#1 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hi!
Newbie here wondering if anyone is from Central PA? looking for a support group, stores, anything else you can share! I am in Annville PA very close to Hershey and Harrisburg PA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:47 AM

Hi David-Welcome to the board!
I don't live in PA anymore, but I went to high school and PSU. My parents still live in Mechanicsburg and I'm home often. I was diagnosed after I moved away, but my mom has gone to numerous events, etc., in the area. Apparently the Harrisburg support group is great---she met the president of the group and thought she was wonderful. Also, if I remember correctly, once a month, there is a meeting at Hershey Med Center for new Celiacs. There is a new Giant grocery store that opened recently (over in Camp Hill, I think) and they apparently carry a lot of gluten free products. They did a gluten-free cooking class there over a three week period that my mom went to. Someone who works there (nutritionist? not sure) has family members who are Celiac so she was very informed about it.
Also-Outback Steakhouse has a gluten free menu (lists which items are safe). You can find it on their website, or request it when you go in. :D
Some of the health food stores in the area (and Giant) carry Tinkyada brand pastas---they are the hands down BEST!

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hi David
I am from Harrisburg and I am not sure how far you travel through the area but there is a store in Linglestown that carries great bakery items, they are frozen but they taste great. they are made in NEPA by a husband who is a chef of 17 years and a wife who has celiac. The store in Linglestown is called Water to Go, and it is on Linglestown Rd. The baked items are by The Grainless Baker.

www.grainlessbaker.com

Also if you PM me I can give you some more info.
It's a hard adjustment at first but once you started feeling better it is all worth it.

yep...the hospital does have a support group..I am such a bad employee I forget that they offer things like that here. I am just more excited to go home at the end of the day :). The Camp Hill giant has alot of stuff. Sometime in the next year or so there is a Wegmans coming to Silver Springs and they carry a huge section of gluten-free food. I shop in their Scranton store and every time I get there always new products.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Thanks !!!

#5 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

There's also a gluten-free bakery in McVeytown, which is kinda far from you (north of Harrisburg, between Hbg and State College) but does do mailorder. You can find it on the web, the name is Gluten Free 4 Me...And if you ever happen to be in Pittsburgh, there are two Whole Foods there, plus in the metro PHilly area are many many Wegman's...

Joanna
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#6 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hiya!

I live in Ephrata- Lancaster County. The support groups that I know of are in Reading, PA at the Reading Hospital- and that would be way out of your way :(

BUT... I wanted to tell you about The Grainless Baker. They are in PA and they can ship their goods to you. They are absolutely wonderful- their bread crumbs taste like "normal" bread crumbs! Here's their web-site:The Grainless Baker

You can search the site and see if their products are in a store near you! Good luck~ Gabby

OOps, I should have read all of the posts before i posted... sorry to be redundant.
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#7 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:20 AM

I'm from Lititz, PA (Lancaster area). I can't believe there are people so close to me with celiac! I mean, I can, I've just never met anyone that had celiac other than myself. Do either of you from the Lebanon/Lancaster area have a list of local restaurants that are safe? We do Outback and Carabbas in Lancaster, but I'm definitely itching to expand my horizons.

There's a support group at one of the Lancaster hospitals, but I can't remember which one. I guess that's probably a little out of your way too. I'm sure some of the Lebanon/Hershey hospitals have support group meetings as well. I'll let you know if I here anything since I'm only about 10 minutes from Anville.

Do you ever go to Linda's Speedway in Lebanon or LANCO Speedway in Schaefferstown???
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

I'm from Lititz, PA (Lancaster area). I can't believe there are people so close to me with celiac! I mean, I can, I've just never met anyone that had celiac other than myself. Do either of you from the Lebanon/Lancaster area have a list of local restaurants that are safe? We do Outback and Carabbas in Lancaster, but I'm definitely itching to expand my horizons.

There's a support group at one of the Lancaster hospitals, but I can't remember which one. I guess that's probably a little out of your way too. I'm sure some of the Lebanon/Hershey hospitals have support group meetings as well. I'll let you know if I here anything since I'm only about 10 minutes from Anville.

Do you ever go to Linda's Speedway in Lebanon or LANCO Speedway in Schaefferstown???

Guhila--My husband and I love to drive to the Lancaster area to shop and take in the beautiful countryside--Lititz is one of our favorites, though! What a lovely town you live in--all of the stone houses and little shops.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

David, I forgot to mention Stauffer's of Kissel Hill in Lititz when I posted before. They have an aisle of gluten free food. It's celiac heaven! Oregon Dairy in Lititz also has a gluten free section. I think there are probably other mainstream grocery stores too that carry stuff. I know Giant is starting to carry some stuff (and I believe they'll order things for you if you speak to the manager). Stauffers will definitely order things for you if you have specific needs/wants.

Jerseyangel, I grew up in Lititz and we absolutely love it here. We moved back a few years ago and I'm so glad we did. On one of your ventures, you should check out Stauffers for munch food for the car ride home. They have tons of Glutano treats as well as lots of other stuff. They even started carrying the Wellshire kids chicken nuggets! :) Yum!
~Angie~

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

Guhlia--Thanks for the tips--I'm going to make a note of the places you suggested :)
Patti

#11 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:49 AM

Jerseyangel, next time you're out this way, check out the castle on E. Woods Drive. It's a sight to see if you've never been there. If you're heading North on 501, make a right onto E. Woods. You can only see it from the road when there are no leaves on the trees. It's really pretty cool and it's just a minute or two off of the main road.
~Angie~

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Jerseyangel, next time you're out this way, check out the castle on E. Woods Drive. It's a sight to see if you've never been there. If you're heading North on 501, make a right onto E. Woods. You can only see it from the road when there are no leaves on the trees. It's really pretty cool and it's just a minute or two off of the main road.

Ooh--thanks! We love stuff like that--I'm adding that to the Stauffer's note!
Patti

#13 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

check out the post on Dillsburg, PA.......GREAT gluten free store! in close proximity to harrisburg, carlisle, york, !

#14 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Mahee!!! I can't wait to check it out!
~Angie~

#15 karenwinslow1

karenwinslow1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Another newbie! My 9 year old has celiac and we are travelling to State College PA this summer for a weekend to take her older sister to the University. Just wondering if anyone knows of any restaurants in the area that cater to or offer gluten free menus. She had one bad experience in a restaurant right after she was diagnosed and is a bit skittish when we are travelling and eating out now. I will also bring some items with us since the hotel has a fridge and microwave. Thanks for any ideas or help in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: