This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Real People Cereal

Guest Jaysonguy

Guest Jaysonguy

Ok, I was eating Honey Comb until the wheat maffia got to them.

I know Corn Pops were gluten free until they folded too.

Does anyone know what real brands (by real brands I mean Kelloggs, Post, GM, Quaker) that are gluten free?

Oh and why again is Barley malt bad?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mommida Enthusiast

Post fruity pebbles and coccoa Pebbles are gluten free.

Gluten is in BARLEY, wheat, and rye, and oats are usually considered too cross contaminated to be safe.

Laura

Jaysonguy Newbie

Thank you

I'm not keen on all the dye and other chemicals they throw in the Fruity Pebbles and I stay away from the cocoa ones because of my anxiety, I don't touch any of it's triggers.

I guess I'm stuck with pebbles and dye until a few companies decide that shutting out a large portion of their sales is a bad thing.

VydorScope Proficient

Well check the genrics, you can some times find a rice puff cereal in the generics thats just rice.

Gluten is in BARLEY, wheat, and rye, and oats

Also should add MALT to that list since its often list just as "malt". Oats are a wild card, first off nearly all oat in America are conimated with wheat, and for the few "pure" one that are out there, there is much debeat if the effect Celiacs or not. I have heard everything form "10% of celiac disease'rs react" to "all celiac disease'rs react" to "none react", and I will not make a call on that. For my family we just assume they are same as wheat and get on with life.

We buy post pebbles for now, and then some of the organic/natural cearels are good but pricey. My son loves Envirokids Panda Puffs ($4 per box at our Korger).

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

No, since Kroger was hit by the wheat mafia, I'm reduced to (what I'm also very tired of) Barbara's Puffin's Honey Rice cereal. It was delicious at first, but 4 1/2 months later . . . well, a little variety wouldn't hurt. <_<

VydorScope Proficient
No, since Kroger was hit by the wheat mafia, I'm reduced to (what I'm also very tired of) Barbara's Puffin's Honey Rice cereal. It was delicious at first, but 4 1/2 months later . . . well, a little variety wouldn't hurt. <_<

You could try the enivrokids cearls! :D My son highly recomends them! :lol:

lpellegr Collaborator

You may have to go to a Whole Foods or a health food store to find gluten-free cereals, but Mesa Sunrise is a good flake cereal, and Rice Crunchems and Corn Crunchems are just like Chex - you can even make gluten-free Chex mix with them. I used to eat 3 bowls of Cheerios every day for breakfast, and I haven't found a substitute for that, but lately I decided to switch from cereal to protein for breakfast - rolled up turkey and cheese or a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit and nuts, or even chicken sausage. Anything quick. And mostly cheaper than cereal and keeps me full longer. Something to consider. If you like hot cereal, try Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten-free cereal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teankerbell Apprentice

There is also Barbara's Corn Flakes and Envirokids - kind of like Captain Crunch. You can find Envirokids at mainstream grocery stores.

elfkin Contributor

Why, oh why, won't these people make a cereal gluten-free AND NOT PROCESS IT WITH PEANUTS!!!!???? My poor celiac son is anaphylactic to peanuts and the Envrokidz are all peanut contaminated. :(

Most gluten-free candy is peanut processed too. Sorry, just had to whine a minute. Valentines hit hard over here! And we are all "life-savered" out! It seems to be the only gluten-free/nut free item around! (Other than special order) :rolleyes:

tiger Newbie
You may have to go to a Whole Foods or a health food store to find gluten-free cereals, but Mesa Sunrise is a good flake cereal, and Rice Crunchems and Corn Crunchems are just like Chex - you can even make gluten-free Chex mix with them. I used to eat 3 bowls of Cheerios every day for breakfast, and I haven't found a substitute for that, but lately I decided to switch from cereal to protein for breakfast - rolled up turkey and cheese or a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit and nuts, or even chicken sausage. Anything quick. And mostly cheaper than cereal and keeps me full longer. Something to consider. If you like hot cereal, try Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten-free cereal.

My spouse like Nature's Path corn flakes

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

If Tymber recomends Envirokids -- well, then, it has to be the best!!!!! :lol::lol: He seems to be a child with impeccable taste! :lol:

jnifred Explorer

Honestly, one of the best things for me going gluten-free was finding out the only cereal I could eat was Cocoa Pebbles (can't stand fruity!) , I always ate "healthy" cereals and would not give in to my craving for Cocoa Pebbles, and now I feel like I have a "jsut pass GO" license to eat them, I still don't have them more than once a week, if that, but just knowing that I can.....ooooohhh, I just LOVE it!!!

VydorScope Proficient
If Tymber recomends Envirokids -- well, then, it has to be the best!!!!! :lol::lol: He seems to be a child with impeccable taste! :lol:

Remember that picture of him on teh couch watching Thomas? He has a ziplock bag in his hands, filled with Panda Puffs. He likes to eat them that way best. :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I recieved a post from one of the members of my yahoo group that I run (USASillyYaks). They posted this NEW info on Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles:

I was just sent this today from Clan Thompson:

Even though the ingredients appear to be gluten-free, Post cereals is now stating that

the

"pebbles" cereals are not gluten-free.

Denise

> From: "Chris Thompson" <gilbride100@hotmail.com>

> To: pebbs1@fuse.net

> Subject: Clan Thompson's Mini-List

> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:42:04 +0000

>

>

> Manufacturers of the following products reported them to be NOT GLUTEN FREE

> when we contacted them:

>

> Shaw's Crispy Rice Cereal (V-095) Verified: 9/3/2005

> Albertson's Corn & Rice Cereals Verified: 9/15/2005

> Post Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles Verified: 2/6/2006

> Kellog's Corn Flakes Verified: 11/3/2005

> Kellog's Corn Pops Verified: 11/3/2005

>

>

> Clan Thompson's Celiac SmartLists are a series of programs which make

> it easy to find gluten information on thousands of items. Information in

> each SmartList is verified directly with the manufacturer, and a "Comments"

> field is included to help you make informed decisions.

So pretty much this STINKS!!! But thought I would pass it along.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient
I recieved a post from one of the members of my yahoo group that I run (USASillyYaks). They posted this NEW info on Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles:

So pretty much this STINKS!!! But thought I would pass it along.

Umm, that cant be, unless they changed the ingredients from the boxes I have in my kitchen right now. I check the ingreditenst everytime I by it.

Coco Pebles

Ingredients: RICE, SUGAR, POLYDEXTROSE (SOURCE OF FIBER), HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVOR, BHA (TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR). VITAMINS & MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

Frutiy Pebles

Ingredients: RICE, SUGAR, POLYDEXTROSE (SOURCE OF FIBER), HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 0.5% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED 40, YELLOW 6, TURMERIC OLEORESIN (COLOR), YELLOW 5, BLUE 1, BLUE 2, BHA (TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR). VITAMINS AND MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE (B VITAMIN), REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID (B VITAMIN), VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

And post is a KRAFT company, they would disclose wheat.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

These are things I'm all well aware of, however Clan Thompson is a pretty reliable source for info. SOOO I'm passing it along. I would really hate for someone to get glutened due to lack of info. The post DOES say "Even though the ingredients appear to be gluten-free, Post cereals is now stating that

the"pebbles" cereals are not gluten-free." Meaning, it looks gluten free but it's not. The date they verified was feb 6th (just recently). Anyways, hope the info helps someone, I know I won't be buying anymore until I give a call to the company to verify.

Umm, that cant be, unless they changed the ingredients from the boxes I have in my kitchen right now. I check the ingreditenst everytime I by it.

Coco Pebles

Frutiy Pebles

And post is a KRAFT company, they would disclose wheat.

VydorScope Proficient
These are things I'm all well aware of, however Clan Thompson is a pretty reliable source for info. SOOO I'm passing it along. I would really hate for someone to get glutened due to lack of info. The post DOES say "Even though the ingredients appear to be gluten-free, Post cereals is now stating that

the"pebbles" cereals are not gluten-free." Meaning, it looks gluten free but it's not. The date they verified was feb 6th (just recently). Anyways, hope the info helps someone, I know I won't be buying anymore until I give a call to the company to verify.

Well, I REALY aprecaite you posting this, and I plan to check with post/kraft my self directly as soon as I can. IF true I need to know ASAP.

It could simply be that they are planing a formula chnage and its not hit the shelves yet...

VydorScope Proficient

(just tired calling Kraft, but they are not open yet. All the info on there site as of this post still calls pebbles gluten-free. )

debbiewil Rookie

Post has a new Pebbles cereal out - with marshmallows. The ingrediants on that box do contain gluten. The ingredients list on the cocoa and fruity still don't list any gluten products. So hopefully they haven't changed the old ones, it's just the new one we can't have.

Debbie

VydorScope Proficient

VERFIED WITH KRAFT DIRECTLY AS OF THIS POST NORMAL COCOA AND FURITY PEBBLES ARE STILL GLUTEN FREE NO CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE.

bluegill Newbie

I also called Kraft this morning and got the same standard labeling disclaimer. I've emailed Clan Thompson asking where they got their info. If I learn anything I'll post.

VydorScope Proficient

When I called I also asked about changes to the forumla and the nice lady told me there was nothing in the system about the forumla being changed. She seemed knowledge about about gluten at least.

VydorScope Proficient
When I called I also asked about changes to the forumla and the nice lady told me there was nothing in the system about the forumla being changed. She seemed knowledge about about gluten at least.

Just FYI I emailed Clan Thomson too, but I dont know if they will reply to me since Im not a customer at this time.

bluegill Newbie

I heard from Lani Thompson, publisher of the Clan Thompson lists. She says there was an error on the Mini-List that went out. Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles are gluten-free. She'll send out a correction to list subscribers.

VydorScope Proficient
I heard from Lani Thompson, publisher of the Clan Thompson lists. She says there was an error on the Mini-List that went out. Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles are gluten-free. She'll send out a correction to list subscribers.

PHEW! Okay :) Thanks!

Archived