This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Real People Cereal

Guest Jaysonguy

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I bought a box of neo pets cereal today. It is pretty darn good stuff!! Wooo hoo for general mills!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

General Mills just came out with Neopets Islandberry Crunch that is gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Customer service confirms the company has clear labeling policy, so natural/artificial flavors do not contain gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

AS OF YESTERDAY Cocoa puffs and Trix BOTH STILL HAVE GLUTEN in them. I checked both their site, and the boxes in the stores. Sorry, but I am having a hard time believing this info you recieved. :(

penguin Community Regular
AS OF YESTERDAY Cocoa puffs and Trix BOTH STILL HAVE GLUTEN in them. I checked both their site, and the boxes in the stores. Sorry, but I am having a hard time believing this info you recieved. :(

Same thing in my part of the country <_<

Becky6 Enthusiast

I just got back from Target and our local grocery store and there is still gluten in both. And I am in MN where they make it! I did get the Neopets though and it is good! Belle loves it!

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I found boxes that seemed to be gluten free, and their website isn't updated, which i posted when i posted the emails....now i tried to cocoa puffs twice and had a reaction both times, but the ingrediants seem clear. i understand you not wanting to believe my information, i'm just puttin it out there, it's up to you......i'm sure we'll know more about this as the older boxes are leaving the shelves and new shipments show up .

VydorScope Proficient
I found boxes that seemed to be gluten free, and their website isn't updated, which i posted when i posted the emails....now i tried to cocoa puffs twice and had a reaction both times, but the ingrediants seem clear. i understand you not wanting to believe my information, i'm just puttin it out there, it's up to you......i'm sure we'll know more about this as the older boxes are leaving the shelves and new shipments show up .

Are teh boxes labled "New improved" or anything?

Becky6 Enthusiast

The ones I saw said:

Cocca puffs:oat right in the first line

Trix: Wheat starch towards the bottoms of the list.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
The ones I saw said:

Cocca puffs:oat right in the first line

Trix: Wheat starch towards the bottoms of the list.

Yea and Trix also listed "Flour" in the begining. It be cool if this rumor is true, but so far no one here has seen any sign of it.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

yes except for me. who has a box of the cocoa puffs ha.....there was an email however about them being in the small three pack boxes being the first to have the change....the box that i have says 20% more or something....i don't know what to tell ya'll other than keep looking? sorry....i'm trying to be as big of a help as possible, ha...i know it isn't much

savvvyseller Enthusiast

Picked up gluten-free Cocoa Puffs at two different Targets in southern NJ - don't know if the roll-out is geographical. My guess is that they're probably waiting until it's national before changing the information on the website. The Trix were not yet gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient
yes except for me. who has a box of the cocoa puffs ha.....there was an email however about them being in the small three pack boxes being the first to have the change....the box that i have says 20% more or something....i don't know what to tell ya'll other than keep looking? sorry....i'm trying to be as big of a help as possible, ha...i know it isn't much

Sorry missed that you actualy had a box! THough you were just reporting that you heard someone else had a box.

Grr I will keep watching....

Becky6 Enthusiast

Hmmm. I think it is odd too that I can't find one in MN where the plant is! Who knows!

mrsnj91 Explorer

OK you guys freaked me out on all this talk! I checked the boxes and CocoPuffs was fine. Kix my DD has been eating too. When I read the packages I found a few others too but...hey...maybe I missed something!

This is the list my girlfriend and I found while spending like a 1/2 hour in the cereal isle....

Kix, CocoPuffs, Honeycomb, Fruity/Coco Pebbles, Captain Crunch Peanutbutter and Regular (Crunch Berries were gluten).

I am kinda new at this but when I looked at the boxes I found Honey Combs and a few others to be ok and gluten grains free. Why did you menion that HoneyCombs were not ok?

VydorScope Proficient
OK you guys freaked me out on all this talk! I checked the boxes and CocoPuffs was fine. Kix my DD has been eating too. When I read the packages I found a few others too but...hey...maybe I missed something!

This is the list my girlfriend and I found while spending like a 1/2 hour in the cereal isle....

Kix, CocoPuffs, Honeycomb, Fruity/Coco Pebbles, Captain Crunch Peanutbutter and Regular (Crunch Berries were gluten).

I am kinda new at this but when I looked at the boxes I found Honey Combs and a few others to be ok and gluten grains free. Why did you menion that HoneyCombs were not ok?

Last I checked Captian crunch was NOT safe. Are you sure you checked for all the sores of gluten, Rye, Wheat, Barly, Malt, Oats, and anything dervied there from?

My last trip through the cerals showed ONLY Fruity/Cocoa pebbles safe in the mainstream cerals.

mrsnj91 Explorer

*sigh* I shall head back down the isle again! I KNOW that Kix and CocoaPuffs are as I have those boxes here but I can't speak for the others. I am so tired of reading labels! Making me a little :blink: She just finished a box of Honeycombs too. I was pretty darn sure they were ok!!!!!!

It is possible I missed something. I went to the store and picked up a box of cereal I thought was ok....spent an arm and a leg too....only to find out that there was Barely in it and I missed it. She is allergic to Barley and that is how I found it. I am going to be cross eyed by the time I finish reading all these little labels! :D

VydorScope Proficient
*sigh* I shall head back down the isle again! I KNOW that Kix and CocoaPuffs are as I have those boxes here but I can't speak for the others. I am so tired of reading labels! Making me a little :blink: She just finished a box of Honeycombs too. I was pretty darn sure they were ok!!!!!!

It is possible I missed something. I went to the store and picked up a box of cereal I thought was ok....spent an arm and a leg too....only to find out that there was Barely in it and I missed it. She is allergic to Barley and that is how I found it. I am going to be cross eyed by the time I finish reading all these little labels! :D

The Cocoa puffs might be, acording to the info in this thread they are realeasing a new version of it, but while old stock is out ther you will have alot of conflicting answers on it. It would be very cool if other brands have changed their forumals too, and I will take your list to the store hopefull to day and see what my boxes show, just ot be sure. :)

What area are you from? I wonder if this cocoa puffs change is only in test markets still. That would realy stink :(

mrsnj91 Explorer

NJ...which I believe one of the other CocoPuffs people on here was too. So Northeast???

I just found Honeycombs and this is what they listed:

Ingredients: CORN FLOUR AND BRAN BLEND (CORN FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN CORN FLOUR, CORN BRAN), SUGAR, WHOLE GRAIN OAT FLOUR, HONEY, SALT, YELLOW 5, BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE PRODUCT FRESHNESS. VITAMINS & MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE (B VITAMIN), REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID (B VITAMIN), VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

Now my dr. said that oats were ok. Is that maybe why some mentioned no Honeycombs? I know some on here eat them and some don't. Or am I missing seeing something in that list?

Off to find Kix (as I threw out the box)....

VydorScope Proficient
NJ...which I believe one of the other CocoPuffs people on here was too. So Northeast???

I just found Honeycombs and this is what they listed:

Ingredients: CORN FLOUR AND BRAN BLEND (CORN FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN CORN FLOUR, CORN BRAN), SUGAR, WHOLE GRAIN OAT FLOUR, HONEY, SALT, YELLOW 5, BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE PRODUCT FRESHNESS. VITAMINS & MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE (B VITAMIN), REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID (B VITAMIN), VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

Now my dr. said that oats were ok. Is that maybe why some mentioned no Honeycombs? I know some on here eat them and some don't. Or am I missing seeing something in that list?

Off to find Kix....

OATS are bad. Oats contain wheat gluten from the plant, and they have a very simular protien to wheat which in some celaics gives the same reaction. So they are bad on two fronts. I am sorry but if any doc told you oats is good, he is not very knowledable about celiac disease. :(

mrsnj91 Explorer

Gasp.....Kix has wheat strach at the bottom! :( God I HATE this diet!!! I've been giving her those all weekend!!!

Maybe I should just save myself the frustration and call it quits at the Cocopuffs :( Stupid diet! Off for the Crunch!

(thank God you all posted this!)

I can't find Crunch and I am running out of computer time. I dont' have any of that here anyway but I will read the labels before I buy!

In regard to the dr. I have not been to a GI yet. Currently we are trialing with an allergist. We go this Wed. to talk about the trial and where to go from there. So I am feeling my way around as a newbie in this. But I know for a fact there is debait on oats. Read some myself on here alone. I will keep that in mind though when we go back on Wed.

shellhoo Newbie

I have a box of Trix 75% less sugar sitting in front of me right now. I can tell you that I'm sure it is gluten free. I've been eating it at work all week and have not had a reaction and i am sure to get a reaction if I am glutened at all. when I went to the grocery store last week i saw that the regular boxes of trix had flour as one of the first ingredients. This does not. It only has corn ingredients. :D

VydorScope Proficient
Gasp.....Kix has wheat strach at the bottom! :( God I HATE this diet!!! I've been giving her those all weekend!!!

Maybe I should just save myself the frustration and call it quits at the Cocopuffs :( Stupid diet! Off for the Crunch!

(thank God you all posted this!)

I can't find Crunch and I am running out of computer time. I dont' have any of that here anyway but I will read the labels before I buy!

In regard to the dr. I have not been to a GI yet. Currently we are trialing with an allergist. We go this Wed. to talk about the trial and where to go from there. So I am feeling my way around as a newbie in this. But I know for a fact there is debait on oats. Read some myself on here alone. I will keep that in mind though when we go back on Wed.

You missuderstand the debate then. IF you could find PURE oats, then you would not find gluten, however some celiacs still react that is where the deabate comes from. The problem is you can NOT find pure oats, and all the oats are contimated with wheat gluten. Read:

To summarize the study—12 containers of oats representing 4 different lots of 3 brands (Quaker, Country Choice, and McCann’s) were tested for gluten contamination using the R5 ELISA developed by Mendez. Contamination levels ranged from below the limit of detection (3 ppm gluten) to 1807 ppm gluten. Three of the 12 oat samples contained gluten levels of less than 20 ppm, and the other nine had levels that ranged from 23 to 1,807 ppm. All brands of oats tested had at least 1 container of oats that tested above 200 ppm gluten. It is interesting to note that Country Choice oats ranged from below the limit of detection to 210 ppm—an amount that is nearly at the level allowed by the Codex Alimentarius for products that normally contain gluten but have had their gluten removed—and of the three brands had the least amount of cross-contamination.

Please do not give anyone the idea that Oats are safe, THEY ARE NOT.

jenvan Collaborator

Don't eat honeycomb.... ! As Vincent said... Nearly all US oats are contaminated--it is nearly impossible to find uncontaminated oats. I haven't been convinced of any yet. And even if you find pure oats--you may be one of the ones who react to them. There is no test to determine that yet...and not sensing a reaction does not mean that one isn't occuring in your gut per se. This is one debate where I definitely say err on the side of caution until overwise proven convincingly.

mrsnj91 Explorer

VydorScope-Excuse me...I wasn't giving anyone any ideas that anything is safe. I thought I made it rather clear that I am new to this and tring to find my way around. Obviously making mistakes. Perhaps I took your comment wrong and I am sorry if I did. I am not a dr. nor do I pretend to be. I am not an expert either. I guess I didn't state that clearly! I thought the fact that I was questioning and running to look an ingred. would have given everyone that impression!!! I don't tell anyone on here or anywhere else about guidelines in regard to this as I personally have no idea and am learning as I go. That is why I came to this site....to learn. But thank for the info all the same. It was helpful.

Thanks Jen!!

Shellhoo-Thanks for that info on the Trix. I'll have to check it out! :D

VydorScope Proficient
VydorScope-Excuse me...I wasn't giving anyone any ideas that anything is safe. I thought I made it rather clear that I am new to this and tring to find my way around. Obviously making mistakes. Perhaps I took your comment wrong and I am sorry if I did. I am not a dr. nor do I pretend to be. I am not an expert either. I guess I didn't state that clearly! I thought the fact that I was questioning and running to look an ingred. would have given everyone that impression!!! I don't tell anyone on here or anywhere else about guidelines in regard to this as I personally have no idea and am learning as I go. That is why I came to this site....to learn. But thank for the info all the same. It was helpful.

Shellhoo-Thanks for that info on the Trix. I'll have to check it out! :D

Sorry, but when I read your post I could easly see a 3rd party to our discusion skiming by and reading your post as stating that. Becuase of that I felt I needed ot realy drive home the point that while oats by nature do not contain the exact same protien, in US at least, they are all (to best of anyones ability to test) contimainated with gluten from wheat.

Wether or not yo will react to Avein (I think thats right spelling?), the protien found in oats is the part that is debated, and as JenVan states there is currently no test for it, so your just playing russian rollete if you eat oats. :(

VydorScope Proficient

So it seems that so far ONLY NJ has the new gluten-free Cocoa Puffs and Trix??? Is that what I am reading here? That sounds sucusipoously like a test market, so you have to buy LOTS AND LOTS to convince them to sell it everywhere! :D

Archived