Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten In Tofu

7 posts in this topic

One of our support group is a vegetarian and he was told to be very careful of tofu because sometimes it contains wheat. Has anyone, else, every heard of this?

Pat

Ads by Google:

Some of the dessert tofu's have it in, I know Pete's does. Also things like Tofurkey and vegan or vegetarian tofu foods usually have tons of wheat in them but plain tofu doesn't. Best idea is still to read the label. Who knows when they will another food unaccessible to us.

flavored tofus often have soy sauce in them, and hence are likely to have gluten. *ALWAYS* read the ingredient list.

Hi

We use the extra firm organic tofu and never have a problem. We make tofurkey from scratch as with most things it's safer that way. If you wish to have a tofu with flavor just put it in a food processor (not too long) to break it down add the spice you want then press it into shape again.

Oh and if you wnat to use soya sauce the health food store carries Tamari that is wheat free

Walmart's brand of soy sauce is gluten free and very good.

HeatherR

I just called my favorite Tofu company, Unisoya, to double-check if their tofu has any gluten. Unisoya tofu is all gluten free, however their sausages have wheat. I have never bought their sausages, but I suspect wheat would be on the ingredient list for them anyways.

It was my first phonecall to a company about their product (there was no email), and it was awkward because they're in Quebec and the person on the phone didn't really speak English well, but he eventually got what I was asking.

I expected that the tofu would all be gluten-free, but the ingredients have something that says it's f'rom a naturally derived source', so I just thought I'd make sure.

Other than the most recent post, the other info is 6 years old. You would want to re-verify any info that old as product ingredients and manufaturing practices change.