This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lindt Chocolate

Moongirl

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I know, that the milk chocolate and the milk chocolate with whole hazelnuts from Lindt are glutenfree. I am very sensitive to gluten and usually know it right away. Even more so now, that I'm pregnant. I never had a reaction to those two. Not in the States and not in Germany. I don't know about their other stuff though. And I don't like dark chocolate, so I can't tell you guys anything about that one either. Apparently there are a lot of people on here, that like dark chocolate. Wow! I never would have figured... :P

Hugs, Stef

• 3 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vhuntere Newbie

I know, that the milk chocolate and the milk chocolate with whole hazelnuts from Lindt are glutenfree. I am very sensitive to gluten and usually know it right away. Even more so now, that I'm pregnant. I never had a reaction to those two. Not in the States and not in Germany. I don't know about their other stuff though. And I don't like dark chocolate, so I can't tell you guys anything about that one either. Apparently there are a lot of people on here, that like dark chocolate. Wow! I never would have figured... :P

Hugs, Stef

I know this is an old thread and I'm not new to celiac, I am new to this forum and site. In case anyone is still unsure, I found this about Lindt chocolates from their site:

" Is there gluten or barley malt in Lindt chocolate?

Unfortunately, at this time we cannot guarantee that Lindt chocolate is gluten free. Our white and extra dark (70% cocoa and above) chocolate products by nature do not contain barley malt. However, because they run on the same production lines as other products there is a chance of cross contamination. Lindt is aware of the growing prevalence of Celiac's Disease and other conditions. We are sensitive to the fact that these large groups of consumers are unable to enjoy our chocolate at this time. We hope in the future to be able to accommodate the needs of all our consumers and offer options to satisfy varying dietary requirements. "

Reba32 Rookie

I've found that the Choceur brand at Aldi's is pretty good. I have not had any reaction to the dark chocolate at all (and I'm pretty sensitive). There is no warning about wheat on the allergen list and I've noticed most of the Aldi foods do list wheat if there is possibility of cross contamination.

I don't eat milk chocolate (too much sugar) so I haven't tried that one. But the dark chocolates are awesome! I also bought some of their unsweetened baking chocolate chips. I haven't tried them yet, but there's only one ingredient listed.

They do make some chocolate bars that the label says there may be cross contaimination with wheat etc. so read carefully. I think they must have a few different facilities.

I haven't had any Lindt since I went gluten free and learned they use barley as a sweetener. Shame, I like Lindt.

Beware any sugar free chocolates that are touting to be gluten free but are made with maltodextrin from wheat! I had a small piece, because the company swore up down left right and centre that it won't have an effect on Celiacs. pffffffffffffffft. I was writhing in pain in less than an hour! Not nice.

ItsaDollThang Rookie

I looked at all the Lindt bars today when I was shopping. Every one of them I saw had barley malt on the label. I was very disappointed. I love Lindt. No Godiva either huh? That really sucks.

• 1 month later...
swingbean Newbie

This is what I found on the lindt website:

Open Original Shared Link

This is what I found on ghiradelli:

Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

When I was still unable to tolerate soy lecithin (never soy) I was able to eat Lindt 70% plus dark chocolate without problem. But I am not a super sensitive.

• 5 years later...
DandelionH Apprentice

I eat Lindt dark and have never had a CC reaction. Is it extreme to avoid things like that? I never really think about production lines etc.
When companies say that, the odds are low and they're just covering their a$$es right? Or should I really be only consuming things made in gluten free environments?! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

The "Made in the same facility" I think is just fine.  "Made on the same line" is worth more consideration.

Colleen

DandelionH Apprentice

The "Made in the same facility" I think is just fine.  "Made on the same line" is worth more consideration.

Colleen

Mmm. Thanks. Surely they at least wash it down or something... But I might steer clear from now on.
Seem to get insomnia from dark chocolate, too. Not coffee. But even 2 squares of dark chocolate rather than 1 and sleep goes out the window. Useful when it needs to! But a bummer other times because it's sooooo tasty :) .

Archived