I think. There is yeast in the vinegar process - I read that in one of my many early searches - on a candida site. I am guessing, that is the problem with the alchohl too. I can have tequilla which is not made from grain and potato vodka, in small amounts.

I know I cannot have yeast, not even ripe fruit - same reaction as wine and vinegar. The last time I had a yeast bread, I passed out for 4 hours and was groggy for days - in addition to the tummy problems.

Interesting! if you don't mind me asking how did you find out you had an issue with yeast?

#23 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

This topic is more than six years old. Most of the participants are no longer active. kabowman was last in in 2009.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 Curlyqueen

Curlyqueen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

This topic is more than six years old. Most of the participants are no longer active. kabowman was last in in 2009.

Thanks. I figured I wasn't going to get a response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: