This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Tips, Fast..

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Yeah my stomach is not any better, I'm getting no support/interrupted at home (being told that cleaning is more important than studying, being told when and how to study, etc).

My parents now dont even believe my stomach pains are from eating. They think its because of nerves .. but its not, the last time I got nerved up for tests I was having Colitis symptoms (and I'm not now).

So i'm going to be feeling all dopy from the meds(today it was bad enough that my speech was slurred), and dying from the throbbing/burning pain in my side...yet still have to study and pass all my midterms????

I dont know how I'm going to do it. I've been trying SO HARD not to just break down and cry, not to lose my mind, to stay calm/strong .. but I've reached the limit :blink::(

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

printmaker81 Rookie

Hi Lisa,

I think all of us can identify with the feeling that there is no way we are going to be able to continue with what we were doing before. I was still throwing up 4 months after I was diagnosed and had just started grad school. My family is not very supportive either, until recently. It has been about nine months now, and I have finally started to feel better.

It really takes a while, but I think once the important people in your life begin to see the difference that the gluten free diet makes, it will really be worth it. You just have to stick it out a while by yourself. I know it is hard, but you have to try to be strong. There are plenty of resource here on this website. I know I used to cry almost everyday because my stomach hurt so bad. It took me nearly nine months to feel better, but you just have to stick with it. Good luck. It isn't an easy process.

Heather

WGibs Apprentice

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time.

Are you still gluten-free? The nerves probably aren't helping your stomach, but do you have any idea what else is setting it off? If you can eat rice, I would try eating nothing but white rice for 24 hours. That always helps my system recover and get back on track.

What are your meds for? Can you talk to your doctor about the side effects and maybe find a solution that doesn't make you feel loopy?

Sometimes when I feel like I am teetering on the edge of breaking down, the best thing I can do is give in and have a good cry. Only then do I have the composure to approach the challenges before me.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

nogluten- Newbie

Hang in there. You're doing the right thing and the diet will get easier over time.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Hang in there. You're doing the right thing and the diet will get easier over time.

I've been gluten-free for basically 3 years, but i'm the one whos been having the additional/unknown stomach problems for the last 3 weeks that the docs cant figure out...

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Lisa--I wish I could reach in and give you a big hug -- that's the 'mom' in me speaking :) . I completely understand how it feels for your family to blame your health problems on nerves. I was always considered the 'sensitive one'. Instead of helping me get to the bottom of the problem, it was just passed of as nerviousness, or some other stupid thing. And the cleaning thing--I can relate to that, too. I think anything to get the focus off the problem that they can't solve. (Maybe we are distantly related--haha). The only advice I can give you is to stay strong--you are doing the right thing, what is best for you. Please keep in touch--we're here for you anytime.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Oh Lisa--I wish I could reach in and give you a big hug -- that's the 'mom' in me speaking :) . I completely understand how it feels for your family to blame your health problems on nerves. I was always considered the 'sensitive one'. Instead of helping me get to the bottom of the problem, it was just passed of as nerviousness, or some other stupid thing. And the cleaning thing--I can relate to that, too. I think anything to get the focus off the problem that they can't solve. (Maybe we are distantly related--haha). The only advice I can give you is to stay strong--you are doing the right thing, what is best for you. Please keep in touch--we're here for you anytime.

Thank you Patti(and others). I wish that the people closer to me (distance wise) would care for me this much. I'm actually taking a break from the studying right now. I've been at the school for almost an hour now, I figure maybe if i take breaks in between i wont panic..

Plus it is so hard to concentrate. Like i said, the pains just dont go away. I only slept about 2 hours last night because of them..I dont know how i am going to manage in a doc appointment this weekend (with my hardest of tests next week)..

Its a scary feeling that each time i swallow food, I can FEEL my insides reacting to it :blink:

Asthma/arthritis are not liking me either. Temperatures have been below normal here (and as cold as -39 C with the windchill) so it is making it tough to breathe..and its a good thing i am not right handed (i have it wrapped in tenser wrap right now)..

I know i always seem to just complain a lot, about the same problems each time, but its always those same problems that keep getting worse for me.. :(

Last night i had to give into a little cry, but now that worries me, because i am scared maybe i wont know when NOT to cry now that I have..

Thats all for now, maybe more later by the end of the day (like i'll tell how hard my test was and if i wasnt feeling too dopy :P )

~ lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lollie Enthusiast

Lisa,

I know I cry all the time. I just let it out and I don't worry what anyone else thinks. Everybody thinks I'm overly sensitive.....Maybe it's true, but you can't take it as a bad thing, I think it's good. I too know about the cleaning :o Gees, like you feel like cleaning when you feel like crap! I'm so glad I've finished school. I was sick all the time. I know that nerves do play a role for me. When I'm overly stressed, it always hits me in the stomach. It doesn't mean that there isn't a problem, I think it just is a compound problem. Just lucky, huh?! :P

Anyway, maybe after all these tests, you'll feel better, and maybe have sometime to rest!

-Lollie

Rusla Enthusiast

I know this sounds bad Lisa but is there anyway your non believing family could be glutening you?

num1habsfan Rising Star
I know this sounds bad Lisa but is there anyway your non believing family could be glutening you?

Probably not, because I have always been cooking my own meals since being gluten-free. And very rarely do they even eat what i do...only if i make it myself...so even though most of my family dont believe me, my parents finally realized i am as sensitive as a say..(just not about these mysterious/horrible pains)..

i did kinda poopy on this test, i forgot so many things :blink:

I think next test I am going to try wait until after I am done writing to eat (because today i was kinda more focused on my tummy than my work)..blah :P

~ lisa ~

Archived