This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fast Food Freis - Who Is Safe ?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay I know CC is ALWAYS a worry at fast food joints, but that aside who is left out there there thats gluten-free? I think Chick Fila, who else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Chick Fil A is the only one I know of.

Pegster Apprentice

A Chick FilA just opened nearby. What do they have that is gluten-free? Is it pretty safe? I rely on El Pollo Loco and In and Out for my fast food fix.

VydorScope Proficient
A Chick FilA just opened nearby. What do they have that is gluten-free? Is it pretty safe? I rely on El Pollo Loco and In and Out for my fast food fix.

gluten-free Menu:

Open Original Shared Link

I have had good luck with the ones areound here. :D

AussieJade Rookie

Oooooh are there any of these stores in New York City :)

VydorScope Proficient
Oooooh are there any of these stores in New York City :)

Dunno, try there store finder:

AussieJade Rookie
Dunno, try there store finder:

Treid that :( "No map available at the moment" ...

Thanx ne way :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Aside from the CC and transfat issues, there's also BK and Wendy's. Wendy's fries are not on their gluten-free list because there are some Wendy's that do not have a dedicated fryer. There's no wheat actually in the fries and most locations do have a dedicated fryer. As with everything else, you have to ask. BK fries are gluten-free but many have comp-lained about CC there.

Hardee's fries definitely are not gluten-free because the fryer is not dedicated.

I just make my own at home.

richard

VydorScope Proficient
Aside from the CC and transfat issues, there's also BK and Wendy's. Wendy's fries are not on their gluten-free list because there are some Wendy's that do not have a dedicated fryer. There's no wheat actually in the fries and most locations do have a dedicated fryer. As with everything else, you have to ask. BK fries are gluten-free but many have comp-lained about CC there.

Hardee's fries definitely are not gluten-free because the fryer is not dedicated.

I just make my own at home.

richard

Thats one nce thinkg about Chickfila, they dont make anything else in their frier. No nugets, no onion rings, they just plian do not have them.

VydorScope Proficient

WOW

"French Fries are fried on in a fryer designated for French Fries only."

( Open Original Shared Link )

Thats from Burger King, I will have to look in to our locla ones and see if they are a reasonable otpion.

happygirl Collaborator

vincent-they do have chicken nuggets, chicken strips, etc.....

are you just saying they are not prepared in the same fryer? just asking.

I am a big supporter of chick fil a ..... looooooooooove them.

elonwy Enthusiast

The problem with BK is they store thier Onion rings right next to the french fries in those Bins when they are finished, so there is spill over all the time. They also use the same scoop to scoop out the fries and the rings ( they aren't supposed to but it happens all the time). So the cross contamination is off the map there.

Elonwy

VydorScope Proficient
vincent-they do have chicken nuggets, chicken strips, etc.....

are you just saying they are not prepared in the same fryer? just asking.

I am a big supporter of chick fil a ..... looooooooooove them.

Yes, that is what the manager at the location told me when I quized him on it. I would suggestion you quize the ppl at your lcation since it is a franchise and could vary!

Moongirl Community Regular

Fresh City also has a gluten-free menu

i love their food! :D

ashlee's mom Rookie

Well, I just sent a Thank You e-mail to Chick fil-a. They aren't in our town yet, but I can hope they come to, and I will make sure we stop by when we are out. I figure it is important to make sure they remember how many customers depend on their gluten free menu!

debmidge Rising Star

I was under impression that Burger King also used wheat-coated fries (started a couple of years ago). I believe the wheat coating made fries crispier (as the fries usually sit out sometimes until someone buys them).

Just something I remember hearing...we wouldn't want BK to end up like McDonald's (secretly adding wheat to fries).

I don't think the management at either fast food place did this deliberately to make money...they are probably not aware of all of the food intolerances/allergies and the reactions. They probably only know that peanut/nut allergy can cause immediate death. These management people are not nutritionists just Business Majors or Food Management Majors and don't know about medical conditions.

Guest nini

I've gotten BK fries for my husband on a few occassions (I won't eat them and he's not gluten-free so it doesn't matter to him) but every single time I've gotten them for him, he's found an onion ring or two in his fries.

VydorScope Proficient
I've gotten BK fries for my husband on a few occassions (I won't eat them and he's not gluten-free so it doesn't matter to him) but every single time I've gotten them for him, he's found an onion ring or two in his fries.

You know thats true, I recall seeing that alot (before gluten-free I perefered BK to Mcdondls based on taste), bah. Scratch them off the possible list.

At least I have chickfila!

mmaccartney Explorer
but every single time I've gotten them for him, he's found an onion ring or two in his fries.

This is exactly why we stopped eating at Burger King.

jerseyangel Proficient

I remember finding an onoin ring in my fries at BK--pre gluten-free. I always thought of it as a bonus, back then, 'cause I loved the onion rings :(

lovegrov Collaborator

The chances of CC might be high at BK, but they DO NOT HAVE a wheat coating. All you have to do to confirm that is go to the BK website and read the ingredients.

richard

beulah Newbie

My son was diagnosed Celiac 5 years ago. Since he loved McD's we went on their website and actually talked to the manager at our local McD. Both claimed that the fries were gluten free as well as the burgers themselves. My son has been eating the fries and burger (w/o bun and condiments) for years. I am SHOCKED and ANGERED by this new report. Indeed, I went on their newly updated website (update done 2/8/06) and found that the burgers and fries (and most everything else they sell) contain wheat. My son has had periods of growth and then periods of weight lose and a failure to thrive. We thought he was getting gluten from somewhere but couldn't figure out where. Now we know! Boycott McDonalds!

lovegrov Collaborator

"Indeed, I went on their newly updated website (update done 2/8/06) and found that the burgers and fries (and most everything else they sell) contain wheat."

The burgers DO NOT have wheat in them unless you eat the bun. The burger patties are gluten-free. They're nothing but beef. Really. If you can find different on the McD website, please show us where. This has nothing to do with the burgers (which I don't eat).

Folks, if you're concerned about your children, DO NOT take them to fast food places. The chances of CC are sky-high there. It's jusst a bad idea and always has been.

richard

Archived