2 replies to this topic

#1 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

I had a severe attack in Feb 2003 that left me with abdominal pain and pale yellow stools. I couldn't eat anything other than easily digestible waffles and bagels - all the things a Celiac shouldn't eat! A few months later, a Hida Scan showed my gallbladder to only be working 1%, so it was removed and we thought that was the problem. I also had some female issues that were taken care of, again thinking that was the problem. Then in Jan 2004, a return of the pain, pale stools and eating difficulties came back. Blood work in March indicated Celiac as a possibility, although, the gastroenterologist thought no since my IgA was a weak positive at 24, my IgG was high positive of 127 (but he said that was not specific to Celiac), my tTG IgA and Reticulin IgA Ab were both negative, and my Reticulin IgG Ab was 1:40 (negative is less than 1:20 and this is another one not specific to Celiac). So, I did the small intestine biopsy and that says I have a "focal blunting of villi with increased intraepithelial lymphocytes" and is consistent with Celiac Sprue. I'm just wondering, though, about these pale stools. I had to have an ERCP with sphincterotomy to clean out my bile duct (biopsy done at same time). Bile flow was good for a little while after that because I had dark stools, but now they're back to being pale. I just don't know if I really have Celiac or something else wrong with my biliary system and/or pancreas. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

Hi Lisa922,

You most likely have Celiac AND something wrong with your biliary system and/or pancreas. Your blood tests and biopsy show Celiac. So don't think just because you have other health problems that you were mis daignsosed. How are you doing on the gluten free diet? How long has it been since your diagnosis? And finally what does your doctor say about the return of the pale stool?

Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

Mariann - thanks for your reply - that was kind of the answer I was afraid of!!! I'd like to blame every symptom on one thing, but I just don't think that is what is going on here. I was only diagnosed on April 23rd, so I have only been gluten-free for about a week-and-a-half. I am still having bowel problems off and on, but I suppose it will take a while for that to be fixed. The pale stools have really just started yesterday and then today they are worse and I haven't called the doctor yet. I figured I would give it a few days and see if anything changes. Thanks, again!

LISA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: