Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Celiac Go Into Remission & Come Out With Stress?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Debra Leigh

Debra Leigh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

Hello Everyone...

I am new here- I was diagnosed with Celiac 2 years ago. A final test - biopsy - confirmed the disease. I haven't had what I'd like to term as an 'outbreak' in several months. My stress level was down until recently, & I am asking if stress can really bring this out of 'remission'?

I have been fatigued more than usual for about a week now, & the nausea is back, waking me up in the middle of the night with burning in my stomach, & lasting throughout most of the day. Another symptom has been depression - not feeling sad- simply depression. I have dealt with depression in the past - a long time ago- & I know the difference. There has been nothing new or very different going on in my life to create the depression - feeling just plain down! I know that often times in the past when I have been 'coming down' with 'something' - a cold, the flu - I have felt very fatigued & down....Is this somewhat common with us??

I have other medical problems too - Hypothyroidism - Aortic Regurgitation (moderate to severe) - Lymphedema in my arms (genetic not from a Mastectomy) - Esophagus Reflux - Edema.......
All of the above I have been 'dealing' with for many years, so I know that these problems can also affect how I feel.....but, even though I have read information about this disease, I am not, by any means, completely educated as to how it can affect us.

Thank you for your time in reading this ..

Debra Leigh

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:12 AM

Are you following the gluten free diet?

#3 Debra Leigh

Debra Leigh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

Are you following the gluten free diet?

No - I haven't been - except to say that for about 8 days I have been eating mostly green salads & apples. But, my diet has not been gluten free....

When one does go on a gluten free diet does the beginning of the diet create a difficulty for the body to adjust?

Thank you for responding Laura...

Debbie

#4 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

Wait a minute, I am confused. If you are diagnosed with celiac, why aren't you on a gluten free diet. If you were and then went off because you thought you were better, than that is why you feel bad again. Gluten free diet is for life. There is no getting better and going off. Even if you don't feel symptoms, damage is being done. Also if you haven't eaten gluten again for the last 8 days, you are probably feeling withdrawal symptoms. You absolutely must go back on the diet. Good luck.

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:57 AM

I agree... you need to be on the diet. Celiac doesn't go into "remission"...you may not feel like its there...but it is and it still does damage and it will catch up to you.
Rachel

#6 Debra Leigh

Debra Leigh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

Wait a minute, I am confused. If you are diagnosed with celiac, why aren't you on a gluten free diet. If you were and then went off because you thought you were better, than that is why you feel bad again. Gluten free diet is for life. There is no getting better and going off. Even if you don't feel symptoms, damage is being done. Also if you haven't eaten gluten again for the last 8 days, you are probably feeling withdrawal symptoms. You absolutely must go back on the diet. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply loraleena....

Sorry for the misunderstanding that I though I was better, so I went off the diet. I have never been on a completely gluten free diet. Why? Perhaps all only excuses....

I did find your comment ".....withdrawal symptoms" educational as I didn't know this could happen. Again, I am really just learning about how this disease can affect us. Also, I didn't know that even though we can seem to feel better, the damage continues on.

I do know that since I have lost weight (from a size 16 to a 10) in the last 6 months (except for the past week ), I have not had any of the following near to the degree that it was: joint pain, nausea, burning/pain in the stomache, fatigue, constipation/diarrhea, emotional downs, edema, etc.

Also, since I have left a negative situation/lifestyle, and have been living within a positive lifestyle with a positive attitude, I have felt better emotionally & physically. And, now since I am learning, and paying attention to the fact that a gluten free diet can make even more of a difference, I'm going to 'go for it'!!

Thank you for helping me...

Debbie

#7 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

The doctor who diagnosed me knew nothing about this disease, except that I had to go gluten-free. But, after a year he said that I could cheat once a month since I was feeling so much better. NO YOU CAN'T CHEAT. The first month I cheated, I had no symtoms and I thought this was great. The second month I did my once a month cheating, I felt some minor symptoms. The third month, I felt MAJOR symptoms. I have never cheated since. My doctor is NOW educated that there is not cheating on this - NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU FEEL. This is really not too difficult, once you get the hang of it. We eat just like normal people in our home and I am the only one with Celiac. We have pasta and all the things necessary to feed three people who can eat gluten. But, ALL of the things I serve are gluten free and I feed an 18 yr old and a 20 yr old. They love my gluten-free brownies and even eat my pasta. This diet is VERY dueable. Good Luck and keep posting.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#8 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

I agree with everyone else. You have to go on the gluten free diet. I was sick alot, and since going gluten-free I haven't had all the downs. Did your doc not tell you to cut ALL gluten out? I know it seems hard, but it is easier then you think. And it's very healthy. You said you had lost weight recently, the gluten-free diet would be a good way to keep it off! :D (I'm just trying to give you insentive)

Good Luck!

-Lollie
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: